Highlighted

Shift Key Won't Constrain Proportions

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me and I have the same problem in InDesign CC 2017 AND InDesign 2018. It was fine until I upgraded to CC2017 10.1.3. This is maddening. I have a big job to finish that's full of photos in circle frames. They have to be perfect circles and I can no longer create them.

I guess I could export and .idml, open that in a previous version where it DOES work, then when I'm done, export the document AGAIN as an idml so I can reopen it in CC 2018 to export a 3rd time for my client. Can't understand how Adobe can do the 'who me?' response as though it isn't their problem, which it so obviously is.

MacOS 10.13.4

InDesign 13.1

I've just tested on a different login on the same machine and the key combinations work as expected, so there seems to be some conflict. I'll test further and report back.

OK, so I manually quit all my open apps and logged out of my user account and then back in again (not a full restart) and allowed all my usual system extensions to load, so my setup was normal apart from open apps. Then tested InDesign and it worked as normal, so it seems like it could be a conflict with another app. I haven't time to test more thoroughly now but I will keep an eye on it and report back if I discover anything useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Shift Key Won't Constrain Proportions

New Here ,
Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't work for me and I have the same problem in InDesign CC 2017 AND InDesign 2018. It was fine until I upgraded to CC2017 10.1.3. This is maddening. I have a big job to finish that's full of photos in circle frames. They have to be perfect circles and I can no longer create them.

I guess I could export and .idml, open that in a previous version where it DOES work, then when I'm done, export the document AGAIN as an idml so I can reopen it in CC 2018 to export a 3rd time for my client. Can't understand how Adobe can do the 'who me?' response as though it isn't their problem, which it so obviously is.

MacOS 10.13.4

InDesign 13.1

I've just tested on a different login on the same machine and the key combinations work as expected, so there seems to be some conflict. I'll test further and report back.

OK, so I manually quit all my open apps and logged out of my user account and then back in again (not a full restart) and allowed all my usual system extensions to load, so my setup was normal apart from open apps. Then tested InDesign and it worked as normal, so it seems like it could be a conflict with another app. I haven't time to test more thoroughly now but I will keep an eye on it and report back if I discover anything useful.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 20, 2018 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try the InDesign forum for help with that app.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 0
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Shift key is not working, it's highly likely that another application (or its extensions or plug-ins) is interfering with InDesign's modifier keys.

To test it, reboot your computer and open InDesign first before any other application. Observe whether the problem persists. Mostly likely, it will be fine. Then one-by-one open your applications to see which one is the culprit. Often it's a plug-in for your web browser or something like a virus detector.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 2
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been new to CC 2019 for 3 weeks now (from 2015) and could never get the Shift key to constrain proportions in Indd. Thought it was something they changed, put somewhere else. Finally checked out this blog and rebooted as you suggested, opening up Indd first... and it worked. Not sure what the culprit is, yet. Thank you, thank you--I was going crazy!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My shift key has not been working to constrian proportions and it has been driving me crazy! I turned off my virus detector and it instantly worked!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 17, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lobbcreative,

As per your query shift key is not scaling objects proportionally anymore. If yes, please try resetting preferences for InDesign: Set preferences in Adobe InDesign and let us know if that helps!

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 0
Advisor ,
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Try this sequence: select the frame tool, then hold down the Shift key first before you drag, and release the Shift key after you release the mouse. First in, Last out. (Ditto for resizing a circular frame. Shouldn't be necessary but sometimes helps.)

or

2) Select the circular frame w/the Selection tool and resize it from the keyboard: Command-> (the greater-than symbol above the period) scales up the image and the frame itself proportionately; Command-< (the comma key) scales it down. Add the Option key to scale in greater increments. (On Windows, Command is the Control key, Option is the Alt key.)

or

3) if the circle is not a perfect circle, make it so by giving it equal measures in Width and Height in the Control panel.

or

4) If you're using InDesign CC 2018, you can make an Object Style that creates a perfect circular frame (at your standard size or just a starting size), then just apply that style to your bad boys. Use one of the above methods to resize it afterwards, if your circle frames are at diff sizes in the file.

f-perfectcircle.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 0
Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the interim, you can still create circle by simply clicking with the tool on the layout and entering the dimensions required. Any adjustment can be performed in the Control Strip.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lobbcreative,

I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.

Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2018 0