• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Span Columns?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody know where the Span Columns went in ID 2019? I can't find it on the properties panel.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Window > Control or set the workspace to Essentials Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same place it’s always been. Paragraph panel or the paragraph styles panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with the new default layout which has the new Properties panel. It's nowhere to be found here.

When the properties panel was at the top, it was always near where you'd set the columns.

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 5.09.54 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window > Control or set the workspace to Essentials Classic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this re-sets the properties to the top again, however is there an option to specify 'span columns' in the new dialogue window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should make a paragraph style and include Span Columns there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, was this answered? I really prefer the new Essentials on the right of the page, but the span columns control is missing from the paragraph settings and character settings. I'm also not seeing any option to customize the control panel. I guess it's back to the legacy Essentials...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can set up a workspace any way you want. The included presets are just a starting point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My assumption from your question was that you were suffering from the same missing span controls that I was in 2019. Span controls used to be accessible via the control panel along the top of the screen (mine was at the far right). I used them there fairly often. Until 5 minutes ago I couldn't find them in 2019. -- It looks like Adobe changed them from showing with the character-related items (on the far right) to the paragraph-related items (now in the middle). See my attached images for a visual.2018.jpg2019.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Span Columns show up in Paragraph mode if you monitor has enough room to display it. You can use the Customize menu at the far right of the Control panel to choose which items are included in the display. Span Columns is a paragraph attribute.

If you have a very large screen (as you do), there may be room to add paragraph-mode items at the far right of  Character mode in the Control Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Did they forget to include it in CC 2019!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MINDPRESS ,

no issue at all, I think. The feature is still there, but it is not available in the new Properties panel.

Window > Text and Tables > Paragraph > Span Columns

From my German InDesign CC 2019 on WIndows 10:

SpanColumns-1.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem having just updated to 2019. I've set the workspace to 'essentials classic' but still no column span which I constantly need to access. See attached screen shot - it would normally have appeared in the gap on the right. There's no option to add it in the panels 'customise' options. How do I get it back?!

Screenshot 2018-12-03 at 11.47.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't text selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I see now, thanks - having selected the text I need to do as per post number 6 (graphicsguy2) has said!

Always a pain when something you've used daily for years gets moved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2018 Dec 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use 'columns' and 'span columns' a lot, so having that always available in the Control panel, as in ID 2017 (on MacBook Pro 2017), is much more efficient than having to click through the paragraph menu to the 'options' tab, then to the 'span columns' to finally be able to specify the number of columns!

The properties tab doesn't feature it either, though I see that other users on here can see it.

Annoyingly, the Control panel has a blank space on the righthand side now, so lack of space is not a reason to remove it. Many other settings can be set in multiple menus - eg fonts, which can be set in the Control panel, the Character panel and through the Type menu. (At least the content of the Control panel doesn't disappear completely as it did in the recent 2018 update.)

Users can personalise several aspects of the interface, why not the content/appearance of the Control panel as well? We all work in different ways and on different types of project and this approach doesn't help me work more efficiently.

For the time being I will continue to use ID 2017 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi lizg

If you look at the screenshots on answer 6 you'll see it is still available (in 'Essentials Classic' view) but you have to click on the paragraph icon to see it - its not in the same place it used to be

I agree with you in that I much preferred it where it was as it was grouped together will all the other typography features I needed constant access to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johna

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, I really appreciate it. I've already tried 'essentials classic' but for some reason, span columns still doesn't appear in the paragraph controls ribbon. I have selected 'customise ...' under the settings icon to the far right and ticked 'text columns' but still no luck. It appears on some screenshots in this thread, though they may be from a Windows PC and I'm using a Mac. It makes me think it could be a bug, maybe related to some completely different setting (I've even checked  ID preferences). I'll wait for the next update I think ...

Screenshot 2018-12-06 12.32.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How wide is your monitor? It appears that you'rs is not very wide and may not have room to display the span features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be the case. For reference, I'm using a 13" MacBook Pro (2017 model). By trying different combinations of the customise settings (for both the paragraph and character ribbon), I've finally got the 'span columns' control to appear. Screenshot 2018-12-06 18.54.34.png

Screenshot 2018-12-06 18.55.14.png

For what it's worth, and for anyone else using a similar sized monitor, here are the 'customise' options that I selected to get what I personally need. Note that there is some duplication in the displayed items - eg some character items also appear in the paragraph ribbons, depending on what else is selected, likewise some paragraph items appear in the character ribbon. That is something that I wasn't able to control.

Anyway, it looks like I now have what I need to work the way I want to, so a good result ...!

Screenshot 2018-12-06 19.06.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have a small screen it wont show up anyway.

But yes, it's available in the paragraph section of top panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2019 Feb 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This same thing was driving me bonkers. I came up with an ok solution until Adobe gives us an update with span columns option in the new properties panel:

Make a key-command for it.

• Go to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts
  • Under PANEL MENUS you'll find Paragraph > span columns…
  • Assign the key command of your choice (command+option+1 seemed handy to me)

When you're working and in the text tool, press your key command, then use the down arrow to quickly scroll to the span option you need and hit return.

This is actually fewer clicks than the old 2018 way, so it's nice once you're used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2019 Apr 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Span Columns 2.jpgSpan Columns 1.jpg

Here are some screen shots of Span Column for 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 10, 2019 May 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be an easier way, however, I went to Window >> Type & Tables >> Paragraph. At this point the Paragraph window should pop up, much like the one included in the Properties panel on the right. Click on the horizontal lines in the top right corner of the panel and you will see the "Span Columns" option.

indesign_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using ID2018 (because 2019 still has too many bugs for me), with Windows 10, on a Lenovo computer with a large AOC monitor. No matter whose suggestions I follow, my Chapter Title will not span any columns. I've tried 2 columns,  All, and 3 just in case it wants to include the space between columns. (I long since deleted and updated my Preferences, so I don't think it's that.) Seems like such a simple instruction. Thank you for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines