Highlighted

Table: How to align text to baseline grid?

Explorer ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aligning text in a table cell to the baseline grid does not work for me:

baseline-cell.png

Should it work?

Background: I have a few two-column tables that I just want to inline in the text. One of them is a schedule with dates on the left and items on the right. Nothing fancy.

In the end I got table cells and text aligned to the grid by selecting Relative To: Top Of Page. This is a hack, but with the grid relative to top margin, I just couldn’t get it to work.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide more details as my subscription has expired.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Table: How to align text to baseline grid?

Explorer ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aligning text in a table cell to the baseline grid does not work for me:

baseline-cell.png

Should it work?

Background: I have a few two-column tables that I just want to inline in the text. One of them is a schedule with dates on the left and items on the right. Nothing fancy.

In the end I got table cells and text aligned to the grid by selecting Relative To: Top Of Page. This is a hack, but with the grid relative to top margin, I just couldn’t get it to work.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 28, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi feklee:

Did you create a paragraph style for the text within the table, and snap it to the baseline grid? You said you are using the same style as the text—are there overrides in play? Yes, this should work.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 9.24.19 AM.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2019 0
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi feklee:

I've never used tables and baseline grids together, but once I snap the text to the grid, I can't break it, either as an inline table or floating as in my screenshot above. Inline does introduce a set of spacing issues that would have to be solved, but the text in the cells stays on the grid no matter what I do. (Played with frame-based grid vs defining for the document, various cell heights and constraints.)

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2019 0
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Feklee,

Read through this thread: Table text won't align to baseline grid

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2019 0
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane:

I played with this for a bit. I moved my table inline, and it made no difference if I changed it to top margin or top of page. I couldn't break it.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.02.05 AM.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2019 0
Explorer ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a brand new letter document it works (standard everything, except that I selected align to baseline grid😞

default.png

Once I change the grid size and make it start relative to the top margin, things go bad:

changed.png

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi feklee ,

I think we have to see your test document.

Please upload it to Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Explorer ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a default letter document created with a standard installation of InDesign on Windows 10.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I'm working with a German version of InDesign I'd like to rule out any difference to your version.

Thanks,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Align baseline grid and table... almost always a no go, you're asking for problems imo. Why don't you just center your text horizontal in the cells? Much better in most cases.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 29, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, it actually only is a no-go because of lacking table functionalities in InDesign. As a person working with tables in InDesign since man discovered fire, there are a few things which could be improved in the field. But two of those are glaring omissions from Adobe:

• multiple non-adjacent cells selection!
  • automated interaction of table row height with baseline grid (i.e. where row heights snap to baseline grid after cell contents, for instance)! EDIT: if this was a thing, it would solve all vertical space problems related to tables, because it would be enough to create a paragraph style with a leading matching that of the baseline grid to use and style the cells text with. Then you'd have real, modular, accurate control of tables' vertical deployment in the page space (not addressing overset cells, though).

Addition of just those two would make life tremendously easier. We're not asking for problems — only dealing with the ones not solved...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 0
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mymymymy:

This is a user-to-user forum (users helping other users). If you want Adobe to consider including your ideas in a future version, please post them here: https://indesign.uservoice.com/.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

yes, I know. All done. Though my post here isn't wasted if it can attract a vote or two in favor of my feature request! 🙂
Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 1
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On that note, please post the link here so that people with the same concerns will vote it up!

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 02, 2020 1
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Feklee,
I found the same problem today! I went crazy thinking that it was some parameter that had changed, but then I created a new document, I tried it again and I saw that it was not my problem. I have created a paragraph style with the text aligned to the Baseline grid. The text aligns with the baseline grid using it outside the table, but not inside the cell. As you say, it's possible to modify the upper margin of the cell to snap the text to the baseline grid. But I think it's a fudge... I hope they solve the problem in future updates! Thanks for your help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0