The telephone hyperlink works perfectly when I export my InDesign document to an interactive pdf. But, when I choose to PUBLISH ONLINE, the hyperlink does not work, it goes to about:blank (which is a new tab and a blank page).
I am using InDesign CC. Is there a way to make the phone number hyperlinks work?
How EXACTLY are you creating this? Are you viewing it on a phone?
Bob and Srishti, Thanks for your responses. I am creating this document in InDesign and then Publishing Online. I would like for people viewing my document on phones, tablets, or computers with dialing apps to be able to click on the phone number and make the phone call. This is possible in an interactive pdf, by using a URL link and inputting it and typing this format into the URL space: tel:15052220000. But, when I use this format in the document and publish it online, it opens a tab that says "account error." Instead of dialing.
I did speak with someone from Adobe that gave me a way to make the phone numbers into links that will dial. I really appreciated the help. For anyone else that has this question or problem, here is the solution: Make it a button!
1. Draw a text box the size you want the button to be
2. Select the text box
3. From Button panel select Button
4. Click of + in the Button Panel for new action and choose "Go to URL"
5. In the URL space, take out "http" and replace with "tel" so that your new URL space will read "tel://and here put 1 plus your area code and phone number with no spaces (ex: tel://15052220000 )
6. Place your button onto the phone number. (Through your InDesign style panel, you can make the number a hyperlink style so that people know it is interactive) But, when people click on it, it will actually be the text box BUTTON that is activated, not the actual number i the text.
When you say telephone hyperlink, do you mean a number to call/SMS? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of hyperlink panel of your document?
This is great! Helped me out in a bind.
Interactive PDF! Asking someone is a true and tried method to find the answer myself 🤦🏻:female_sign:😅
Hello dear JennyABQ, hello dear Adobe community,
this all sounds very plausible and I have followed each of the steps. But: When I exported the interactive PDF and try the button, it just opens my default browser (without any hint of the linked phone number ^^; ). Is this "normal" and is it supposed to be like this or should another application (through which you want to make phone calls) have opened?
Maybe it only works if you open the PDF on your smartphone?
It would be cool to be able to open an internet telephony application from the desktop in the same way.
Do you or anyone else in the community have an answer to this question? 🙂
Stay great and have a creative time you all!