Highlighted

telephone number hyperlink

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The telephone hyperlink works perfectly when I export my InDesign document to an interactive pdf. But, when I choose to PUBLISH ONLINE, the hyperlink does not work, it goes to about:blank (which is a new tab and a blank page).

I am using InDesign CC. Is there a way to make the phone number hyperlinks work?

Bob and Srishti, Thanks for your responses. I am creating this document in InDesign and then Publishing Online. I would like for people viewing my document on phones, tablets, or computers with dialing apps to be able to click on the phone number and make the phone call. This is possible in an interactive pdf, by using a URL link and inputting it and typing this format into the URL space: tel:15052220000. But, when I use this format in the document and publish it online, it opens a tab that says "account error." Instead of dialing.

I did speak with someone from Adobe that gave me a way to make the phone numbers into links that will dial. I really appreciated the help. For anyone else that has this question or problem, here is the solution: Make it a button!

1. Draw a text box the size you want the button to be

2. Select the text box

3. From Button panel select Button

4. Click of +  in the Button Panel for new action and choose "Go to URL"

5. In the URL space, take out "http" and replace with "tel" so that your new URL space will read "tel://and here put 1 plus your area code and phone number with no spaces (ex: tel://15052220000 )

6. Place your button onto the phone number. (Through your InDesign style panel, you can make the number a hyperlink style so that people know it is interactive) But, when people click on it, it will actually be the text box BUTTON that is activated, not the actual number i the text.

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

telephone number hyperlink

New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The telephone hyperlink works perfectly when I export my InDesign document to an interactive pdf. But, when I choose to PUBLISH ONLINE, the hyperlink does not work, it goes to about:blank (which is a new tab and a blank page).

I am using InDesign CC. Is there a way to make the phone number hyperlinks work?

Bob and Srishti, Thanks for your responses. I am creating this document in InDesign and then Publishing Online. I would like for people viewing my document on phones, tablets, or computers with dialing apps to be able to click on the phone number and make the phone call. This is possible in an interactive pdf, by using a URL link and inputting it and typing this format into the URL space: tel:15052220000. But, when I use this format in the document and publish it online, it opens a tab that says "account error." Instead of dialing.

I did speak with someone from Adobe that gave me a way to make the phone numbers into links that will dial. I really appreciated the help. For anyone else that has this question or problem, here is the solution: Make it a button!

2. Select the text box

5. In the URL space, take out "http" and replace with "tel" so that your new URL space will read "tel://and here put 1 plus your area code and phone number with no spaces (ex: tel://15052220000 )

6. Place your button onto the phone number. (Through your InDesign style panel, you can make the number a hyperlink style so that people know it is interactive) But, when people click on it, it will actually be the text box BUTTON that is activated, not the actual number i the text.

Topics

How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How EXACTLY are you creating this? Are you viewing it on a phone?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Select the text box

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
MEWE LATEST
New Here ,
May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really helped

thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JennyABQ,

When you say telephone hyperlink, do you mean a number to call/SMS? Would you mind sharing a screenshot of hyperlink panel of your document?

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is great! Helped me out in a bind.

Thanks JennyABQ!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines