• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent Gradient Washes Out Photo

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a Gradient Feather from black to transparent, but I feel that it is really washing out the photo underneath. Is there a way to maintain the color of the photo and have a gradient? See photo: at the bottom it looks very white.Washed out gradient.JPG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Try setting the frame with the Gradient Feather Effect to Multiply, or set the document’s Transparency Blend Space to RGB. Here my frame has a default [Black] fill with the Gradient Feather applied (looks like you have black to white Gradient Swatch applied along with the Gradient Feather?)

Normal Blend mode

Screen Shot 17.png

Multiply with CMYK Blend Space:

Screen Shot 18.png

RGB Blend space with Normal Blend Mode:

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the Fill of the Graphic Frame a Rich Black (C:50, M: 40, Y: 40, K: 100). Select the image itself by clicking on the Content Grabber in the center. Then apply the Gradient Feather to the image itself, NOT the Frame.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what the feature gradient does—it fades from full color to transparency. You can prolong the color fade by dragging the gradient line well below the box. That said, the color in the photo doesn't look like I would expect. How exactly did you define the gradient?

~Barb 

gf.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I still had the test file open when I saw Jeff's answer, I went ahead and recorded it to show the difference. If this works for you, please mark Jeff's answer as correct, or tell us and I'll take care of it. 

~Barb 

gf2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have done what both of you have suggested and it looks the same. 

Suggestion.JPG

I want it to look like this (see below). This gradient is something I copied over from another document that someone else created. I want to know how to recreate this gradient that keeps the rich color. When I try to recreate the gradient rectangle, it never turns out the same, even though I match the settings.... any ideas?

Good gradient.JPG

good gradient settings.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try setting the frame with the Gradient Feather Effect to Multiply, or set the document’s Transparency Blend Space to RGB. Here my frame has a default [Black] fill with the Gradient Feather applied (looks like you have black to white Gradient Swatch applied along with the Gradient Feather?)

Normal Blend mode

Screen Shot 17.png

Multiply with CMYK Blend Space:

Screen Shot 18.png

RGB Blend space with Normal Blend Mode:

Screen Shot 19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines