• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to customize page options while printing as a PostScript file | macOS

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2021 Jul 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I really hope someone can help me.

My end goal is to make a PDF of an Indesign book file that has been re-ordered for perfect bound signatures with 16 pages in each. In the past I've been able to do this through Print Booklet --> Create a PostScript File with all my settings --> then save it as a PDF from there. 

My problem is, I'm on a new computer now and I cannot customize page sizes or options for post script files (It's an 8.5x11 file but the PostScript file always comes out portrait orientation and cuts off part of the book (Basically won't rotate)

I tried the "Solution" where you create a PPDs folder in the Presets of Indesign and then download ADPDF9.PPD . It does not work for me for an unknown reason, I still only see "Device Dependent" under PPD Options.

Please help!

TOPICS
Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the end goal for your book file is to create a PDF, you're better off just creating a PDF.

1. 1.jpgOpen your InDesign Book file (.INDB), which gets you access to all your book documents.
  2. In the Book panel (mine is named for the client's book, Humanism) and go to the flyaway menu at the upper right of the panel. You can use the Export Book to PDF... to create your PDF directly without the complications you're having to first create your .PS file then translate it into a .PDF file.

You have all the PDF creation options you'd have creating your PDF from a .PS file with Acrobat Distiller. And get exactly the end product you're looking for. Please give this a try, and let us know how it works out for you.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Randy,

Thanks for your help- so it's not an .indb file its an indd. - I'm guessing there's no easy way to convert an indd to indb?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't, but maybe we can find another way to help.

I've got a bunch of questions for you:

About the book: How big is it? How many pages? Does it have pictures, and if it does, how many? Is the complete book built in one InDesign file, or a bunch of files? Was the book built on your computer, or did somebody else hand it to you to work on? How many other people are working with the book's InDesign files?

About InDesign: What version of InDesign are you using? Are you using it on a Mac or Windows system? Do you have Adobe Acrobat installed on the system? Do you have other Adobe applications, like Photoshop and Illustrator installed too?

Publishing process: Are you going to print it yourself? Are you handing the files over to someone else to print the book for you? When you talk about "re-ordering" are you trying to set up the perfect-bound forms yourself? Are you going to publish it digially too as an ebook or online?

If you can share this information, hopefully we can help you get to where you want to be. There are lots of sharp folks around here who can lend a hand, but we need more detail about what you've got and what you want to do with it to be able to help you.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines