Unable to save InDesign document. Error: InDesign is unable to save this file.

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've installed the latest update of Indesign 2020. I'm now experiencing problems in that if I open a converted version of an Indesign docment, make changes then try to save, it says "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig. 1). I have tried to save a copy of my document and it says the same thing. I have even tried to create a new document in Indesign 2020, save it as a test before putting anything in it and again the same message, "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig 2).  Is it a bug in the new Indesign update? Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019? Could someone please help me?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020
Hi Georgie,   So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.      If it is happening with multiple...

translate

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to InD 2019 as 2020 is very slow for me and others. 

Maybe safer to roll back to 2019 if you're having issues.

Make sure to log your bugs so they can be addressed in future fixes. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019?

Try it, if not helps then contact Adobe support

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by a "converted" document? If you are opening a document from an earlier version of InDesign then it would simply open and would upon saving become a 2020 document. It doesn't become 2020 until it is saved. Is this happening with more than one document? Have you tried exporting the document as an IDML and then reopening the IDML in your version of CC 2020? This can clear up some forms of corruption.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Georgie,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If it is happening with multiple files, try resetting preferences for InDesign by following these steps and share your observations:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently having this issue as well - cannot save newly created nor previously created files. Everything comes up with a "InDesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged" message. I've tried doing these steps, restarting my computer, installing older version of INDD and absolutely nothing is working. I have freelance projects that function in InDesign so this is critical.

Please help!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently I can't save anything from Photoshop either.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashrmey,

I've found that the problem is fixed when Indesign 2021 is installed. Hope that helps.

Best of luck.

Kind regards,

Georgie_67

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the almost 6 month delay in replying. Thankyou everyone for the suggestions. I have found that the problem is fixed with the installation of the Indesign 2021. Thank you again. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues since installign 2021 InDesign. File won't save and give the appears to be damaged error... but then the file name shows up in the desintation but it is locked and won't open and also cannot be deleted because I do not have permission or it is open by another user--but no one else is using it. Happens with anything that save as new--either by doing "save as" using an old file with a new name. Or starting from scratch with file new and naming it. And only happens on network. It is fine when I save to my desk top. My work around has been saving to the desk top then copying to the network--file is fine then and can be opened and saved no problem. Seems to be only happening when the file name changes either with save as, or naming the new file for the first time. I've uninstalled and reinstalled. I cannot find the file names to change as suggested.... even did a search and it is not on my machine anywhere. 

• Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also newly having this issue (as in, just the last week or so) and I'm running Adobe 2021 on Catalina. First I can't save over jpgs or png files in Photoshop anymore without it putting copy on the end, now I CAN'T SAVE INDESIGN FILES.

Ok, that last part is a bit dramatic because... they actually do save. Or at least so far they have. Even though the error comes up, I hit ok, then close it and when it asks if I want to save it, I hit Don't Save, because hitting save just gives you the same error. When I reopen the file, my changes are there. THAT DOES NOT MEAN THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM. Who knows how long that little bug within a bug will actually last.

Adobe, for the love of all that is holy, get your act together. You charge enough money, should these problems not span YEARS or crop up for new users. Maybe? Yeah? You're making me regret my decision to become anything graphics related, and I'm too old to do anything else now.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines