Highlighted

Unable to save InDesign document. Error: InDesign is unable to save this file.

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've installed the latest update of Indesign 2020. I'm now experiencing problems in that if I open a converted version of an Indesign docment, make changes then try to save, it says "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig. 1). I have tried to save a copy of my document and it says the same thing. I have even tried to create a new document in Indesign 2020, save it as a test before putting anything in it and again the same message, "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig 2).  Is it a bug in the new Indesign update? Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019? Could someone please help me?

Hi Georgie,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If it is happening with multiple files, try resetting preferences for InDesign by following these steps and share your observations:

For Windows 

• Close all Adobe applications. 
  • Go to Locations : 
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe  
  • C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe. 
  •  Rename InDesign folders to InDesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from CC. 

For MAC  

• Close all adobe applications 
  • Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 
  • Launch InDesign from the CC 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Unable to save InDesign document. Error: InDesign is unable to save this file.

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I've installed the latest update of Indesign 2020. I'm now experiencing problems in that if I open a converted version of an Indesign docment, make changes then try to save, it says "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried, but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig. 1). I have tried to save a copy of my document and it says the same thing. I have even tried to create a new document in Indesign 2020, save it as a test before putting anything in it and again the same message, "Indesign is unable to save this file. We tried but it appears to be damaged." (See Indesign 2020 Fig 2).  Is it a bug in the new Indesign update? Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019? Could someone please help me?

Hi Georgie,

So sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, you may also try moving the pages to a new document (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/pages-spreads-1.html) and see if that helps. Is the issue related to a specific document? If yes, could you please share the document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

If it is happening with multiple files, try resetting preferences for InDesign by following these steps and share your observations:

For Windows 

• Go to Locations : 

For MAC  

• Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 
  • Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign to Adobe InDesign.old and com.adobe.indesign.old 

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and InDesign will recreate new folders with default settings.  

Regards,

Srishti

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 18, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've gone back to InD 2019 as 2020 is very slow for me and others. 

Maybe safer to roll back to 2019 if you're having issues.

Make sure to log your bugs so they can be addressed in future fixes. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> Do I uninstall it and reinstall Indesign 2019?

Try it, if not helps then contact Adobe support

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly do you mean by a "converted" document? If you are opening a document from an earlier version of InDesign then it would simply open and would upon saving become a 2020 document. It doesn't become 2020 until it is saved. Is this happening with more than one document? Have you tried exporting the document as an IDML and then reopening the IDML in your version of CC 2020? This can clear up some forms of corruption.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Georgie,

For Windows 

• Go to Locations : 

For MAC  

• Go to Locations:  
  • ~/Library/Caches 
  • ~/Library/Preferences 

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 19, 2020 0