• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Vertical Text Tool InDesign CC 2020

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I know this subject has been asked around since forever. And for some reason I can't seem to find the solution to this?

I'm using my all adobe programs in german, and I did have the vertical text tool a while back (because my friend needed it for something and claimed hers didn't have it). I even have a screenshot from my conversation with my friend. I've seen people say it's available in the japanese and chinese version. But I was and am using the german one, as visible in the screenshot as well.

The thing is though, that I need that tool for japanese text. However, for some reason I don't have that option anymore? I did not update my my programs since, and I tried creating text boxes using japanese text and having the japanese keyboard active. 

Luckily I still had the file I send my friend a while back containing a text box with vertical text inside. So I was able to copy paste that.

Can someone let me know how to activate that option again?

Bildschirmfoto_2020-07-02_um_22.32.08.png

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pamela:

This article offers several ways to achieve vertical text in InDesign. I prefer using a vertical path, but you can decide. 

https://indesignsecrets.com/setting-vertical-text-in-indesign.php

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb!

Thank you, I've seen that article. But I was wondering what happened to the tool I had? Because the tool was the easiest and better solution as it created a text box and I was able to adjust spacing and everything was set for vertical text. Using paths for a whole paragraph, is not the best solution in my case. I'm just really confused as I had the tool before that is what everyone ever asked and wanted but now it's gone?

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-22 um 09.34.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I don't know why you had the vertical tool, then did not, but I created the eampley Ellis_home directed you to. You can copy a vertical text frame from the template and use the character style to get the effect you need, I think. 

All versions of InDesign have all the features of other languages (e.g. vertical text for Asian lanaguages, RTL for Middle Eastern lanaguages), it's just a question of having the UI of your version expose these features. Once they've been introduced, any version will support them. 

Hope that makes sense. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I fortunetely already had a copy of an old document I did that contained a textbox with vertical text in it. But for some reason I can't get the tool to show up anymore. Even while having the vertical text box selected, I only have the horizontal text tool. I'm wondering if this is a bug? Or if there is a way to force the tool to show? I'm just really confused on how and why it ever disapeared on me.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-22 um 13.18.27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Barb, why can't we go back to the to Tool? It was so much easier to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines