• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why are my pages numbering from right to left. How do I fix it

New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this happening? How do I fix it? Help please!

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 5.43.06 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Hi,

That is simply because you are not using an English version but an Arabic (Or middle eastern) version of InDesign.

All you now need to do is to change the binding of your document from the document options. Something like this...

1. Original document

2. Go to Document Setup

3. Change the binding to Left to Right

Let me know if this is your case

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. Any idea how this occurred? Is it associated with a language setting? Is this a new installation of InDesign?

The only thing I can suggest is to create a new document with the same document setup (check that the page numbers look normal), and then use File > Place to place these pages into the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That is simply because you are not using an English version but an Arabic (Or middle eastern) version of InDesign.

All you now need to do is to change the binding of your document from the document options. Something like this...

1. Original document

2. Go to Document Setup

3. Change the binding to Left to Right

Let me know if this is your case

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you are right. This document was created on a computer that was set up for Arabic. However, I do not have the binding option on my document set up menu. Do you know where I can find it?

Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 10.52.26 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It can not be done from your English version.

I recommend you get the binding option changes through the machine from which this document was made.

Another way (not recommended over your English InDesign and hence try with your own discretion) is Find and install Hebrew or Arabic editions of InDesign CC or Illustrator CC

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install additional—without uninstalling—the Arabic Version. Change the language settings in the CC Desktip Application and install InDesign again, it will add the missing RTL features to your local version. No need to uninstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now we understand what happened. Did you try File > Place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, thank you! 

Indeed, I had to switch to the middle eastern version once – and apparently never switched back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Alexandra,

one could also execute a little ExtendScript (JavaScript) code to change the binding of the active document:

app.documents[0].documentPreferences.pageBinding =
PageBindingOptions.LEFT_TO_RIGHT ;

/*

Available values for pageBinding:

PageBindingOptions.LEFT_TO_RIGHT
PageBindingOptions.DEFAULT_VALUE
PageBindingOptions.RIGHT_TO_LEFT

*/

Also check if value PageBindingOptions.DEFAULT_VALUE is already doing the trick.

How to save code as script file, install the script file and run the script with InDesign's Scripts panel see:

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines