• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Book Module – Unfinished book vanishes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m creating my first Blurb book inside of Lightroom 4. There are some 175 images in my collection/filmstrip. I was about 80% complete with the book, when I selected an image to go into the Development Module for adjustments. When done I returned to the Book Module. But the book was gone! The filmstrip at the bottom of the page is there indicating images are in the book, but the book itself is empty with only a cover and two blank pages. If I add an already “used” image, the filmstrip counter goes from 1 to 2.

Trying to fix this problem, I backed up and optimized my catalog. But upon restarting Lightroom no change... and no book!

Any suggestions as how to get my book back? Or do I have to start over!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 02, 2012 Dec 02, 2012
Hi Ben,

This bug is fixed in Lightroom 4.3. Upgrading may not recover your book, but will prevent you from losing books in the future.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012
Sharad, the product manager for Lightroom, has just posted an update as blog entry on this book issue. It includes specifics on what can cause it and how to avoid it. Thanks to the help of Marko and few other users the team has tracked down a reproducible case/steps that the team can use to nail down a more permanent fix in a future update to Lightroom 4:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjourn...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Advisor ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,
The tag " Solved" should be removed, since the bug is encountred by several users despite 4.1final.
Cornelia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2012 Jul 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. This sucks. I just lost a book. Go to know I'm alone but how incredibly frustrating. I am running 4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a week since my previous post on this thread and still no reply from Jeffrey or any other Adobe customer service representative.

I have already called the company twice. On both instances I was told that my technical problem was being escalated to a higher level of technical support and that I should expect a call from them within 24 hours. It's been a week and I have yet to be contacted by anyone from Adobe.

The latest release 4.1 has not solved the issue as Jeffrey previously claimed.

Has anyone any news on this topic ?

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe. Just wanted to point out, I am running 4.1. So that has NOT solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ben D.

Thank you for your post and for letting me know about my typo.

As I wrote my post I meant to write that it had not solved the issue. I am also running version 4.1 and also lost my book while running this version.

I've edited my post to make it clear.

Thanks again for your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running 4.1 on my Mac and I just ran into the same issue. After working on my book all day long it suddenly lost all of it's pages. In the film strip at the bottom all the images that were used on a page still have the black box with a number over the top of them, but the pages are gone.

Please tell me there's some way to get my pages back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 20, 2012 Jul 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaarrgghhh...

Ok - so 4.1 does not provide the claimed fix - I've been running 4.1 since the update on a mac. Copy and paste out of another book and voila. Book lost. 136 pages including around 400 images.

Absolutely brilliant and has made my day. Not. This has happened to me on several occasions, and whilst usually my backup is up to date, today it isn't, therefore (a huge amount of) work lost :-o

It appears, that the only way to recover is from a backup and whilst I appreciate that in this instance I have failed with this, it is hardly practical to backup a catalogue following every single page I add to a book, just in case it chooses to vanish into thin air!

I have to say, whilst I like the idea that lightroom has a book module, it (still) appears to be full of bugs despite assurances that these have been addressed, and is currently ranked as the most frustrating piece of software I've ever used!

Not only does the 'vanishing book' bug still exist, there also still appears to still be (for seemingly no reason at all), a bug where a book decides it suddenly won't export to pdf or blurb.

So hitting the export button just does nothing. I'm aware that a number of people have experienced this too. The only way I was able to 'fix' this was to spend hours removing pages and then rebuilding them in the hope of finding something that was clashing.

Eventually it worked, but together with that, and now having to rebuild my last work after it disappeared, I've lost count of the hours that have been wasted.

Come on Adobe - play fair please. At least recognise that a number of issues you claim have been fixed have not and give us some reassurance that you're dealing with them.

Keeping silence or telling us that something is fixed when it clearly is not is not the way to conduct your business.

If your developers need any help in replicating these issues, I'll quite happily pop over and see you guys to demonstrate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 23, 2012 Jul 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The book module bug that has been fixed in the 4.1 release is very specific.

It sounds like you may have an entirely different bug. We are not aware of an issue involving copying/pasting pages. Could you give a step by step to reproduce so we can look into getting it fixed?

Also, we are not aware of any bug involving a book not being able to export. Again, can you provide step by step instructions to reproduce?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems there is a separate bug than the one we have fixed in the 4.1 release. However, we have yet to reproduce it on our side. No one has been able to give us step-by-step instructions on how to make this behavior happen. Until we see it on our side, we cannot find the code responsible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug that has been marked as solved for the 4.1 release was fixed. The problems that people seem to facing now is entirely different (although some of the symptoms are the same). We need step by step instructions to reproduce so we can find a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett. I cannot speak for the other user, but my issue had nothing to do with copy paste. I simply switch from the book module to the library module briefly.. then back to the book module and my book was gone. I had to recover from a time machine back-up. I was running 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should also mention that I can't give you more specific steps to recreate. I've done this particular series of clicks many times without an issue. I have no idea what was different that caused the book to disappear. To be clear, the filmstrip in the book module still showed all my pictures in use (with the little "1" at the top). But all the page layouts were gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett - I am seeing the same thing as Ben. All my thumbs in the filmstrip that used to be on pages still have the little "1"s at the top. Would it help if I gave you an exported catalog file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I may have saved the "bad" catalog as well and would be willing to upload. I'll have to check at home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm... I've had others report that even the numbers above the photos disappears in the film strip, that the book resets completely, just the collection remains. Brian, let's work together on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett - Sure. I exported the book as its own catalog. You can still see the numbers above the un-used thumbs in the now-empty book. I am zipping all the files now then I will put it in my shared folder and email you the link. I can also send the original catalog, but that is even bigger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to reopen a finished book, the book collection shows all fotos but the book itself shows only a empty cover and an empty first page, the fotos are marked as used in the book.
Any way to get the book back, ist there any way to store the book outside of the lightroom catalog?
I use LightRoom 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the SECOND time that I have lost the contents of a 200 page book that I was working on in the book module of Lightroom 4.1. I am now starting all over again. This happened on the previous book that I did some 2 months ago!! I am completely at a loss as to what to do next. I can find no solution to this problem on any of the forums that I have searched and I have not found ONE response from Adobe about a solution except something about 4.1 fixing this bug which is completely untrue. I need a solution to this IMMEDIATELY. I have spent the last 6 days working on this book and now for no apparent reason it has disappeared!! Adobe PLEASE respond. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. tony@pottsfilms.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2012 Aug 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 4.1, when I save a book the layout is immediatly lost (the program opens a new book). While I can open the saved book from the collections, the photos appear on the filmstrip but cannot be opened as a book. This was supposed to have been fixed in 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,

I am amazed at Adobe's approach to this issue. They have remained silent and feel they don't owe their customers even an explanation. In any country where consumer protection is taken seriously Adobe would face a lot of scrutiny for this but this doesn't seem to be the case in our country at this time. Corporations are free to do as they please and consumers are left at their own mercy without a single government agency to protect them. The only alternative I have found is Small Claims court. I have filed and won a case against Adobe in the past. It wasn't so much for the amount as it didn't cover my losses. It was about democracy and ensuring that the company answers for its actions. Democracy is not an expectator sport - you can't expect democracy from the comfort of your sofa while watching your favorite show on TV. I highly recommend that all those experiencing this same problem file a claim against Adobe in Small Claims. First it is likely that you will get some compensation - maybe not everything you should but at least some. Most importantly, if the number of claims reaches a certain point it may trigger (1) a reaction on Adobe's part to solve the problem and (2) the courts may report the incidents to the FTC, which in turn may take action against Adobe. Something else that is important to emphasize is the fact that any legal action won in court counts as a negative point on Adobe's record affecting the company's reputation including its credit rating.

At this point it is just silly to expect Adobe to do the right thing. It had the chance to do the right thing by choosing to delay the release of a product that was obviously not ready to be released. It has also had plenty of time to respond and it has chosen to remain silent about the issue denying its user base the explanation and solution they all deserve. Just like Wall Street, Adobe is not longer run by inventive and creative people who wish to develop really good products. It is run, like most corporations in this country, by business men, lawyers and bureaucrats who see only numbers and treat their customers as an inconvenience they have to face on the way to achieving their financial goals.

Let's suit them and see how they react to an avalanche of lawsuits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2012 Aug 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hah. Oh man. That made me chuckle a bit.

SO no, I'll not spend my time suing Adobe over a glitch in a $150 program that on balance makes my life 1000% easier then it otherwise would be.

And no, I'll not be signing up for your revolution so we can all go live in huts in the wildness far from the reach of Adobe and Starbucks and the federal reserve and all other satan-spawned entities.

Nope... going to politely ask that the folks who have no particular obligation to monitor these forums on the LR team kingly let us know if they're continuing to look into the matter.

Then I'm going to get a high paying job, buy the building you live in, and rent it back to you at exorbitant rates... I might even shelter the income offshore just for kicks.

PS: Harry Reid called, he wants his angst back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i am using LR 4.0 and tried RC 4.1. In both versions the book creating module is not usable. After change from one module e.b Book creating to development, after return to the book module most pages contains the same pictures. So a lot of work is done without a usable result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creating a photo book with LR4 is apparently not fully developed. Pictures disappear - not an interim backup. Why Adobe offers so in an immature tool? I hope for a speedy recovery. I'm upset because I have to create photo books upgraded because of the possibility to have LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what seemed to work for me:

The issue seems to center around when you move from the Library module to the book module. If in the Library module you had selected a source folder ( i.e. a folder in the left panel, not the collection) and then moved to the Book module your book is either gone or only fragments remain.

For me, if I select the collection folder then moved to the Book module the book re-appeared and was intact.

This happened in 4.1 for both a Mac and PC. On the PC when I had selected a folder and then went to the Book module a small bar appeared in the upper left stating it was collecting information and either got hung up or crashed lightroom.

Hope this helps others. I spent several hours working on a book while traveling. The good news was it made the time go faster, the bad news is it siginificantly added to the frustration caused by airlaine delays.

Thanks!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2012 Aug 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this happened to me, can't believe a bug like this exists and adobe does nothing to warn its customers.

a possible solution is to get a paid drop box account, and save your catalog file there. dropbox keeps track of every version of the file (amazing). so if you lose the book, you can go to dropbox and find the last version of your catalog. Please note, dropbox only saves a new version of your file after you cose out of lightroom. it doesn't update the catalogue when the program is open.

Votes

Translate

Translate