Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Brief flash on second monitor

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to version 13 ...

The entire LR interface will disappear for a second or two from my secondary screen if it's displaying the thumbnail grid while marking images with filters set. For example, filters are set to only show unflagged images. I mark an image rejected, it disappears from view, the grid changes and this causes the interface to disappear. It does not happen every time ... but at least half the time. Occurs, regardless of the type of filter enabled and in both Loupe and Develop modules. The issue does not hinder my workflow, but it is very annoying. 

And possilby related ... the main LR window on my primary display automatically pushes the Mac OS window header out of view to where I can only see a few pixels of it running across the top of my screen. I am unable to access the close, minimize and expand buttons or move the window around. The perfect click-drag will pull it down, but it snaps right back. 

I am using a fully spec'd Mac Studio M1 Max (Ventura 13.4), Studio Display (main) and Thunderbolt Display (secondary).

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Setting status

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2023 Oct 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I said that it doesn't hinder my workflow, but it just did. I was clicking/selecting on my secondary display. It flickered/flashed and next thing I know the main window swaps to my secondary. The additional bug I mentioned then prevents me from moving it back until I click in the just the right place to drag the window down and back to main display. Which I then realize realized I am unable to size the window. I can't double click the header bar to make it snap up, nor can I click/drag a corner. It is permanently set to the screen size. I close LR, reopen and it fills the screen and back to only seeing a sliver of the header bar. I have attached a sliver of a screenshot showing what I mean by a sliver of the header bar. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the subject say, my 2nd display will flash off (disappear) at various intervals while working in Lightroom Classic, version 13.0.1 (latest)

I haven't experienced this before and only started with the latest LR update.  I find turning "Use Graphics Processor" to "OFF" will fix this issue but I'm concerned about losing the advantage of the graphics processor on my main display. 

2017 iMac 

4.2ghz i7 - 64GB DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8GB

macOS Ventura 13.6.1 (latest version that I can use)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged a bug with zooming on the secondary display.  But your symptoms are sufficiently different that I don't think your post should be merged with that thread. But you might click Follow at the bottom of the top post to stay abreast of updates about the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this too on a MBP M1 Max (with two 4K screens, but also with just an iPad as second screen), when switching between library and develop modules. The secondary display disappears for about two seconds.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Lightroom update 13.0.2 has not fixed (or changed in any way) my 2nd screen issue and I have to turn "Use Graphics Processor" off to eliminate the problem.  While I didn't mention this in the first message, turning the graphics processor off speeds up some procedures, for example switching from Library to Develop takes about half the time when the graphics processor is turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2023 Dec 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this for the last couple of months as well, and it hinders my workflow horribly. Mac Studio M1 Ultra, dual Apple Studio displays. Library grid on left side (secondary monitor), loupe on right (primary); if I interact with the grid (i.e. click an image, click the blank grey area where there are no images) it causes the second display to disappear the LR window, showing the desktop. When this happens, the 'second monitor' icon flickers on/off until the LR window re-appears. Screen recording (of right screen, icon, attached).

This needs to get fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, All

I also had the same problem in Lightroom Classic 13.2 in Mac Book Pro M1 (2021 model).

However I found the another solution without the GPU off.

I realized when I move my head in front of MBP display, the second display chattering was occured.

Therefore, I hide by covering the tape on the built-in camera and ambient light sensor at the left of the camera, the problem was solved.

I tried again to hide the camera and light sensor for each, finally, the cause of the problem was light-sensor.

MBP has automatically change the brightness of the backlight through the light sensor.

The function might be conflict the Lightroom.

The solution might be only MBP, however it's worth trying it if you have any mac that has built-in light sensor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Mac Studio with the Studio Display and my old Thunderbolt display. I have had all of my cameras/sensors covered since new. This has been a problem for over 7 months now. Can't believe it's been that long since I first started this thread. It occurs constantly while I am in the Develop Module with the Grid View on the secondary any time I make changes to an image's filter settings. For instance, I keep the "unflagged" filter setting turned on and when I set an image to reject the grid view disappears and reappears. During that time LR is unresponsive. Extremely frustrating when trying to cull down a set of images and I have to wait every time I flag an image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Can't believe it's been that long since I first started this thread.

I agree with you. I remember that the problem occured before LC 13 in my case.

Tempolarily, now I solved the problem but it might be occured again when I use other functions in LC.

I will keep checking the thread intervally. Thank you !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2024 May 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting status

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Surprise, surprise! For me, the update to Lightroom Classic 13.4 seems to have fixed the problems with the secondary display. I can now use it again without any flickering when I switch between develop and grid...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 26, 2024 Jul 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update to Lightroom Classic 13.4 (from 13.2) did not fix the problem with the disappearing second screen for me. Disabling GPU acceleration fixes it, but I just bought a top-of-the-line computer to run Lr faster—not to disable all those nice GPUs.

MacBook Pro M3 Max, macOS 14.5, dual Thunderbolt displays

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2024 Jul 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"dual Thunderbolt displays"

Do you have an issue with one of those cables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Do you have an issue with one of those cables?"

I'm not sure what you're asking… I have an Other World Computing "Thunderbolt 3 Dual DisplayPort Adapter", so that's one Thunderbolt 3 cable from the laptop to the adapter, then two DisplayPort cables from the adapter to the external monitors. (Both are BenQ GL2706PQ.) The cables are new. I have been using the monitors happily for many years with my 2015 MacBook Pro.

With the MacBook Pro M3, I tested the OWC adapter with two monitors and with only one monitor. I also tested an HDMI cable direct from the laptop to one of the monitors, with no other peripherals connected besides a Bluetooth mouse. I tested the main Lr window on the external monitors and the laptop monitor. In all cases, regardless of which monitor has the main Lr window and which has the secondary, I get a disappearing secondary window. This didn't happen on the 2015 laptop. (Hmm, and I had the GPU disabled with Lr on that machine, since using the GPU made performance worse in Develop.)

My bug doesn't happen at random or when flagging images, like with @jasander77. It happens when switching between Library and Develop modules, in both directions, like @JohanElzenga found. And of course I switch between those modules often.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue disappeared with Lightroom Classic 13.4, but as far as I know this was never officially confirmed as a bug, and so it is unlikely that Adobe consciously fixed it. So I am beginning to wonder if this could be some third party utility interference, where that utility was updated on my computer around the same time that Lightroom Classic was updated to 13.4, and perhaps other people still use an older version of that utility. The big question is what utility this could be.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't checked this post in a while. Updated to 13.4 a few weeks ago and still experiencing the issue w/o any change.

Referencing the post by @clyde.c.brown. It's not random by any means. It is an almost a constant occurrence when using the Develop Module with the Grid display is on my secondary. Every time I flag/filter out an image in this situation the image disappears from Loupe on main screen and leaves just the gray background. A few milliseconds later the secondary LR window disappears showing my desktop background. LR is unresponsive until the window reappears. The next Loupe image will later reappear and the secondary will come back shortly after. The longevity of unresponsiveness can be random. Sometimes it's just a second or two ... other times it's several seconds. Interestingly, if I decide to undo that filtering with CMD+Z ... the image will reappear w/o causing flicker.

While I am in the Library module ... it does not happen at all. It also occurs everytime I switch between Library and Develop ... either direction ... regardless of what I have set on the secondary.

My workaround is to generally stay out of the Develop module when I need to do heavy flagging/filtering. For some reason,  I'm not adhering to that workflow this morning and LR keeps barking at me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Aug 17, 2024 Aug 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In typical fashion ... I've had to uninstall the latest version (13.5) and go back to the previous version. This time due to further side effects of the program window cutting out. The program continues to be unresponsive during each occurrence, but now in 13.5 the entire desktop space becomes inactive after each occurrence. Whereas the MacOS menu bar is grayed out and I must physically perform a mouse-click on my main display to reactivate the space. Whatever is going on is clearly not playing nice with the Mission Control functionality and I am unable to tolerate this new annoyance and will remain in 13.4 until this is figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2024 Sep 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jasander77:

now in 13.5 the entire desktop space becomes inactive after each occurrence. Whereas the MacOS menu bar is grayed out and I must physically perform a mouse-click on my main display to reactivate the space.

I don't get the grayed-out menu bar, but this sounds like what I found with Secondary display takes keyboard focus, disabling some keyboard shortcuts. I agree on sticking with 13.4, though I don't see the connection to Mission Control. I never tried using Mission Control or Spaces with LrC. LrC has its own funky window management which, up to 13.4, works well enough on its own. There are reports of buggy interaction with Spaces elsewhere in the forum so I'm staying away from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2024 Sep 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new observation on the main bug here, the disappearing/reappearing secondary display. It is specific to 13.5. With the secondary display in grid view and the main display in loupe view, use the left & right arrow keys to switch between images. Sometimes the secondary display would disappear as I advance from one image to the next, slowing me down and making a mess of things because of Secondary display takes keyboard focus, disabling some keyboard shortcuts.

I narrowed down the problem to navigating from SDR to HDR-edited images, and back. In a selection of only SDR images, no problem. In a selection of only HDR images, no problem. I have a mix of images which were converted to HDR in either 13.4 or 13.5, as well as lots of SDR. The HDRs edited in 13.4 have an SDR preview in loupe view, which was a separate problem I wanted to fix.

In the process of testing with a fresh catalog and writing up another bug, the problem went away in my main catalog. Yay for careful troubleshooting, I guess. No repro, no bug.

If someone else runs into trouble with HDR images in Loupe, here are some things I did which might or might not help:

• In "Preferences > Performance", disable and then enable "Use Graphics Processor: Auto".
  • In "Preferences > Performance", disable and then enable "Enable HDR in Library".
  • Set up a Library Filter for "Develop > HDR Edit Mode". Use the filter to select all photos with "HDR Edit Mode: On". Select all, then Delete Cached Previews for Selected Photos.
  • Restart LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2024 Sep 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately this seems to be a complex problem, with many possible causes. I do not use HDR at all, and yet I have seen this problem for a long time. Much longer than just in Lightroom Classic 13.5 (I can't remember when it started, but I thin it was 13.0). I see it when I switch from Develop to any other module, or vice versa. I do agree it is GPU related.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate