• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CC jumps to front when opening files in the background.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I'm in Lightroom and I want to open 5 or 6 shots into PS CC, and while they're opening I want to jump over to Chrome and check my email. Is PS supposed to keep jumping to the front every time another file opens? It's pretty frustrating and I don't remember it happening in previous versions of PS.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the 19.0 update. We are currently on 19.0.1. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
98 Comments
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam - I have not updated to macOS Sierra yet - am on OS X El Capitan. I tried troubleshooting with Adobe, and their only answer was that I must have corrupted permissions and I should wipe my Mac and re-install my operating system. Which to say the least is not conducive to my work flow currently or ever, and doesn't make any sense because CC 2014 runs fine with no screen-grab issues. It's the updates that are corrupt. Like you, for me too the issue is not insignificant or merely inconvenient - it's literally paralyzing. All I could do to resolve and continue workflow was uninstall the updates and revert back to CC 2014.0.0. Which eventually won't be an option and ALREADY is ludicrous because I'm paying monthly for a 2014 outdated program? Adobe could care less. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No no. Come in. The water's fine. Adobe give you plenty of time to join in to these discussions by NEVER FIXING ANYTHING! </rant>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This frustrating issue has been there for ever. I usually have to open 30 to 50 files at a time from Lightroom to photoshop and Adobe renders my computer unusable during that time. Trust me it is infuriating.

It happens when both Lightroom and photoshop are updated and are working with the same raw converter.

My work around is that I do not update photoshop (updates are usually irrelevant anyway). When you try to open multiple files from Lightroom it will then ask you whether you want to render in Lightroom or photoshop, select Lightroom and it won't pop up each time a file is rendered in photoshop.

Clunky workaround but hey, it's Adobe, the house of clunky archaic software from the 80's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue hasn't been around forever for me. And updates are only irrelevant until the older versions are no longer available or supported. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue, however the problems have gone after the latest update ( 18.1.0.207 ) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting Lekin - I will give it a try when my workflow slows. Are you running on a mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nup. Unfortunately still happening for me, as forever, Mac, all the latest versions of everything...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you start Photoshop CC (Latest version, 2017.1.0 Release 20170309.r.207 x64) and it starts to load itself, I alt-tab to another program, like my browser or my browser in a full screen YouTube tab, Photoshop keeps stealing the focus several times while it is loading, putting Photoshop on the top of everything else.

Please make it so that Photoshop keeps loading itself in the background, if and when it's clicked to the background while it's loading itself. Programs stealing focus, without it being an option, are not something we should have in 2017 anymore, IMHO. Lightroom (Latest version, 2015.10 Release) has the same issue. Might be in others too, but I don't have them.

Thank you for your support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After opening Photoshop, I go searching for an image throughout Windows Explorer to open in Photoshop. It is very annoying that Photoshop has this constant need to bring itself to the front as the top window while I am looking for the correct file to open with Photoshop. Photoshop will bring itself to the front sometimes even 5 or 6 times in a row after I clicked the explorer window again that I was browsing for an image in. This interrupts me from finding the image I need. Also, If I am previewing an image in Windows Photo Viewer and I try to click the x to close the image in Windows Photo Viewer, and Photoshop brings itself to front just a split second before I click the x on Windows Photo Viewer, Photoshop is the one that closes instead because the x was clicked on Photoshop instead of Windows Photo Viewer because the damn Photoshop brought itself to front! Now I gotta wait another 30 seconds when I reopen Photoshop.

I don't understand why Photoshop needs this programmed into it. it is VERY annoying. And there doesn't seem to be a way to turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Completely agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to Adobe folks. The most reliable, tried and tested bugs in the business (aside from Avid, maybe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I've been working in Photoshop for years - full time for the last 15 years, and this is the first time ever that I've had any kind of serious issue. Which is kind of amazing. But boy when it happens, the silence [from Adobe] is deafening. Has anyone tried to see if the issue still happens if you run Photoshop on it's own desktop using Mac's multiple desktop feature? I'm running the last version of photoshop that worked correctly form me - CC 2014 - and am too heavy into workflow right now to stop and try another uninstall/reinstall - but it that seems like it's def worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried that in the recent past and it was even more annoying because it not only takes your front app out of focus but takes you to another desktop as well. Haven't the time to test this every time CC rolls out yet another update where the problems aren't addressed. Assuming, given that Adobe haven't addressed the problem, it won't have changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem may be caused by the way that you have set your preferences in the Post Processing section of Lr's File > Export module?

That section gives you the choice between "Do Nothing, View in (app. of your choice), or Show in Finder.

I have not experienced this issue on a Mac (OSX 10.11.6) running the latest versions of the Adobe CC programs.

I keep Ps running in the background (but "Hidden") if I am running Lr; and Ps never jumps in front of Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Open LR or PS from scratch. See how many times it steals focus. 4-6 on windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying Ann but this isn't an issue with exporting files but sending them to PS for editing. Regardless of whether PS is already open or not, when you send a file to it for editing it will jump to the front, forcing LR (of whatever else you're using) into the background.

Apparently Adobe missed the memo on multi-tasking in modern operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep this sucks, please fix Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 01, 2017 May 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Running latest Windows 10 developer build. I've tried everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 23, 2017 May 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost said I'm glad to know this isn't just something I'm doing wrong, but I realized that would be better...because at least then I could do something to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across this thread when searching for a fix... I can see MANY more arriving here over the next few months. 

This DRIVES ME INSANE. 

The only temporary way I have resolved the issue myself is to have your Adobe application run at start up... that way, by the time you've got a coffee everything is ready to go and you don't have to suffer the nagging screen when opening lol.

Thanks
Dan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's insane that they aren't throwing out a fix for this - it's paralyzingly and it's been over a year. What the hell?!?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jun 04, 2017 Jun 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Status has been changed to "In Progress". So now what? Months of Adobe's shareholders debating the merits of bug fixes or is that already been the holdup? Can hear it now: "But this won't bring us any new subscriptions. Anyone dealing with bugs is already locked in and paying, so who cares? Next item please...blah, blah blah."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"New Adobe Status 10.12.5. Fixes bugs where users complain too much by suggesting the source of the complaint might actually be addressed."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WAAAAAY more than a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's wrong to say anything about 3+ year old bug. Thank you Shane Betts.

Votes

Translate

Translate