• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: CC jumps to front when opening files in the background.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say I'm in Lightroom and I want to open 5 or 6 shots into PS CC, and while they're opening I want to jump over to Chrome and check my email. Is PS supposed to keep jumping to the front every time another file opens? It's pretty frustrating and I don't remember it happening in previous versions of PS.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

This should be resolved in the 19.0 update. We are currently on 19.0.1. Please update Photoshop using the Creative Cloud desktop app, and let us know how it goes.

Thank you,
Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate
98 Comments
LEGEND ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur, both LR and PS jump to the front at various points during their startup, where if it's just once then it is ok, but continually doing it after either has been put in the background is annoying. Not everyone is running everything on SSDs.

I mitigate these interruptions, somewhat, by having two monitors and do my "other" work on the monitor that PS is not opening on, but focus still gets taken away, it's just not covering over what I'm doing, so I can just re-click on my input box if I'm typing and get focus back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It continually jumps to the front when I try to switch to Illustrator or my web browser. I just have to keep trying until it stops or quit PS if it really just won't stop getting in the way. Very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem looks like it surfaced over a year ago...I am just having it show up in Image Processor since the last update. Has there been any action or resolution on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue also, through CC 2014 and into CC 2015. Very frustrating. The only way I can get to other windows is to minimize Photoshop into the dock.
The irritation is compunded by Photoshop not following system-wide settings and minimizing by double-clicking the window title bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get it to minimize -- I'm on MAC El Cap. This was not an issue prior to the recent update. Have you reported? Tech support was underwhelming to say the least. I'm on a 1 year old MAC - all clean and current and no issues whatsoever - and no issues with CC until this last update - and his solution was that my system was most likely the cause. Then, when I gave him access to my desktop to check he issue, I ended up terminating the session bc he was clicking on things, changing things without adequately explaining what he was doing...made some changes to my workspace and asked for access to create a new user account....very uncommunicative - creeped me out. Called back to clarify where to send the bug report, and explained the problem to the new tech I spoke with and he said that Adobe was having bugs with El Cap and that that was most likely the source of the issue. Do you remember if this problem for you started after an update, or was it an issue since installation?

http://www.adobe.com/products/wishfor...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: The latest update 2015.1.1 was the problem (for me). I reverted back to 2015.0.0 and the issue resolved. To have workflow paralyzed with no access to any other function on your computer while Photoshop runs thru Image Processor is not tolerable. Please fix this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2016 Jan 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Bridge on Mac El Cap. Since the most recent update, when I attempt to process images in Image Processor (IP), IP performs as directed, but will not run in the background and let me do other work while it is processing the images. This has never before been an issue. If I had 50 or 100 images processing, I could start IP and let it run in the background while I worked on something else. Now, the IP screen cannot be minimized; other programs cannot be accessed while it is running; if I attempt to open another program Photoshop IP jumps in front and continues processing the entire task in the foreground. This is a serious problem – since the last update, I am at a complete standstill and my work is completely paralyzed while IP runs. Please advise if there is a fix coming for this?
Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I start Photoshop and immediately go back to things I was doing on my PC, Photoshop in a moment will steal the screen and open over the apps I was using. I minimize Photoshop to tray manually but within few seconds it opens over all my apps again. I can't find settings to prevent Photoshop from this hostile behavior. Can anyone advise what can I do to make Photoshop stop doing this? Because it is too annoying!

(PC, Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Lightroom does the same annoying thing, about several times during its start up, on various versions of Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2016 May 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have this suddenly happening to me, running on Mac, with latest update. Two things - I've rolled back to previous version and that stops it from happening. But that's not a great fix. Thing two - before I rolled back, Adobe asked me to run photoshop under a different user account on my Mac. When I logged out of my user account and logged in as a guest user, the update version didn't do that and worked fine. Therefore Adobe conclude that the issue was an Apple issue, not an Adobe issue, and that I should contact Apple to troubleshoot - that the issue may be with Mac permissions. Doesn't explain why the earlier version still works without hijacking my system. Don't know if this is helpful to you or not -

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Photoshop's startup can take some time, I like to work on other
tasks meanwhile. Unfortunately Photoshop is shifting during the starting
process several times to the foreground, which every time interrupts
the work on other things and can be quite annoying. Is that really
necessary? It would be great, if the program simply loads in the
background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Photoshop CC 2017 things got even worse. Adobe couldn't care less about users comfort. Too sad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This needs to be fixed. How is this not an issue for Adobe? It is a nightmare to start up Photoshop.
It has been an issue for 3 years and no word from anyone at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2017 Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, does this happen on Windows as well or is it a Mac specific thing? Certainly drives me insane...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Windows too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool. Thanks Chris.  So Adobe can't point the finger at Apple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens on PC too. With every newer version Photoshop steals more and more time at starting. Now it bacame absolutely insane. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. No resolution. I wasn't noticing the issue during startup so much as when I was using image processor to process thru whole folders or groupings of images. PS would steal the screen and leave the rest of my workflow paralyzed until it completed the processing. The only resolution was to revert back to the older version of PS so now I'm stuck paying monthly for non-current versions of the program. Now that I know this is happening both on PC and Mac and that it started on introduction of updated versions and resolves when rolled back to 2014-15 versions, how Adobe can maintain that it's an internal permissions issue - I have no idea. But no, I'm not anticipating a response from them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought mine was just set up wrong or I missed a setting. I didn't really notice it until CC 2017, now its forcing itself on me. 3 or 4 times jumping in front of my other windows. Hate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've been unresponsive to say the least. I did find that reverting back to an older version fixed it. Left me with the problem of running (and paying for) an outdated version tho...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2017 Apr 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here, only on 2017 cc

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Mac El Capt and PS versions 2015.5 and 2017.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I late to the party?? Windows 10, current versions of Illustrator and Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same thing happen to me! I'm a web developer and it's REALLY annoying to have it do this, as my text editor auto-saves when I switch to another application, which can break some processes when it saves half-finished code. ADOBE! Any reply?!?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac, Sierra, current version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate