• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crashes and hangs constantly on New Mac Pro 2013. Will not import movies!

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a new MacPro and upgraded to Lightroom 5 and CC Photoshop. I am having a lot of problems importing from CF cards via a Hoodman USB 3.0 card reader. I have tried different card readers and different ports. I have some movies on the CF cards (SandDisk 32GB Extreme). In the past, with LR 4 and my old Mac, I had no problem importing movies or images.

Now, when I put a card in and pull up the Import dialogue, it takes forever for the previews to load and sometimes it just loads some of them and the rest are blank. I can import a few sometimes, or all sometimes, but LR ends up crashing or hanging if there are any movie files at all on my CF card. The same thing happens if I upload from my internal hard drive.

In addition, if I load a previous LR catalog, it hangs and crashes everytime I open it and click on a folder with .mov in it.

Through other forums, it was recommended that I try a card that has no .mov files on it and that seemed to work fine. Is there any solution to importing images on my cards that also have movie files on it? Is this a known bug?

Any help you have would be great as this has caused much frustration. I did not encounter this issue with movies on CF cards in Lightroom 4.

For the record, I have now tried Lightroom 4 and it still plays and imports movies just fine on my new Mac Pro. The problem is only with LR5.

I have tried LR5.2 and 5.4.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
21 Comments
LEGEND ,
May 01, 2014 May 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the crash report say?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2014 May 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saved a crash report. I am not sure how to interpret it. There isn't always a crash report because sometimes, LR just hangs for 4-5 minutes and then it returns to normal, but will hang again as soon as I try to Import.

Here is a link to a thread that describes all the things I have tried and come up with:
http://www.lightroomforums.net/showth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post the crash report so we can read it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not a crash report, but a hang or freeze report - and it shows that Lightroom was busy and partly waiting for the OS to load part of a movie file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I guess that is what is happening. It is hanging or freezing. For a long time. Any thoughts? I have to Force Quit usually to get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 03, 2014 May 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on that hang report, I'd have to guess that there is a disk problem or an OS problem - because Lightroom itself is just waiting on the OS to load the movie file. The Lightroom team might have more information if other people have seen this problem before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR5.4 on my MacPro with OS10.9.2 won't import video files - I have last tried Ricoh GR-D .avi files, but others fail as well.

Trying to narrow down the issue, I have found the following:
- LR4.4 on the same system has no issue with the same data.
- LR5.4 on my MacBook Pro has no issue with the same data.

My main question: How does LR5 treat video files different from LR4?
Further, my MacPro has lots of video software installed: Perian, VLC, DivX, aso. When and how does LR5 look for codecs? Is it possibly confused by codecs other than the standard MacOS ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2014 May 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to remove any non-standard video stuff from the affected system, without success. Could anyone from the Lightroom team comment on this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2014 May 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anybody have any ideas on where those of having these issues can get help?

Thanks! Mary Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frank and Mary Ann, if you have the Adobe Creative Cloud app installed on these systems, please make sure you have the latest version. There was an early build that blocked access to some folders our video code needed to write to, which could explain what you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2014 May 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Julie,

Thank you so much for responding and trying to help.

I went to my Applications and could not find an Adobe Creative Cloud App but l did have an Adobe Application Manager. I went to it and updated it, which in turn installed Adobe Creative Cloud App. I then updated everything from there. It appears I was not updated. Unfortunately, it has still not totally solved the issue, though some things are better.

Here is what I did:
I created a new Test Lightroom Catalog (located on my main internal drive) and tried to import a .mov file from a CF card. It will not import it. I then reopened the Test Catalog and went to an existing folder on my computer that had .mov files (at current location...only trying to add to Test Catalog) and it will not import the folder that has .mov files. It acts like it will import when I hit "Import" but the progress bar just stays the same and it doesn't move from the progress bar. I can X out and Lightroom doesn't crash any more (which is a major move forward, actually.

Another issue, is if I open an existing LR catalog that contains .mov files, Lightroom freezes when I click on the folder that contains .mov files.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2014 May 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE on issue:

Thanks to Victoria Bampton, I have now figured a little more out. She suggested I create a new user and see how that works. I did that and LR5 works perfectly and imports movies and plays them. So obviously the issue is in my User account. I am not sure to figure out where the issue is or where to go from here. I really don't want to give up that user account and start a new account. Seems like a nightmare to set everything up again.

Would love anyone's thoughts on how to figure out what is causing the problem in my main user account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mary Ann, I can confirm the finding that this does not occur on a new user account. It does not seem to be that widespread, so here are some statements true for my system - if one of them is also true for yours, maybe that gets us closer to the cause.
- The OS was updated from 10.6.8 straight to 10.9.2. I installed 10.9.2 on a new disk and added my user from a Time Machine backup.
- The system (and user) have had LR2, LR3, LR4 as well as Creative Suite CS4, CS5 and CS6 installed. Some of these apps I have since removed by trashing their folder.
- The first LR5 I installed was 5.2.

And one question for the Adobe folks: The fact that it works with a new user makes it quite likely that it is an access rights issue. I have run Disk Utility's Repair Permissions over my MacOS disk. One set of messages caught my attention:

ACL was found, but not expected on „Library/QuickTime/AppleMPEG2Codec.component/Contents“

This was reported for all contents of the QuickTime folder, a long list. Repair Permissions was unable to resolve it.

The access rights of the folder contens for my user look like this (ls -le in Terminal):

drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:09 AC3MovieImport.component
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 25 Aug 2013 AppleIntermediateCodec.component
drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 102 25 Aug 2013 AppleMPEG2Codec.component
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 CFHDCompressor.component
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 CFHDDecompressor.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonMJPEGAVI.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonText.component
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 DesktopVideoOut.component
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 FCP Uncompressed 422.component
drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 LiveType.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 Perian.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 18:23 XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component

For the new test user (where the issue does not occur) they look like this:

drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:09 AC3MovieImport.component
0: user:frank allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity
drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 25 Aug 2013 AppleIntermediateCodec.component
0: user:frank allow list,add_file,search,add_subdirectory,delete_child,readattr,writeattr,readextattr,writeextattr,readsecurity
drwxr-xr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 25 Aug 2013 AppleMPEG2Codec.component
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 CFHDCompressor.component
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 CFHDDecompressor.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonMJPEGAVI.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 5 root wheel 170 2 Mai 19:10 CanonText.component
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 DesktopVideoOut.component
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 FCP Uncompressed 422.component
drwxr-xr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 LiveType.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 19:10 Perian.component
drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 2 Mai 18:23 XviD_Codec 1.0 alpha.component

Now, before you say: 'aah, system issue', please try and explain why it does not occur on Lightroom 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2014 May 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be nice if someone from Adobe would chime in.

I have spent numerous hours on the phone with Adobe Support and the rep is not able to troubleshoot and solve the issue. Every time, they promise a call from Advanced Support within 24 hours but it hasn't happened yet. Friday, I did have an email saying someone tried to call at 3:30 but I had no message.

The last rep did go through several folders on my computer changing Read Only to Read & Write but it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone's thoughts to help Frank and me would be welcome!!!

Thank you, Mary Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: After spending a couple of hours on the phone with two very helpful Apple support guys, I think I have figured it out.

Ultimately, the rep had me move the Adobe Folder from Application Support and the Adobe Folder from the Preferences file. Both of these were moved to the desktop. I found these files by going to the Go menu in the Finder and holding down the command button to reveal the Library. Make sure all Adobe applications are closed when you do this.

I then restarted the computer and opened LR5 and so far, LR5 is working great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are troubleshooting steps - not something that you should leave in place or advise other people to do.

You do realize that you just removed a lot of required support files and libraries, right? You need to put the Application Support files back where they came from - otherwise you will have to reinstall your Adobe applications.

You also reset some of the Lightroom preferences (those from the Preferences folder). That alone may have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I appreciate you chiming in to help. I was certainly not trying to create any issues for anyone. There are several other people with the same issues looking for answers and I was only trying to update what I have found.

I have been desperately trying to get help from Adobe and have not had any help. I have posted on every Forum I found and nobody seemed to have any advice that worked. I haven't had a response from anyone from Adobe on this thread in two weeks. I have called Adobe technical support several times and everytime the rep (usually located in India with poor English) goes through several things he is obviously reading from, then promises to have an Advanced Support rep call me within 24 hours. I have still not heard from nor been able to reach anyone in Advanced Support. I realize I am venting about Adobe, but as an Adobe Stockholder and owner of many Adobe products, I am highly disappointed.

I would appreciate if you tell me what files I need to return for Application Support. I have opened several Adobe applications and all seems to work fine. My preferences all seem to be there, also.

Do you disagree with discarding the entire Adobe preference folder? That was actually what seemed to do the trick.

I appreciate your input as I certainly don't want to create any issues for anyone else.

Thanks
Mary Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL of the files from Application Support need to be returned to exactly where they came from.

No, your preferences are in your Preferences folder.
But the "Adobe" folder in Preferences contains preferences for multiple applications and components. And most of your Lightroom preferences are in another location (com.adobe.Lightroom#.plist).

It seems that the "helpful" Apple support person was just having you delete random things until the problem went away, without thinking about the consequences of removing those things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what other Adobe software you have installed, but removing the contents of the Adobe/Lightroom application support folder is perfectly valid. The contents are user presets, which do cause trouble from time to time. Lightroom also writes some cache files to the Common subfolder, which could have been a factor in this case.

Mary Ann, you could try returning the contents of the folder, excluding those 2 subfolders, and see whether it still works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1633928
Try this, I have the similar question, and finally solved by this method.

Votes

Translate

Translate