• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Develop settings applied to TIFF disappear after editing original

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2016 Jun 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to LR CC2015.6 and PS CC2015.5 I have noticed that develop settings applied in LR to TIFFS disappear after editing the TIFFS in Photoshop (e.g. I lose my crops applied in Lightroom). It's a major part of my workflow and very annoying.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Edit Original" means - edit the TIFF file without applying Lightroom adjustments, so in Photoshop you will see the TIFF image exactly as it was in Photoshop when Photoshop edited it previously. (So your LR crops would not carry back to Photoshop)

If you have done further Lightroom development to a TIFF image, and you want those edits back in Photoshop, you need to select "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments"

See a great flow-diagram at - http://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/whats-the-difference-between-render-using-lightroom-and-...

It is often advised to do all possible editing in Lightroom before sending an image out to a pixel editor (Photoshop)
Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Robert, thanks for the info. I've been using my workflow for years and it works great. There is a bug in the LR update (or a change) that is disrupting it, and I need Adobe to address it ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2018 Aug 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later and bug is still there. Steps to reproduce:
1. Open 48 bit TIFF in Lightroom and apply various adjustment
2. From Lightroom app choose 'Edit original in photoshop"
3. Do simple adjustment and save in pohotoshop (no resize / resample)
4. Go back to LR

Result:
Applied effects from step 1 are not visible.  They exists in history pane. But after reapplying them through history, crop and spot removal are shifted on x/y axis. Need readjustment.

Other possible explanations. Photoshop modifies some metadata when saving TIFF. TIFF file was create by Silverfast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not alone: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2635624
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also happens with a LR 'Edit in PS' 16 bit/channel TIFF so not unique to a SIlverFast created TIFF. I've marked this as 'Acknowledged.'

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens with Lightroom exported JPG and TIFF files also so it is not limited to scanned files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I make adjustments in the Lightroom Develop module on top of TIF files that I have created in Photoshop.  I may go back and do further editing in Photoshop.

As of 8.3.1 (perhaps earlier), when I edit in Photoshop ("Edit Original" in the edit pop up in Lightroom), after I save the file, all develop changes in Lightroom are lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing some more research on this issue I discovered one of my post from 2016 with a solution! If you uncheck 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' in Catalog Settings the LR settings will be retained when using 'Edit in PS' > 'Edit Original.'  At least that's the case on my Windows 10 system with LR 8.3.1. I must have changed that setting recently for some reason and forgot the consequences.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8487967#8487967

However, It's still a bug because you should be able to use this setting with 'Edit in PS' without losing the LR settings. See these two posts for more details:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8488318#8488318

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lr-cc2015-4-v6-1-lightroom-edits-not-being-re...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed. I wondered why I couldn't replicate the problem, but that's because I never check that option.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With prior versions of Lightroom, going back many years, I was able to open a PSD file using "Edit Original" and upon returning to Lightroom after editing and saving the file, the Lightroom edits (i.e. crop) were retained.  This functionality has been lost in the current version.  It is very important to me to be able to edit the original, uncropped PSD file while maintaining the crop after returning to Lightroom. Now, all LR adjustments are reset upon return from Photoshop.  By the way, if the PSD file that was opened from LR "Edit Original" into Photoshop is not saved from Photoshop, the Lightroom edits are maintained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of  unchecking 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' which you may want to keep checked you can click the TOP edit in the History panel when you return from Photoshop and the Lightroom edits will be restored.  Your edits are not LOST.   I agree this is a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consolidating information from the multiple threads and doing more testing shows there are three workarounds, strongly suggesting this inconsistent behavior is a bug, not intended by the original product design:

1. When PS returns to LR, click on the edit showing at the top of the History panel. (The existing edits are shown in History.)

2. Check the option Catalog Settings > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

3. Uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Include Develop Settings In Metadata.

I tested all four combinations of those Catalog Settings:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. What may be happening is the following: if you check the option to write develop settings to these files, then some flag is set. When the image returns from Photoshop, Lightroom tries to read the develop settings from the file. However, if you did not actually save metadata to the file (either automatically or manually), then what Lightroom reads is all zeroed. This would explain your fourth line: when you do automatically save metadata to files, the develop settings are indeed saved to the file, and so Lightroom successfully reads them on return of that file.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should not have to read any develop settings from the file when you use "Edit Original" for JPG, TIFF etc as Lightroom is pointing to the same file on the disk  (with the photoshop edits) and the catalog still has the Lr edits in History.  Lr just needs to restore these edits like the user does when they select the TOP edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, you left our a 5th combination using 'Include Develop Settings In Metadata' with 'Save Metadata to File' (CTRL+S). On my system that causes LR to also lose the Develop settings after the 'Edit in PS' > 'Edit Original' PS Save operation. That should update the file's XMP CRS metadata same as Automatically Write Changes Into XMP, but it apparently it doesn't!
I just filed a formal Bug Report for this issue so hopefully it will get attention. I'll add the Bug LID # here once approved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I shudder to think about the logic of the internal code paths here 😆

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using manual 'Save Metadata to File' the 'Edit in PS' operation strips the XMP CRS metadata from the original file before the PS Save operation. It's creating a new file with no XMP CRS data by over-writing the original file. Automatically Write Changes Into XMP doesn't have this issue so must use a different code path. That's probably the root cause and as you say an "internal code path" nightmare!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One side issue I noticed with "edit original' is sometimes the filmstrip/grid thumbnail is not permanently updated.  I can see the photoshop edit when I save in photoshop and return to Lr but if I close Lightroom and restart the thumbnail is the same as the original file before the photoshop edit.  If I go to loupe and zoom 1:1 the thumb will be updated and survive through a restart.  It must be cached somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday evening and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. 

Thank you for your patience.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, the issue appears to be resolved in LrC 9.4 on my Windows 10 system. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. This was a really annoyance for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Bonjour Rikk, 

je me permets de demander de l'aide. je ne parle pas anglais. J'utilise Google Traduction. Je suis un vieux photographe français à la retraite.

Dans LR 6 je fais: éditer une copie dans Photoshop. Mais ce matin, LR crée soudainement une copie pour moi avant d'ouvrir le logiciel Photoshop. Ainsi, lorsque je travaille ma copie dans Photoshop, je ne peux plus la sauvegarder. Un message s'affiche indiquant qu'il existe déjà.

Dès que je modifie, j'ai une copie immédiate en LR et une copie immédiate dans le dossier d'origine.
Je fais toutes les possibilités de modification avec. Je recharge complètement LR avec ma licence.
Je peux  faire enregistrer sous le bureau avec Photoshop, pas de problème. Ça marche.
Alors, peut-être que vous avez une idée. J'ai lu tous les tutoriels sur le web.

Merci beaucoup.
Sincèrement, Patrick

Votes

Translate

Translate