• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Exporting DNG (from Merge) as a new DNG w/ Compatibility set to 14.0 creates a damaged file

LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exporting a photo-merged DNG as a DNG with compatibility Camera Raw 14.0 And Later creates a DNG that can't be opened in either Photoshop Camera Raw or in LR Develop.

Tested with LR 13.2 and Camera Raw 16.2 on Mac OS 14.2.1.

1. Open this small catalog:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzg9nvdz727wgam/merge-export-dng-bug.2024.03.25.zip?dl=0 

2. Select both photos and do Photo > Photo Merge > HDR with these settings:

johnrellis_0-1711411783087.png

3. Select the merged DNG and Export with these settings:

johnrellis_1-1711411877680.png

4. Open the exported DNG in Photoshop and observe the error "The file appears to be damaged":

johnrellis_0-1711413428327.png

5. Import the exported DNG into LR, go to Develop, and observe the error, "The image appears to be damaged":

johnrellis_1-1711413567578.png

6. Repeat step 3 with Compatibility: Camera Raw 15.3 And Later, and observe the exported DNG opens without error in both Photoshop and LR Develop.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Adding bug number and updating status.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
30 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2024 Mar 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have tried setting Compatibility: Camera RAW 15.3 or later Lightroom develop still fails however PS works without error - the same if I export choosing "Original""

I'm not able to reproduce that using test test catalog and images I published above, merging and exporting the 15 raws you published above, or exporting the four merged DNGs you published.  In call cases, using Compatibility: Camera Raw 15.3 Or Later produces exported DNGs that can be successfully re-imported in my LR 13.2.

Perhaps you could upload one of the merged DNGs that fails to export correctly in your LR 13.2, and I can see if that happens in my LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk

Are you refering to Lightroom Classic (LrC) or Lightroom (Lr) when using "LR" terminology? Its the cloud version of Lightroom (Lr) (version 7.2) that has this problem when importing the exported DNG file - see belowScreenshot 2024-03-26 at 17.58.45.png

Exporting a photo-merged DNG as a DNG with compatibility Camera Raw 14.0 And Later creates a DNG that can't be opened in either Photoshop Camera Raw or in LR Develop.

Tested with LR 13.2 and Camera Raw 16.2 on Mac OS 14.2.1.

1. Open this small catalog:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzg9nvdz727wgam/merge-export-dng-bug.2024.03.25.zip?dl=0 

2. Select both photos and do Photo > Photo Merge > HDR with these settings:

johnrellis_0-1711411783087.png

3. Select the merged DNG and Export with these settings:

johnrellis_1-1711411877680.png

4. Open the exported DNG in Photoshop and observe the error "The file appears to be damaged":

johnrellis_0-1711413428327.png

5. Import the exported DNG into LR, go to Develop, and observe the error, "The image appears to be damaged":

johnrellis_1-1711413567578.png

6. Repeat step 3 with Compatibility: Camera Raw 15.3 And Later, and observe the exported DNG opens without error in both Photoshop and LR Develop.

By @johnrellis

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the Lightroom Classic forum, you are having problems reading files in Lightroom CC/Desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are you refering to Lightroom Classic (LrC) or Lightroom (Lr) when using "LR" terminology?"

As mentioned by @Lumigraphics, this is the Lightroom Classic forum, and unless otherwise specified "Lightroom" and "LR" refer to LR Classic.

"I have tried setting Compatibility: Camera RAW 15.3 or later Lightroom develop still fails however PS works without error - the same if I export choosing "Original" ... It's the cloud version of Lightroom (Lr) (version 7.2) that has this problem when importing the exported DNG file"

Thanks for the clarification.  

Using the LR Classic catalog and test images I posted above, I tested the ability of LR Desktop 7.2 to import a merged photo created by LR Classic 13.2, and I only see an error when exporting as DNG with Compatibility: Camera Raw 14.0 And Later:

Merged photo: no error

Merged photo exported as Original DNG: no error

Merged photo exported as DNG 15.3 And Later: no error

Merged photo exported as DNG 14.0 And Later: error

This is expected, since LR Classic 13.2, LR Desktop 7.2, and Camera Raw 16.2 all have the same version of the Camera Raw engine inside, and thus we'd expect them all to behave similarly. But if you have a sample merged photo that doesn't, please share it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The export of DNG file was using LrC which is causing the issue of importing the same file back into Lr - so the issue belongs here as it appears LrC export process is the issue 

Votes

Translate

Translate