• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (GPU) Develop/Edit view & Export artifacts after 14.4.1 Update (AMD-only) (affects Cr, LrC & LrD)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since just now, I've been experiencing a weird bug / crash in Lightroom Classic (on a Mac), where ALL my photos suddenly are fully covered in artefacts in the Develop module.

lightroom develop module.jpg

(Screengrab from the Develop module in Lightroom Classic)

When I check the linked RAW + JPEG source files in Finder, they all seem ok (they don't look corrupted, nor show any artefacts here), meaning the issue is within Lightroom.

raw source file.jpg

(Screengrab from the RAW source file in Finder)

When I export images out of Lightroom (with any setting, edited or even not edited), the artefacts are also present on the export files.

export.jpg

(Screengrab from the exported JPG image)

This problem started occuring soon after I applied the new AI noise reduction feature on just ONE (1) photo. 

I already tried:

• Closing and re-opening Lightroom
  • Shutting down (fully), and restarting the computer after 1 minute
  • Switching the GPU accelrator setting in Lightroom on/off

MY SPECS

• Lightroom Classic 13.0.1 - Build (202310121438-d2af310c)
  • Macbook Pro 16" - 2019
  • 2,3Ghz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB 
  • 32GB 2667MHz DDR4 memory
  • OS Sonoma 14.4.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this makes the whole software unusable....

Thank you!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

We're investigating an issue with the macOS 14.4.1 update that affects systems running AMD series GPUs. 

The issue manifests as garbling of/artifacts in images in Develop/Edit views and similar artifacts in Exported images.  The problem can afflict Camera Raw (16.2.1), Lightroom Classic (13.2) and Lightroom Desktop (7.2).  Restarting the application should restore your Develop/Edit view and return you to the expected Export results. 

The team is working with the OS manufacturer to identify t

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 186 Replies 186
186 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2024 Jul 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello ,guys

Since ai was added as an option my lightroom started acting out with photos 

if i turn off the gpu in preferences it stops the glitch but it's impossibly slow like this

My computer is pretty good ,just 3 years old .Am i supposed to buy an imac on m3 chip now? or what do i do?IMG_3961.JPEGIMG_3962.JPEG

i'll attach an example

[Moved from ‘Bugs’ to ‘Discussions’ by moderator, according to forum rules.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There seem to be issues with AMD GPUs, although so far I thought that was only in conjunction with MacOS 13 or 12. PS, this is how to make a proper screenshot on a Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mh26782/mac

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@little5CEA: "if i turn off the gpu in preferences it stops the glitch but it's impossibly slow like this

My computer is pretty good ,just 3 years old .Am i supposed to buy an imac on m3 chip now? or what do i do?"

Mac OS 14.4.1 released a buggy graphics driver for AMD 5000-series GPUs and hasn't provided an update. The two known workarounds are to restart your computer (perhaps frequently) or to set Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor to Off.  As you can see in the pinned reply at the top, Adobe said on 4/29/2024 they're working with Apple on the issue. Adobe rarely says even that much about bugs until after fixes are released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what happens to me when I use the LR Enhance NR.  I get these artifacts about 75% of the time and have to delete the saved file and then the file from my LR catalogue and start over.   I am running a AMD Radeon Pro 5500 graphic card and I know that is the problem.  I understand we have to wait for updated drivers from AMD but this has been going on  since April 2024 and its now a couple weeks shy of August.  When this many folks are affected by a bug, which affects Apple machines which come standard with these Radeon Pro cards, probably in the many thousands (at least), one would think they would have tested these updates out prior to release.  Its frustrating that this has gone on unresolved for so many months.  At some point it is not AMD's fault but Adobe's for not properly testing their updates out on what seems to be a pretty common system configuration prior to releasing it.  Sorry.  Just venting frustrations.  I know I 'm certainly not alone in this and I'm sure they are working at finding a solution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro with a 4GB AMD Radeon and haven't seen this since the 14.5 update. I just processed and enhanced 28 Canon RAW files and didn't have any issues. So this IS real (I've seen it) but its also intermittent and not affecting everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tomw58006331, to help track this issue, which version of Mac OS are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running a 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB video card and running Sonoma 14.5.   Thanks for asking!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>At some point it is not AMD's fault but Adobe's for not properly testing their updates out on what seems to be a pretty common system configuration prior to releasing it.

See RIkk's pinned reply. The problem was caused by the Mac OS 14.4.1 update. Not by any Lightroom update. Adobe cannot fix this as far as I can tell. There really has to be a Mac OS update for this to get fixed unfortunately and unfortunately Apple is not the most responsive in fixing problems in my experience but hopefully Adobe has a way to make sure the APple engineers pay attention to this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics- "I'm using a 2019 MacBook Pro with a 4GB AMD Radeon and haven't seen this since the 14.5 update. I just processed and enhanced 28 Canon RAW files and didn't have any issues. So this IS real (I've seen it) but its also intermittent and not affecting everyone."

Yes, we get that, but it's a very nasty bug that affects the Adobe flagship AI features and disabling the GFX acceleration essentially cripples the system performance so for the people it does affect, it really hampers their workflow.  Hopefully Apple does an OS update w/updated driver soon.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minus the RAM, I have the exact laptop as you and I am also having the eact same issues. I am VERY glad this is a widespread issue, albeit sad there's an issue at all, because I was envisioning having to buy a new laptop or move to my gaming system for edits. 

I noticed fully turning off (minus display tickbox) the GPU option let me edit without corruptions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2024 Jul 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to add - if anyone is in a critical situation and need a workaround, please try this as it has worked for me:

My Specs Before I proceed: 

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

macOS: 14.5 (23F79) (Sonoma)

Workaround

I turned off GPU accelaration (leavng display ticked seemed fine) and made sure to have smart previews made for the files in question. You do this in library module, very easy to do. And make sure you have it ticked in the options that it uses the smart previews for the edit which should give you a good jump in performance. 

This is working for me and I am able to continue working on my jobs. Good luck to you all until the fix drops. 

Votes

Translate

Translate