Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Histogram behavior in out of range areas

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 13.0, macOS Ventura 13.6

Lightroom 13 introduced new histogram style purportedly to accomodate HDR but the new style makes it difficult to actually use histogram to determine areas in gistogram free of data and settong white/black levels correctly.

This all being discussed to death in this post https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-reinstate-version-12-histogram/idi-p/141574... which was moved to ideas preseumably because it asks to reinstate v12 histogram. It is also being discussed here https://www.alex-kunz.com/new-features-in-lightroom-classic-13/

I now rephrase the request for bugfix - fix the new histogram in v13 to make it show gaps in highlights and blacks clearly (similarly to the way v12 one did where it can be done with ease).

The demonstration of the differences between old style and new style where 1-1.5 stop free part of histogram in highlights can clearly be seen in v12:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 11.43.24.jpg

and not so clearly in v13

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 11.15.51.jpg

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Updating status with the existing bug number. 

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The December 2023 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
21 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has been an update to LrC 13.0.1 which provides some bug fixes one relates to the histogram. See the screen capture for more info.

IMG_0987.jpeg

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status with the existing bug number. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> There has been an update to LrC 13.0.1 which provides some bug fixes one relates to the histogram. See the screen capture for more info.

Cannot test it as I am on macOS and 13.0.1 does not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alexey Danilchenko , see the screen capture for a procedure that has been working for several mac users.

IMG_0991.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DdeGannesthanks, so I updated Lightroom Classic to 13.0.1 andf absolutely zero changes to histogram in Develop module. Nothing was fixed in terms of usability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography this bug I believe is the same bug I filed internally as: LRD-4212718

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella  That is the bug to which this is cross-referenced. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new histogram in 13.0 makes precision work more difficult.

In the attached image, the image does not have any content to the right of the arrow, yet the histogram implies there might be content in that range. This makes precision work far more difficult when working on the outter edges.

This behavior also makes HDR editing and the histogram rather frustrating.

histogram.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where there are 0 pixels of any particular color the line is shown on the Histogram.  This results in a white/gray line extendiing along the bottom of the histogram from where there is actual data all the way to the left and right edges of the chart which, in turn, makes it difficult to determine exactly where the white and black point are.   Instead change the Y axis to represent 1 at its lower end rather than 0. 

This problem occurs in LR, LrC, and ACR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2023 Oct 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is the clearest statement of the problem I have seen so far. If there are no pixels close to pure white or pure black then a coloured line running along the bottom of the histogram makes it hard to see what is happening. At least give us a choice of old or new style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The December 2023 updates contain an update for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This looks fixed. The histogram is much quicker and easier to use now. Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 2.49.05 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks in non HDR mode it is fixed. However in HDR mode there is still a white line that goes under the whole histogram and again obscures the real end/beginnibg of it. I wonder whether anyone at Adobe QA team actually tests this from usability prospective?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The HDR mode whould not be that hard to fix - just don'tunderline the histogram with any lines (I see zero point in that) of if it is trulu servibg some purpouse, it should be different colour from any histogram ones that makes histogram itself stand out. That is not that difficuklt to achieve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is HDR modeScreenshot 2023-12-22 at 09.30.03.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alexey Danilchenko 

The HDR UI is obscuring the histogram below significantly, the stops liens are too opaque, BUT one can tell when the histogram ends in HDR.

Screenshot 2023-12-22 at 19.12.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 23, 2023 Dec 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella 

> BUT one can tell when the histogram ends in HDR

Not really when your luminance (white on histogram) is the one that sticks out. Also not in the the size of my histogram window on 14" MacBook screen - you need histogram to be pretty large to see those tiny differences with that HDR mode underlying white bar. Mainly because that underlying bar in HDR mode is the same colour (that bar is totally pointless IMO). This is something I don't understand - does any of the LR developers actually use their product at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@C.Cella 

Just tested it on some image and it is even worse. This is roughly the size I see it on my screen and those underlying bars in histogram make my eye bleed trying to see the edge of it. Usability - 0 again. Thankfully SDR mode is fixed without any of those bars underneath. I hohestly don't know what purpouse they server apart from osbcuring the histogram view o if they so imporant somhow then those bars can be displayed above/on top of historam to prevent messing wih it.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 16.24.58.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alexey Danilchenko I suggest to uncheck the "Show HDR Region Labels" option to gain bit of space in the histogram.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 19.14.29.png

The bottom white bars liger on unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The white HRD segments could have been placed outside of the Histogram to allow total readability and the vertical lines could have been less opaque.

UI Good.png

Few minimal changes for a better UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 24, 2023 Dec 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@C.Cella 

> Few minimal changes for a better UI.