• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Loss of internet connection and license

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I first purchased CC I asked on a forum the question, "will it still run if my internet is down", and I was informed yes.

I have moved to a small volcanic (desert) island where the internet isn't always good.  So far I have been luck in that it has been off when I have not needed to be at my computer.  This morning was the first time, but I thought it would allow me to catch up with photo processing and art work. Until I got the message that Adobe can't check my subscription!!!   So for most of the morning I might as well have gone back to bed!

Now we are hoping to move further inland, where connection problems are more than likely to increase.  I wasn't bothered until this morning, as I thought I would still be able to use Photoshop and Lightroom. :'(

So, have finally got internet back on I opened up Photoshop and Lightroom ok.  When it went down again they did stay open so I see that I must just have a connection in order to open them.

So I have to ask, is there ANY way that I can open Lightroom and Photoshop when my internet connection goes down? 

Bug Acknowledged

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Dec 21, 2018 Dec 21, 2018
Hi Lukáš and David,

Thanks much for your thoughtful replies.  I believe we are actually in complete agreement about almost everything :).  Here's some follow-up information and answers to some of the issues you raise:

1. We agree that the current design is too brittle.  In fact, we have already made changes in our design to avoid this problem (one, as Lukáš suggested, is to be more permissive of time jiggles) and product updates that incorporate those changes will likely become available starting ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018
Hi Jill,

Sorry you're having trouble.

Two things which can lead to being unlicensed:

1) If you have the CC Photography plan, you will need an internet connection at least every 90 days to update the licensing token. Details here: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/internet-connection-creative-cloud-apps.html

2) If the clock on your computer is changed, this can also revoke the license. Two things can cause this:

a) Your computer's clock CMOS battery/capacitor is bad and your laptop battery ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
56 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I will tell you at the outset, this post will NOT get vulgar or rude. That said, you have one VERY PO'd customer on your hands. Here's the deal:

I was away from home and without internet access yesterday (I let 24 hours pass before writing this so the fact I'm still this upset is a sign of how serious I think this issue is). I have been signed into Adobe CC and have used Adobe CC (Photoshop, Lightroom and Bridge) every day for the past 3 months. I am a long time subscriber to the Photography Plan (from its inception) and the Single App Plan. Yesterday I did emergency duty as a wedding photographer at a wedding I was attending. I promised to do some base processing of select images (these were all shot in RAW) and get them copies that evening for a couple of reasons that are not important to this discussion. No problem, I had my LT with me that has the second copy of Photoshop and Lightroom installed (as per the EULA) and has in the past also been used to process images in both LR & PS. When I opened Bridge to import the photographs the login screen told me I was not connected to the internet, which was correct - the internet service was down. I thought that was no problem since in the Adobe CC FAQ's that addresses this possibility, Adobe stated that you merely had to be connected at least once in 90 days (and even then there may be a bit of leeway) for the subscription to be verified. I had been connected in the previous 24 hours so I figured everything would work. It didn't. The login screen told me that my subscription could not be verified and Bridge shut down. I attempted to open the program a total of 4 more times before I gave up. I tried to open Photoshop and Lightroom with the same results. This could have cost me a job and my client a lot of money. Thank GOD I also had Capture One installed and I was able to get the job done!! 

This is completely and totally unacceptable! I am a paid up member in good standing, and I am being denied the service despite having met the criteria for the subscription. I know the EULA says that Adobe is not responsible for lost work, etc. due to any failures of their program, but you may find that someone is going to test that condition in a court of law at some point if this keeps up. You may also want to consult with your legal department what the term the courts use when you accept money for a goods or service but fail to provide that goods or service despite the customer meeting all the requirements of the EULA. 

This will NOT happen again with me. As a photographer I DO have options. I WILL be cancelling my Single App subscription largely as a result of this episode because I no longer trust Adobe to meet their end of the bargain. 

If I were the only one ever to have seen this issue, my tone might be more moderate, but I'm not. Since CC2019 this seems to be an increasingly common problem. I have seen numerous others on this forum and elsewhere of late, complaining about similar issues. I also might be more moderate (or not have subscribed to Adobe CC at all) if this potential issue had not been addressed in the FAQ's when Adobe went subscription based, to my satisfaction. It would appear as though the answer given there is not factual, OR your new login procedure is seriously flawed/broken. For those of us who make a living from our photography, the make/break lines can be rather thin and it looks totally unprofessional when a photographer can't even open the processing program he or she has paid for. I do understand piracy is a major issue for software companies and I sympathize deeply with that (I have even reported a pirate in the past), but I am sick of paying the price these pirates when I'm adhering to all the rules of the EULA. This is just the latest and most egregious example of the customer being penalized for the law breakers.

In conclusion, I have one suggestion that I think Adobe had better seriously consider (along with the unbelievably large number of broken components we are finding in Photoshop CC 2019):

FIX IT!!!

If you have suggestions as to why this is happening, I will listen and I will be respectful in my replies, but I will not accept excuses. I am the customer here and I expect to be treated as such.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe only renews the 90-days-without-internet token when it expires every 90 days then there's nothing a customer can do to ensure licensing remains intact for 90 days without internet.  This is something Adobe could fix by resetting the 90-day expiration every time the software starts up, or even more often when the software is in use.

If Adobe renews the 90-day token every time you sign-in then you can at least sign-out and sign-in before going on a trip where the internet might be iffy.

If Adobe renews the 90-day token every time you start up the software when you have internet connectivity then your being unable to use the software the day after using it, then losing connectivity must be due to something else.

That something else might be the system clock being set backwards, perhaps by a momentary public Wi-Fi connection to a router that has a bad clock, somewhere during the travels, where disabling the software until the license can be checked online after the clock is set backwards, is a way to prevent unauthorized extension of the trial period or license expiration by setting the system-time back to within the trial or license period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the real issue is that Adobe is so damned greedy they can't stand the idea that someone, even an established paying customer, has use of their bug-infested products for one bloody day beyond the subscription.

Funny thing is, Adobe goes ahead and charges the credit card on file prior to the end of the subscription whether the customer is connected to the internet or not.  So your argument does not hold water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I guess I had no choice about the topic being merged?! I deliberately did NOT merge this topic because I need Adobe to realize that this isn't a one off of this, and to further bring to attention this issue. But hey, I'm just one customer, right? Some comments in response to the replies here:

1. This subscription I have is paid *ANNUALLY*. Why should I even have to log on every 90 days to keep my subscription active? My subscription runs out next August, not 90 days from last August.

2. My laptop was updated to Adobe CC 2019 in the middle half of October. That is LESS than 90 days prior to today. I did not actively sign out of Adobe in the mean time, so why I was signed out at all is a mystery. 

3. As one person suggested, I could always boot up the LT and sign in before leaving home then I'd be covered. Well, this was a rush, last minute trip and I never even thought about it. In fact, where I was going DID have internet coverage but it was down in the area for technical reasons. Why is the onus on this being put on me, the customer, when in all other respects I've fully paid for the ANNUAL subscription with Adobe? I have a friend who sells a particular brand of software (not photo software) that is also paid annually, and once it's paid, you do not have to log on again until the software comes due for renewal.

As I said, I am one very PO'd customer, and I'm not seeing anything here that makes me think I should be otherwise. My comments stand.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Glen Davy all the luck in the world with getting his subscription cancelled.  Hint:  you will probably have to hire a lawyer.

My story:  I was working for a company a few years ago that bought some CC products for a project.  They paid for it with the corporate credit card.

When the project was finished, they tried to cancel the subscription.  And tried.  And tried.  It took a nasty letter from corporate counsel to finally get Adobe to quit debiting the corporate credit card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn, that is the way this platform works. Having all of the affected customers on a single thread allows us to keep track of the # of customers who have the same problem, provide work arounds, detailed information and acknowledgement that we’re working on specific issues such as this. We can also provide any updates as they become available more easily if all the affected customers are on a single thread. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Single App subscription is up in March and I simply will mark the Cancel Plan and go through the chat room as well to have them assist me. If they charge the CC anyway, I will take the documentation to my CC company and let them deal with it. I have heard of others though that have had a similar story though, and I know one person who told them that it wouldn't be a lawyer they would contact, it would be the CC company and the CC company would contact law enforcement. Anyway, I hope we won't have to go through that hoop. It's only the Single App subscription that I'm looking to cancel, not the Photography Plan. I do still plan on using Photoshop, but this is an issue they had better get fixed and pronto.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey. Ok, I understand. Thanks for that. I think you know me from other problems I'm not out for blood here, but this release of CC is really causing a lot of problems for people and some of them very serious ones for those of us working in the field. I'm not sure why this release has broken so many things, but we really need to get this fixed, especially issues like the one I just had where I was prevented from using the program at all. That can cost your customers their jobs. Anyway, I think you know and understand that, so I'll leave it at that now. I've stated my case and will wait (perhaps nervously) for a fix for this to come through ASAP.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Glenn, I understand your frustration. If you need help with changing /cancelling your plan, I can assist.

As you can see from Dan’s reply, the licensing team is constantly working on improving the experience.

The workaround is in the official answers on this page. (Turn off network clock and use manual setting)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EVERYONE WHO IS FOLLOWING OR HAS READ MY POST ABOVE ABOUT SIGNING IN ERRORS AND FRUSTRATION - PLEASE READ (ESPECIALLY JEFFREY TRANBERRY)

If there is one thing I'm an expert at, that's making a complete ass of myself. Above I went on a tirade about not being able to sign in to Adobe CC 2019 and thus not being able to open Bridge/PS/LR when on the road this past weekend. If you haven't read it, I basically tore a strip off Adobe over this because I have logged in on the LT I was using within the past 90 days and yet (so I claimed), Adobe wouldn't let me load the program. Well, what I had forgotten was that I had changed my Adobe ID, and had not logged into the LT (at least with CC) since that time. THAT is why Adobe wouldn't let me use any of the programs, because to them I really did look like a potential pirate.

I owe Adobe, you folks, and especially Jeffrey a sincere, heartfelt apology at my idiocy. This was all my doing and my problem, and NOT Adobe's. This whole thing didn't dawn on me until tonight when I went to log into Adobe CC 2019 on the LT and my Keychain fields came up listing my old ID. The problem, as I say, is entirely mine, and mine alone.

Adobe, folks who supported (and/or disagreed with) me, and again, especially Jeffrey, who has been of immense help and encouragement that things will get better despite my unfounded tirade, I apologize. In future I will think (if that's possible anymore) before I type, and I will keep my remarks to that of the actual problem rather than expressing frustration (except maybe at myself) or passing judgment. This episode tonight will not be repeated, at least by me.

Again, I am sorry. Jeffrey, let's let things lie wrt the single app renewal until closer to the time, but thank you for your offer. Honestly, that part isn't something I'm all that concerned about at this point.

Thank you for reading and please, either use my complaint above as an example of what not to do, or just ignore it completely.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glenn, no problem. Despite everyone’s best intentions, mistakes happen. Just glad it’s sorted for you. What you described sounded an awful lot like the time jitter issue on this thread. I can see how you and I both were confounded by your experience. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bottom line- for customers, this part of your software has negative value. It makes your programs worse, not better.

There has to be a way to have digital licensing controls and not injure your paying customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey. You are indeed a class act. Appreciate the sentiments.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Yesterday I posted to the bridge prerelease forum about this problem (which happened to me yesterday with Bridge 2019 CC)
Bridge wouldn't launch (until I signed into CC) I hadn't deliberately logged out!
I can't believe I was logged out for 30 or 90 days
My network time (Apple Dublin Ireland) is correct, and this occurred on my desktop machine in my studio.

What I am scared about is that I also work on location with my laptop and what happens if I go on location and this happens.

Up to recently this wasn't EVER an issue so something that Adobe changed HAS caused this problem.

I have no problem with a verification (handshake) taking place EVERY time any CC programme is launched - and then if internet connection is interrupted  having 30 or 90 days to make a new connection.... but it really doesn't seem to be working like this at the moment!

So Adobe, please fix the (many) functional problems which need to be fixed in Bridge, Photoshop, and ACR, and stop messing about with things which aren't broken.

Like I always say at this point "I and others her use CC all day every day, so please listen to real world users"

Respectfully,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Peter, thanks for posting. Let's get to the bottom of your issue. It sounds different than both cases mentioned on this thread. Best way would be to get the logs from your desktop computer. Could you use the log collector tool here and follow the instructions to upload them? https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-log-collector.html I'll have the licensing team investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeffrey... BUT what do I now?
I have tried 3 times!
Peter

RackMultipart20190109385661lr3-912252a5-a179-4691-824f-8f9089c54813-411567913.png do 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, Please remove older copy of Log collector build and download it again.
If it still does not work, do let me know.

Regards,
Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,
I have removed all previous .dmg versions of the tool, and searched the HD for any version of the Log Collector Tool (none) emptied the trash, and downloaded again.... same problem once it starts to install I get the message in previous post.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, 

Have send you an email with connect details, Lets sync to get it resolved.

Regards,
Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashutosh,
That version has worked and generated a .zxp log file

The following file has been uploaded on Adobe LogCollector Portal:

File: AdobeLogs_20190110_091208_DD261D9E-0264-4A13-A541-BC6AF8952CA3-mac.zip

Please use the above filename as a reference when contacting Adobe Customer Care.

Hope this helps... thanks for helping with this!

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings

Updates to Lightroom Classic CC (8.2), Lightroom CC for desktop (2.2), Lightroom CC.Mobile (Android and iOS) were released on Monday, February 11, 2019. Please verify that your issue is fixed by the current update.

Thank you for your patience.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for taking the time to resolve this. I won't be in a position to fully confirm the fix as my previous issue was a bit of a one-of as it turned out (I did write a reply to my original post on this explaining that the issue was partly my own fault, but I don't see it here). I'll be sure to reply on this down the road if it is a problem again, but I have every confidence that the issue is fixed. Many thanks again for the help.

Glenn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two months ago I commented "What I am scared about is that I also work on location with my laptop and what happens if I go on location and this happens"

... so it has happened, last week I was working on location - using Capture One tethered and (automatically) opening images after processing in PS 2019 CC and I got the message " please log into CC using your Adobe ID" I had no internet connection.... images wouldn't open in Photoshop!!!

Now the problem is that I ONLY use this MacBook Pro when working on location so I've no idea how long it has been since last logged in to Adobe.

Can we please have a countdown or an indication that I need to "top up" my subscription before this happens again.

Obviously my "top tip" for the future is to run Photoshop and log into my Adobe ID the day before going on location.

P

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar symptoms struck me this week. I unplugged my laptop for the first time in many days and got on an airplane expecting to do 6 hours of work with LR. Starting LR, I got the message "We can't verify your subscription status." Rebooting didn't help.

I got to my destination (3 time zones away) and connected to a home Wifi, and LR started properly again. But then I ran the following test several times over several days, observing the same bad behavior: Exit LR. Disconnect from Wifi. Start LR. Get the "Can't verify" error. Exit LR. Connect to Wifi. Start LR. LR starts normally.

Finally, I logged out and re-logged in to the CC desktop app, and now I'm able to run LR disconnected from Wifi, at least for now.

RackMultipart20190726570951eu1-f35a3f49-6f9f-47d0-ace9-3e8a01cfeefa-315584722.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have reports of Bridge being unusable when Internet access is not available for a short time.

I can't believe we are going back to the bad old days of copy-protection problems. This is NOT a good thing and is terribly user-hostile.

We need to be able to use our paid software without an Internet connection. Full stop.

Votes

Translate

Translate