• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Mac) People masks selections are not as expected (Entire Screen or Square Area)

Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2023 Apr 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was originally posted under "Bugs" but I really want this to be answered as a question. I will be happy to delete whichever post doesn't fit under the best category however! Thank you.

When using Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 with MacOS Ventura 13.3 (on a Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 iMac with the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB and 72 GB of memory)...

I am getting the entire image selected when I try to use the "Select People" then choosing "Entire Person." Lightroom Classic allows me to individually select the hair, teeth, eyes, etc. as usual but when trying to select the entire body, the whole screen gets turned pink to indicate that the Lightroom thinks that the whole picture is the person.

I've attached two (redacted for privacy) screenshots of the "Subject" masking that still works as it should and the "Entire Person" mask that shows where the entire photo area has been selected incorrectly by the AI.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Ventura 13.5.2 updated graphics and audio drivers! Masking is working again for me! How about you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , May 18, 2023 May 18, 2023

Setting status -matching to existing investigation ticket. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 202 Replies 202
202 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Lightroom Classic 12.2.1 with MacOS Ventura 13.3 (on a Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 iMac with the AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB and 72 GB of memory)...

I am getting the entire image selected when I try to use the "Select People" then choosing "Entire Person." Lightroom Classic allows me to individually select the hair, teeth, eyes, etc. as usual but when trying to select the entire body, the whole screen gets turned pink to indicate that the Lightroom thinks that the whole picture is the person.

I've attached two (redacted for privacy) screenshots of the "Subject" masking that still works as it should and the "Entire Person" mask that shows where the entire photo area has been selected incorrectly by the AI.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this out, your GPU may not be fully supported anymore: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

It appears that everything is working as it should with the graphics card; I've attached Lightroom Classic's settings page regarding my card setup. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do the menu command Help > System Info and copy/paste the results here so we can see precisely which versions of software and drivers LR thinks you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Here's the info (I redacted my user folder name but is otherwise complete):

Lightroom Classic version: 12.2.1 [ 202303011008-5bfbce17 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en-US

Operating system: Mac OS 13

Version: 13.3.0 [22E252]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 20

Processor speed: 3.6GHz

SqLite Version: 3.36.0

Built-in memory: 73,728.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 73,728.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 6,049.1 MB (8.2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 55,530.4 MB

Memory cache size: 107.1MB

Internal Camera Raw version: 15.2 [ 1381 ]

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

Camera Raw virtual memory: 1282MB / 36863MB (3%)

Camera Raw real memory: 1309MB / 73728MB (1%)

Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels

Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info: 

Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT

Init State: GPU for Export supported by default

User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic

Library Path: /Users/******/Pictures/Lightroom/LIGHTROOM Master Catalog-v12.lrcat

Settings Folder: /Users/*****/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins: 

1) Any Crop

2) jf Bag-o-Goodies

3) jf Extended Search

4) Loupedeck2

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'll just be waiting until the next Apple system update—keeping my fingers crossed and I'll update this thread if that ends up fixing my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do Settings > Preferences > Performance and post a screenshot that includes the Camera Raw section, e.g.

johnrellis_0-1680720509716.png

That provides additional information that Mac LR System Info omits (a bug).  And that will enable us to determine if your graphics card meets the minimum requirements for People masking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People masking was working as advertised until a few days ago.  It was able to detect multiple people and would allow for the masking of seperate facial features.   Now it will sometimes detect a person correctly only if there is a single person in the image.  If there are multiple people in the image, the detection fails completely or tries to combine multiple people into a single selection.  The detection of facial features will sometimes work correctly if there is a single person in the image.  If multiple people are combined into a single selection, the list of facial features might appear, with the resulting mask of a feature applying to all of the people in the selection.

The problem occurs with both native Canon RAW images as well as Jpeg and TIFF files.

This behavior is consistent across Lightroom Classic, Adobe Bridge, and Photoshop.  I've already installed the latest updates to MacOS and the listed adobe applications.

I'm experiencing this problem on a 2020 iMac with 64 GB of RAM and the 8GB AMD Radeon Pro 5700 GPU.

System info from Lightroom Settings System Info:

Lightroom Classic version: 12.2.1 [ 202303011008-5bfbce17 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-US
Operating system: Mac OS 13
Version: 13.3.0 [22E252]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 16
Processor speed: 3.8GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 12,940.6 MB (19.7%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 60,091.5 MB
Memory cache size: 2,805.9MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.2 [ 1381 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 1351MB / 32767MB (4%)
Camera Raw real memory: 1419MB / 65536MB (2%)
Standard Preview Size: 5120 pixels
Displays: 1) 5120x2880

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: AMD Radeon Pro 5700
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: GPU for Export enabled

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/wjd/Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v12.lrcat
Settings Folder: /Users/wjd/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) DxO PhotoLab 5
3) DxO PhotoLab 5 Importer
4) HDR Efex Pro 2
5) jb ListView
6) Luminar 4
7) Luminar AI
8) Luminar Neo
9) ON1 Effects 2023
10) ON1 HDR 2023
11) ON1 NoNoise AI 2023
12) ON1 Photo RAW 2023
13) ON1 Portrait AI 2023
14) ON1 Resize AI 2023
15) ON1 Sky Swap AI 2023
16) Plugin Parameters
17) Show Focus Points
18) Topaz Photo AI

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we are, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your graphics card definitely meets LR's system requirements.  (Cards with 2 GB or less of video memory can have issues with People masking and don't meet the minimum requirements.)

You could confirm whether the problem is with the graphic driver by running LR in Windows safe mode.  That should disable the GPU, forcing LR to use the CPU for its masking.  (Adobe stubbornly refuses to provide an option in Preferences that would do that.)  

If it's a problem with the driver, then a new release of LR won't address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, 

Thank you for your thoughtful response but I'm running an iMac, not a PC.

So the Windows Safe Mode won't work for me. I still remain hopeful for a future solution however. 😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, here's the article for booting Macs into safe mode:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac#:~:text=Turn%20o....

It would be good to know if the bug still occurs in safe mode. There are fewer GPU-related bugs reported here with Mac than with Windows, perhaps because there is very limited variety of graphics hardware and Apple and Adobe combined can do a better job of testing. But if this is a driver bug, perhaps it would help light a fire under Adobe to provide a "Use GPU for AI Masking" option to let people more easily work around such bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked like a charm, albeit with of course the side effect of the programs not running that fast.

I rebooted into Safe Mode (with a dialog box verifying that stating, "GPU Detected: Unkown GPU (UNKNOWN). 

Opened both Photoshop and selecting of the entire person worked, and then I tried it in Lightroom Classic, which worked as well. The computer ran super slow, including closing and opening Finder windows. Not sure if that's normal as I had never booted into Safe Mode before—so just sharing that for full disclosure.

Thank you for the additional steps to help me along the way, John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 2020 iMac with the 8 GB AMD Radeon Pro and have experienced the same issue that you've reported.  I can also confirm that Select People does work properly after rebooting into Safe mode.  I documented my experience via the following:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/inconsistent-results-with-people-maskin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, both of you have 2020 iMacs with Mac OS 13.3, one with an AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT (16 GB) and the other with an AMD Radeon Pro 5700 (8 GB).  And the People masking problems go away when running in safe mode, strongly indicating it's a graphics driver issue.

Running in safe mode doesn't seem like a viable option, since the Mac and LR in particular is very slow.

Do you think this issue arose only after updating Mac OS to 13.3?

It's too bad that Adobe stubbornly refuses to provide an option to disable the use of the GPU for AI masking, which would let you easily work around the problem:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-ideas/p-ai-masking-should-obey-preferences-gt-perfo...

Some other possibilities:

1. Roll back to LR 12.1.  Adobe is constantly changing LR's use of the GPU, so an older version of LR might not provoke the driver bug.  This is fairly easy to try.

2. LR 12.3 might avoid the problem (again by its new code not triggering the driver bug).  We might expect to see 2.3 in the next week or two, if Adobe is on its regular release schedule.

3. Wait for Mac OS 13.4, which might include a fixed driver (pure speculation -- Apple is opaque about updates to graphics drivers).

4. Roll back to Mac OS 13.2 or 13.1 if you think the update 13.3 preceded the issues with People masking. Apple makes that painful:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+roll+back+mac+os&oq=how+to+roll+back+mac+os&aqs=chrome..69i57...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, please consider filing a bug report on this thread: Two people experiencing flaky People masking, both with 2020 Macs, Mac OS 13.3, with AMD Radeon 5700 cards (8 and 16GB).  Booting into safe mode to disable the GPU eliminates the issue, indicating a driver problem. 

There's no point in them filing a bug report with Apple -- that would be spitting into the wind. But Adobe could more effectively leverage its developer relationship with Apple to get an actionable bug report filed with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

App Version: Lightroom Classic 12.2.1

The Lightroom Preference Performance setting for Use Graphics Processore is set to Auto.

Platform and OS:  2020 iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.3

Hardware: Intel Core i7 with 64 GB Ram

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 GPU with 8 GB Memory

Steps to recreate problem:  

1. Open an image in Lightroom (Canon CR3, CR2, Jpeg, and Tiff file types tested) with two or more people in the image.

2. Create a new mask and expand the People option to select all people in the image.

3. The expected result is that all of the People in the image will be displayed as options for masking.  The actual result is one of the following:

a:  People selection will fail with the "No people found" message displayed

b:  A single selection will be displayed that if clicked on will either:

• Result in the entire image being selected (most common) or;
  • Result in all of the people being selected with no option to select individual features or;
  • Result in all of the people being selected with an option to select individual features that are then applied inconsistently to the people in the selection.

4.  People selection does work if there is only a single person in the image although it sometimes will result in the entire image being selected instead of just the person.

5.  People selection also works properly when the iMac is booted into Safe Mode.

Expected Result:  People Mask selection worked as advertised with prior versions of Lightroom Classic and MacOS Ventura (was working properly on MacOS Ventura 13.2).  Multiple people in the image would be listed individually in the People dropdown with the subsequent ability to specify facial features for each selected person.

This issue is also documented in the following post:  https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quot-select-people-quot-now-selecting-e...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same configuration on my computer and the same problem. Hopefully Adobe can fix it. I feel relieved knowing it's not just a problem on my end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as an FYI, the latest update for me to MacOS Ventura 13.3.1 has also not solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be because 13.3.1 is a security update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before consulting the team, it would be helpful to know if the afflicted systems also misbehave with Camera Raw as well as Lightroom Classic. Can one of you with the afflicted configuration test a file that fails in Lightroom Classic and see if it fails similarly in Camera Raw?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2023 Apr 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same problem occurs for me in Lightroom Classic as well as Photoshop 24.3.0 and Camera Raw. I also tried the Photoshop Beta 24.4 and it is happening there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2023 Apr 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, same issue here...

2020 iMac, 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7 with 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

I'm also somewhat relieved that this isn't something I created and hoping the fix isn't deprioritized since this iMac is Intel-based albeit not very old.

Votes

Translate

Translate