• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mask Panel does not appear in Full Screen Mode on Apple Silicon MacBook 14"

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to Lightroom 11.01 tonight, on a brand new MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro with 32GB of memory and 10 cores.

There are several bugs.

- BUG - The popup, for the completion of the import process (Smart Previews Created), does not pop-up onto the top of the main screen. It's like it's behnd the screen and not visible. I had to reduce the window size from Full-Screen to the smaller size before the pop-up became visible. Before I did this everywhere I clicked on the screen and the computer beeped, unhelpfully.

- BUG - Mask Panel does not pop out to show that you have created a mask and allow you to add a mask for the first time.

- BUG - When I hit the Mask Icon on the develop menu (the round shaped patch like thing all the way to the right.) to create a second mask after having already created a mask, the Mask Menu with it's various chocies about what kind of mask to create also does not show up. So you cant create one except by using a short-cut key.

After screwing around with this for a while, I found that these issues appeared to go away when I changed my window from Full-Screen mode back to the multi-window mode on my computer. I am also working with an external BenQ Photographers monitor and the same issue with being full screen or the smaller window showed up with LR displayed there.

System Details

MacOS 12.01

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,3

Chip: Apple M1 Pro

Total Number of Cores: 10 (8 performance and 2 efficiency)

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 7429.41.5

OS Loader Version: 7429.41.5

Serious waste of my evening....

JP

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

This bug was fixed in 12.2. If you are still experiencing the issue, please start a new thread. 

Thanks!

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
93 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only get reply and report on iPhone and iMac

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or rather "follow" and "report"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reproduce failure, have your engineers use lightroom, not in full screen mode, on MacOS Big Sur, one monitor, MacPro 2013 or MacBook Pro 2018 for at least 4-6hrs straight and it will present itself. It does not seem to be triggered by a reproducible event sequence. Retouch and color grade about 60 images, 10-15 masks each and I priomise you it will happen. If you close and reopen lightroom throughout the day you will probably never see it. If you leave it open and work, you most likely will. When it happens again ill gladly send you the OS versions, open apps, workspace arrangement, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  Yes it goes away if I exit lightroom but that's not what I want to do in the middle of an edit.  The attached screen shot is AFTER clicking the mask circle.  The screen changes but options like sky/subject and kinds of masks are nowhere to be seen.  This happens all the time and means I am unable to finish an edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do understand that some people may prefer masking in a separate panel, but it can instead be presented at the top of the main right-side panels and I recommend trying this. Just drag it bodily (once it is next visible, e.g. after restarting Lightroom Classic) so it docks itself in tidily just below the Histogram. 

On a lower-resolution screen you may now need to scroll the right side interface more often. But since a reliably-behaved floating Masking panel seems to have eluded Adobe to date, the pragmatic way is IMO to sidestep that for the meanwhile. Why persist in something inconvenient! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The masking panel (with circles for mask, bandaid for spot removal etc) appears below histogram already but most often disappears after I make one adjustment, the sliders are the but choice of linear/radial/brush is nowhere to be seen. Unless of course I exit Lightroom. I have never experienced adobe being so user unfriendly!

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

--
<>
Dr. Kacie Crisp
about.me/dr.kacie
<>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I can create a mask and the masking panel which normally appears at top right refuses to appear so I can't interact with mask eg add or subtract. If I go to Safari and back to Lightroom the masking panel is there but it is quite a nuicance having to switch to another program to get it to appear. I have often selected the mask can see it in red and no masking panel. I have also found that if I exit full screen it appears. If I click on the masking button I only get the choice of mask types first time I open a new image. If I try and add an additiona mask it only opens the adjustment panel   Bizarre behaviour like this sounds like a bug in the software. Macbook Pro OS 11.6.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One observation to add.

If the mask panel is somewhere within the loupe view, as opposed to docked under the histogram, then it will disappear and reappear while edits are created. Apparently by design so that it does not hide anything behind it. Dock that puppy under the histogram to prevent that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Masking Layers Pallet Disappears, seemingly randomly.
Reproduction steps:

I'm not sure if this was always the scenario for me, but this is the only way I can repeat the bug consistently with a solution. Previously, my solution was like many others, shut down LRC and relaunch to regain the masking layers flyout box.

1. Maximize LRC to full screen. This should move LRC into a new 'SPACES' desktop, fully maximised.
  2. Access the Masking tools
  3. If the fly-out panel appears, change the layout orientation icon ' >> '  from square to long pallet strip, and once more until it disappears. 
  4. To resurrect the pallet, switch back to the Primary desktop space (where other floating apps exist CONTROL LEFT ARROW). There, the flyout layers pallet may be seen. Alternatively, the pallet may be hidden behind other apps if you use the ALT-TAB combination in another app that obfuscates the pallet. I use this function frequently.

Clicking on the pallet jumps the viewer back to the maximize LRC app with the pallet visible.

If you can, when posting the instructions, please give additional information about your

• Mac Specs: Macmini 2018 64GB RAM

OS Version:

• Bug Repeated From Catalina 10.12? - Monterey 12.61 LRC Version 12, 11, possibly 10???

Your workspace arrangement (is LrC Full Screen? 

• Mostly floating, but occasionally maximized.

1. Are other apps full-screen?
  • Typically, no. I prefer to size my windows manually, but sometimes I accidentally double-click on a title bar and it auto maximizes --I just leave it to keep my flow going.

1. Are you using multiple monitors?
  • No

1. Which monitor is Lightroom active on?

Single 31-32" monitor, mostly floating windows, rarely maximized window in a new desktop workspace (aka Spaces in apple parlance).

Please note: On the attached video clip, my system jumped the 'Screens' very quickly, but if you watch past the 25-second mark, I repeated the bug where you can see the primary space and pallet better. So, watch the whole video to understand the bug better.

History: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/mask-layers-box-disappeared/td-p/125540...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possible issue

If you have the mask control box residing in the loupe area, then as you adjust sliders, etc, it will disappear, when you release the slider edit, it should reappear. This by design as to not hide what is in the loupe view.

That annoys some, fix is to dock the mask panel under the histogram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah! That functionality makes sense, and admittedly I'm not used to thinking of LRC as having floating pallets as I do with Photoshop. So when I have the pallet 'floating' in the loupe area, it doesn't unhide after using the sliders. Nice workaround --dock the pallet. I always find that the Spaces function is hoaky with floating pallets. Perhaps the solution for lightroom is to have the pallet 'tethered' to the adjustments panel instead of a floating pallet. Acting as a menu flyout menu will at least solve the confusion for new users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GoldingD, should we mark your answer as the "Correct Answer' or should the powers that be read this thread and decide for themselves if its a bug or needed improvement in light of things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the answer given by @GoldingD solved your issue or helped you better understand why the panel disappears, then mark it as correct.

As for the behaviour, it's a PITA, but it's as designed. I tend to dock the mask panel within the main edit stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, the masking pallette (box, whatever it's called) went missing. I clicked the right-side triangle once, then another time, and the pallette re-appeared.  See if that works for you!?

ted939_0-1667533462220.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2022 Nov 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. It doesn't work for me. I have found a workaround. It only happens when the screen is maximised. If i keep from pressing the green button to maximise and drag the sides out to the equivalent of full screen it baehave normally.

I did contact adobe, they could see the problem and addressed a number of possible fixes and they were stumped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem and your solution @ted939 worked for me! Thank you. I was getting very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been happening to me often with all LrC releases starting with 11.4.  I am currently using 12.0.1.  The only way to get the mask layers box to come back is by exiting from LrC and restarting it.  I am using an M1 Mac with 12.6.1, but it also happened with 12.4, 12.5, etc.

I also have a Win10 PC and I am fairly sure that it has happened on it too, but I don't use it much anymore with LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is so annoying.  I do not use a mask for every photo, of course, but today I have been working on photos where I do want to use masks.  I have to restart LrC after working on every photo. 😞  Working on a photo, making a mask, closing the mask, and then going back into the mask panel also results in no mask layer box so I have to restart LrC for that reason also.  Very, very, very annoying.  If I later go back to an earlier edited photo that has a mask and then open the mask panel the mask layers box also usually does not appear so I have to restart LrC.  This really, really sucks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my new posts below.  I do not have LrC maximized full screen (clicking green window icon).   I usually Opt-click the green icon which does not maximize full screen the window, it instead zooms which does not make it full screen.  I have had this problem for a long time.  Currently using LrC 12.0.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how many of the already posted suggestions you have read - but you don't have to accept continually restarting LrC in order to bring back the mask panel. There does seem to be an issue with full screen mode but also, you can "dock" the Masks panel in below the histogram.

It then opens and closes as part of the stack of side panels. This has worked 100% for me; and I haven't yet seen anyone else here, Mac or Win, reporting it unreliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I will give that a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I spoke to Adobe, I gave them permission to log onto my system. They tried numerous things and couldn't fix it. They acknowledged it appears to be abug in the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate