• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Memory Leak

LEGEND ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just left LR idle for a few hours and came back to find my 32GB machine 100% memory with 100% disk due to paging with Lightroom being the culprit.

If I open up System Info from the Preferences->Performance->Camera RAW section, I can watch the "Real memory used by Lightroom" increasing continuously while LR is idle.

Background:

Just upgraded to standalone 6.8. Was previously using LR4 with no problems, but needed new camera RAW support.

I built this machine myself and it has been rock solid and a great performer for 2 years. I use it for software development running linux in a virtual machine to do heavy multi-core compilation and to run compute intensive multi-threaded/multi-core applications for IC design. Never a problem.

CPU: Quad core i5-3570

MB: Asus p8z77-v pro

Disk: 8TB configured as a 3T RAID5 array, 4T standalone and 256G SSD

Memory: 16GB just upgraded to 32GB.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017
Adobe released Lightroom 6.9/CC2015.9 today.

This issue should be corrected in this release. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any further issues. 

Complete information about this update can be found at the Lightroom Journal: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/03/lightroom-cc-2015-9-now-available.html

If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, you can use the kbsc [Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ]  to refresh your app. If you are a perpetual license holder, you can acc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea what Lightroom might have been doing at the time? I have a sync related suspected massive leak, just on initial sync.

Roughly how long ago did you upgrade (i.e. few hours vs few days?)

Roughly how many pics in the catalog? And where are the images stored? On the 8TB drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just verified I have 170k pictures in my catalog but there is a creep up in usage at idle

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Lightroom is idle. I haven't done any extensive instrumentation, but have looked at the running threads under process explorer and (to me at least) they just look like standard maintenance threads that are running.

I upgraded 9 days ago so I could start working with RAW with my new 7d. I was running with 16GB and memory was tight, so I upgraded to 32GB. Imagine my surprise to find the thing swapping! 

This catalog has roughly 65k pix with both the catalog and images stored on a 3T RAID array. 

When I first open light room, I can watch the memory usage start to creep up from initially around 500MB to 2GB in the first 5-10 minutes. It just keeps going.

The only thing I have noticed is my firewall reporting Lightroom continually trying to open SSL (port 443) connections to various Amazon's cloud servers using incrementally increasing outgoing ports.

I will try to do so more digging as I get some spare time. Right now, import another 600 photos from a shoot I did this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Sync with Lightroom mobile" enabled? It looks like it because you mentioned Amazon cloud servers. You mentioned that you are running a perpetual license copy of Lightroom. The Lightroom mobile sync should not be even enabled. Can you tell which Amazon url that Lightroom tries to connect to?

Can you also try to reset your Lightroom preferences (holding down Shift+Alt when Lr is launching) to see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sync with mobile is off.  here are some ips: 52.202.115.220, 52.207.10.7, 52.0.43.175... all port 443.  I tried resetting prefs, but still exhibits the same behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I left latest lightroom idle on my pc ... came back and it had taken 27GB of ram!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your firewall blocking port 443? What happens if you turn off the network connection of the machine altogether?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

443 is being used for https support from a virtual machine on my pc.   I disabled the ethernet port but - on restarting LR - it is slowly nibbling away at memory again. I'll leave it running overnight and see what it does!

When ethernet reconnected, I see it talks to
ec2-35-160-189-193.us-west-2.compute.amazonaws.com:https

Memory usage has gone up 0.5 GB over the last 25 seconds of CPU time for Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most interestingly, the small upwards jumps in Lightroom's Private Bytes usage occur exactly every 120 seconds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the perpetual license version of Lr 6.8 as well? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its the CC version, after running overnight its only up to 6.4GB  private bytes and 3.9 GB working set, will leave this system untouched through today and see what it's like tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest CC version of Lightroom, Windows 10, 16GB Ram, it's been running for 23Hrs, I started it and then minimised it, so I have never requested anything from it.
However, it is now using a working set of 4.4GB and over 15GB of Private bytes, and it is steadily taking more and more every 2 minutes. Wonder when/where it'll stop !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you are running the CC version of Lightroom, are you doing any kind of Lightroom mobile syncing when Lightroom is idle? If so, can you pause the Lightroom mobile syncing and see if the memory accumulation still occurs? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, paused sync this morning at 31.5GB committed, looks like that may have controlled it, it has actually dropped to 28.5 GB committed now.
I'm going to un-pause and see if it goes up again 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞
Rebooted PC, restarted LR CC with all 3 background tasks paused, minimised it and walked away ... in nearly 10 hrs, it has consumed 3 billion (EU not US billions 😉 cpu cycles, taken 12 1/2 minutes of CPU time, and has a working set of nearly 6 GB and a virtual size of 12.35 GB
And the usage goes up in small increments every 2m exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like Gary's issue is sync related running on CC license and burns through memory slower than my issue.

I'm running perpetual license, no sync and seems to consume memory at a higher rate. 

I haven't had much of a chance to look into it more as I've got a bunch of other irons in the fire, but this issue is definitely impacting my work flow. I often work on large photo sets that take a few hours to go through and sometimes have to restart lightroom to free up memory. That's not a big deal, but if I pop in a large CF with lots of RAW files, or once I've finished post, do a large export and walk away... I come back to a machine brought to it's knees by lightroom.

-b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, without Sync my issue is a slow-burner and I can live with it, 27hrs of just a minimised LR CC and it's got up to a virtual size of 20.5 GB ... much slower grabbing of memory than with Sync when it would max out my system at 40GB. It's up to 13GB (of 16GB) of real ram used, no room left for my virtual system!  There's definitely something wrong, and it's a lot 'more' wrong on Brian's system.
That's it from me, too much real work to do, I'm shutting down LR and getting the other systems back up. Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for verifying the issue exists for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been really busy with a musical production, so haven't had time to followup on this, but just wanted to add a few new observations.

Two nights ago, I left lightroom open and I was surprised to come back in the morning to find it just fine. Then tonight, I left it running for a few hours and I come back to it swapping again. I was using the same catalog and can't tell you what the difference between these two sessions were. Very odd, but I will try to nail it down.

I've taken some screenshots as well.

This just now while it was swapping away. Caught it early enough my system was response enough to grab these.

And, here's one that shows what was going on the other day as it was slowly working it's way up.

This was the thread capture just as the process was killed.

-b

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure that you were not doing any thing inside Lr during idle? Can you tell the time duration between all those peaks in GPU usage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to clean Lightroom's video cache folders: 

In Windows Explorer, navigate to the two folders “C:\Users\your account\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\“ and “C:\Users\your account\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\Video” and just delete both folders? Then restart Lightroom.

Any video cache files that are needed will be regenerated when requested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also are you running some 3rd party Lightroom plug-ins. I saw some Dropbox extension code loaded. Try disable the plug-ins to see if it makes a difference for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I think I found the memory leak that you both run into and it will be fixed in the next Lightroom update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that clearing the video cache seems to have fixed the problem. I'll continue to monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe released Lightroom 6.9/CC2015.9 today.

This issue should be corrected in this release. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any further issues. 

Complete information about this update can be found at the Lightroom Journal: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/03/lightroom-cc-2015-9-now-available.html

If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, you can use the kbsc [Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ]  to refresh your app. If you are a perpetual license holder, you can access the update via Help>Updates...

Refer to this for any installation issues: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html#lrcc2015
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate