• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Most functions in Edit, Image, Layer, Select and Filter grayed out for image opened from LrC

Guide ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win 10 1803, LR  8.0, I7 8700k, 64GB ram Control keys inop. Most functions in Edit, Image, Layer, Select anf Filter grayed out. Images opened directly into PS all ok. Reset prefs no help.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019
Correct. This issue was fixed in the Photoshop 20.0.2 release: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop-cc-20-0-2-now-available

Thanks for reporting this issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 211 Replies 211
211 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround is to close the file, then re-open from the Photoshop home menu, then it works. It's clearly a bug, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now simply uninstalled PS 2019. Now LR defaults back to opening in PS 2018 which works fine. I'll reinstall once this has been sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

My photoshop recently updated to CC v.20. I usually work between LR and PS, using the LR as a raw editor and PS to do the manipulation. 
Since the update, I've experienced problems in PS. Sometimes doesn't recognize the file, not allow any function. Other times, allows it but gets really slow, presents problems in preview the effects, etc.
I'm not versed in code nor computer language, however, I cannot find any error or crash drive. CPU seems to be working normally and it seems recognized by PS. If I open the exact same file directly on PS, runs just fine. 

Kind regards,
Alexandra

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a likely due to a known problem with the recent release of PS 20.0.1. Open PS first and leave it open. When you want to do more editing in PS on an image you are working on in LR they should  open in PS as expected with all relevant editing commands available. See earlier comments from Jeffrey Tranberry on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, now you think they would have gotten that one fixed right away. It is totally bass ackwards. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't replicate on this end, Mac OS Mojave. LR sends the raw to Photoshop, opens it, renders with ACR, no grayed out menus. A Windows only issue? 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me.  Reset both LR and PS preferences and still have the problem.   If image is opened directly via Camera Raw, PS works fine.  Otherwise, we should get a rebate for LR/PS package because it doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No rebate when something doesn't work. You 'agreed' for everything from them that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s an easier workaround: Launch Photoshop first and then launch Lightroom. This will force everything to work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey,
In case you didn't notice it yourselves.
To me it seems to be a Windows only problem.
All the people I've see who have this problem (myslef included) seem to be on Windows.
Hope this will help.

The workaround works fine for me and will have to do for now, but would be great if this could be solved ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the very last  PS update, I can no longer edit images coming from LR. For instance, I cannot duplicate layer, all menus are grayed, I cannot stamp it to other workable one, etc. If I open that image directly from PS all works fine.  It also works right in my desktop which I did not update.
Adobe Photoshop Version: 20.0.1 20181029.r.41 2018/010/29: 1197484  x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled PS 20.0.1 and reinstalled PS 20.0.0 and all is well.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the recent PS updates, in Lightroom Classic CC when I select 'Edit in Photoshop' on one of my .NEF images, Photoshop loads up as normal but then I am unable to do anything with the image in PS. Duplicating a layer will not work as well as pretty much everything else. I have to close the image in PS, go back into LR and select 'Edit in Photoshop' again and then everything works fine, it is just a pain having to do this every session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When trying to further edit a Lightroom image in Photoshop, I use PHOTO>Edit In> Photoshop 2019. When the image comes up in Photoshop, everything in the FILTER tab is greyed out, including all installed plug ins. When I uninstall 2019, and use 2018, everything works perfectly. What's the problem? This problem exists on two separate computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See above work-around - simply start Photoshop before you interact from Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading this thread, it seems that everyone is reporting this issue between Lightroom and Photoshop. I am not a Lr user, but I do use Br and Ps and I have this problem when browsing Br and then opening an image through ACR to Ps. Most menus are grayed out. I am on Windows 10. I have rebooted, uninstalled/reinstalled Ps CC 20.1 and still the problem persists. If I launch Ps before I send an image from Br everything seems fine. This is my workaround until the issue is fixed.

My two cents worth,
Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are all regression tests gone, long time passing ?
Where are all regression tests gone, long time ago ?
Where are all regression tests gone ?
Developers dropped them everyone.
When will they ever learn ? Oh when will they ever learn ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's worth to be differentiated, as what I noticed Adobe fixes one bug at time, without looking for similar issues until reported as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the problem when going from LR to PS, but not when I go from Bridge to PS ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When exporting a picture from LR classic CC (version 8) to PS (buid 20.0.1) the menu items in PS  stay disabled (like there is no picture open). When I first open PS (no file open) and then exporting the picture the menu items are able. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did some testing on my Win 7 Pro 64 bit system. I am running the latest versions of Lr (8.0), Ps (20.0.1), ACR (11), and Br (9.0.1.216 x64). Tried opening both CR2 (Canon RAW), and PSD files from Lr and Br in Ps with Ps not running. I experience the same issues reported above with Ps when opening these files from Lr; they cannot be edited with many options greyed out. However, when performing the same experiment opening files from Br in Ps, they open as expected in Ps and can be edited as expected. The PSD files open directly in Ps, the CR2 files open in ACR within Ps. If Ps is running already when I perform these experiments there are no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When this issue is fixed, how can we find out?  Does Adobe have an official notification process?  Tech support says the integration issue between LR and PS 20.0.1  is a know issue.  They apparently keep pushing the defective version.  I've gone back to 20.0 and don't want to upgrade until this issue is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When fixes are issued, we reply to the individual threads here. If you've subscribed to this thread, you will get an email notification. If not, this thread is the place where you would check.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but after reading someone has Flickr installed, I realized I didn't have this problem until I added the Flickr publishing service about a week ago. Could just be a coincidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate