• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Not rendering correctly photos with spot removal applied in LR4

LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just upgraded my LR4 to LR5.2 and after open my LR4 catalog in LR5.2 I discovered that some photos (not all) with many spot removal applied are not rendering right:

LR4:

LR5.2:

Am I doing something wrong or is it really a sw bug?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
42 Comments
Participant ,
Sep 23, 2013 Sep 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on my results it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes max. to search through 60,000 images. You only need to do this once and then create a collection, which you can then filter further using the LR Filter Bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I can only reiterate what I said in my previous post. It is a bug which we intend to fix, and once it is fixed, your images will automatically be fixed without you having to do anything. I would not suggest that you invest any time into manually fixing the feathering of clone spots (unless of course you're outputting a particular image right now and need it to look right).

If any of what I've said here changes, I will update this thread.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that's true Ben, but as you said, when you have photos to edit for clients, and the issue needs to be addressed asap, we are thankful there is a work around so that we can move forward without out waiting for an undetermined amount of time.

This thread has been most helpful in addressing the issue. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When LR5 was still in Beta and the Spot Healing Tool gained the Advanced Healing Brush feature, I campaigned heavily on the LR5 Beta Forum for the addition of a "Feather" slider. The new tool was in dire need of such a control, as the Advanced Healing Brush tool brushstrokes had borders that were way too sharp and defined, where as the "classic" Spot Healing repairs had softened edges that progressively feathered as the brush size was increased.

I can see for myself some older images in my catalog with "classic" spot repairs that exhibit this bug, and hope that a simple bug fix will take care of it (such as setting the default feathering of all classic spot repairs to some value substantially higher than 0). The "Feather" slider is an awesome addition to the Spot Repair and Advanced Healing Tool otherwise, and I hope that others will find it as useful as I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of you going ahead and fixing legacy image Feathering "manually" the 'Visualize Spots' option in the Spot Removal bottom toolbar makes it much easier to find the clone/heal spots. You may also want to temporarily undo any Crop settings (CTRL+ALT+R).

From what I can see (~150 images fixed) there is no way that simply applying a "fixed" Feathering setting (75, 50, 25 or whatever) is going to work when importing an older LR catalog with images edited in LR5.0 and earlier versions. On some images it was easier to simply start over using the new Spot Removal tools, which behave quite differently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe a toggle switch or checkbox needs to be added to the Spot Removal UI in the next update to switch between "Classic" edge blending (LR4 and earlier) or manually adjustable feathering as seen in LR5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2013 Nov 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I see that this is listed as resolved in the release notes, but does LR 5.3 RC resolve this issue for existing LR4 images/catalogs that were already upgraded with LR 5.2, with no manual edits required, or do we need to find a way to go back and re-upgrade our LR4 catalog and then merge any edits that took place in LR5.2?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2013 Nov 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated all of my LR4 and earlier edited images manually using LR5.2. None of my images were edited in LR5.0. What I discovered is that with the new Feathering capability clone spots no longer behave the same as LR4 and earlier versions. See this post as to possibly why:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/56994...

I couldn't find one setting value (25%, 50%, 75%) that made ALL of the spots look "good." With the ability to now "click-and-drag" the spot tool it is easier to just start over on many images. Even when updating an existing unconverted LR4 catalog I seriously doubt it is possible to do this conversion "automatically" with good results on all images.

YMMV

You can use AnyFilter or Data Explorer LR plugins to filter images with spot removal applied:

http://www.johnrellis.com/lightroom/a...

http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-good...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, I agree. After my post, I upgraded to 5.3RC and it did resolve the "Feather set to 0" issue, however the spots still don't look the same as they did in LR4. It looks like there were more changes made to the spot healing/clone tool in addition to the new feather control.

I used the new functionality to correct a couple of images relatively quickly, but I still think Adobe should revise this so that existing images continue to look like they did pre-5.2 upgrade. It's going to be difficult to notice all of the potential issues when doing a quick export of older images.

On a side note, Data Explorer, with the focus set to All Photographs, is only identifying 4 images as having the clone tool used (3 that have been modified since the upgrade to 5.x). I have many more images than this where that tool was used, so either I'm doing something wrong or the plugin isn't searching correctly for that criteria - might be a 5.3RC issue. I'll contact Jeffrey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used AnyFilter and had no issues with LR5.2 Final. I just tried Data Explorer and it doesn't seem to be working properly with Group By 'Clone/Heal Corrections.'. Let us know what Jeffrey says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that altough LR 5.3 RC now does have a non-zero default setting for the feathering which makes the images that include spot healing much more look like in LR4, there is still a quite noticable difference (in fact, it appears that the transparency curve is different between both versions). The difference is noticable in particular when the diameter of the spot is close to the size of the object to be removed (i.e. there is usually no problems when removing skin blemishes etc.) .

I believe it is of paramount importance for the LR users that the images are rendered the exact same way when upgrading to a new version. This is why LR uses the concept of process versions. Note that the images may comprise a great deal of manual work iun LR to make them look as desired. For many photograhers, it is important that the look of exported images that are sent to the customer don change just because the software was upgraded.

There might be two solutions to fix the problem in the software:
1. Use the LR4 feathering if the settings of the tool has not been altered by the user and switch to the new rendering as soon as the user touches the feathering slider. This avoids introducing a process version now that the third version of LR5 is out. However, it might be a bit tricky to communicate this behaviour to the customer.
2. Introduce a new process version (and do so in future whenever the slightest change is introduced in the rendering engine).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Data Explorer search results appears under Collections>Data Explorer folders, which I didn't realize. It found 162 images with clone/heal spots and I originally found 178 images with AnyFilter before editing any images.

I may have deleted some of the original clone/spot images during the Feathering updates, so 162 images is probably accurate. Make sure you check 'Include items hidden within collapsed stacks?' when using Data Explorer.

I ran AnyFilter again and now it's only finding 134 images. I'll contact John Ellis and let him know about this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd, I did try with the box checked as well as unchecked - no change in the number of results for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running Data Explorer version 20131115.47?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I discovered what the problem is using AnyFilter 'Spot Removal' filtering with LR5.2/5.3. 'Click and Drag' Spot Removal shows up as a different new operation. John expects to have an update for AnyFilter to correct this in a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
DevMeta is another option for this. Beware: it takes a lot longer for *initial* update (although not nearly as long for me as it did for Todd, it could take from several minutes to several hours depending on your system and size of catalog), but then stays updated automatically forever-more in the background - metadata then always ready for lib filters and smart collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate