• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: "Capture Date is in the last n hours" doesn't work

LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Smart Collections, the rule "Capture Date is in the last n hours" doesn't work. It appears to behave as "Capture Date is today". Here's a screenshot:

Image is not available

LR 3.4, Windows 7

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012
Hi John,

What, you don't remember exactly what you were doing a year ago? Sheesh. 😉 Thanks for your comment. Given that this appears to be a little-used feature with an available substitute, I think we'll probably remove the misbehaving feature, rather than invest the time to work through the performance implications of continuously-updating search criteria.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2011 Jul 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to to go into the details of this: The "is in the last n hours" rule seems to work as follows: The specified number of hours are subtracted from the current date and time. The resulting date (without time) A is compared to the capture date (again, without time) B of the photos and if B is greater than or equal to A, the photo appears in the smart collection.

I guess it's a simple programming error: The final comparison is done using dates without time (as it is done for the "is in the last n days/weeks/etc" rules), whereas it should have been compared as date plus time (possibly with 1-hour-"granularity" *)) for this particular rule.

*) with granularity I mean the following: If the current time is 16:20, the rule "is in the last 1 hours" shows photos captured from 15:00...16:20 and the rule "is in the last 2 hours" shows photos captured from 14:00...16:20 - same logic as in the "last n days" rule. It's purely a matter of taste whether this granularity or a comparison exact to the second is used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2011 Aug 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I have reproduced this problem, and have entered the issue in our bug database. Interestingly, the behavior is different on Mac and Win (wrong on both though :-)).

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, I don't want to waste your precious time, but I'm very puzzled to repeatedly hear about different behaviour between the Mac and Win versions.

By now, I've seen many examples where code that could be shared between the Mac and Win versions because it is sufficiently detached from both hardware and OS, is not shared.

We often hear that the LR team is small, so why is shareable code not shared? It also questions the choice of a portable programming environment (Lua), does it not?

Sorry for this off-topic question, but I'm really curious about the reason behind the many differences in Mac vs Win code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the case of this particular bug, I was actually mistaken, as I realized shortly after writing my previous post. The behavior is the same on Mac and Win. Certainly there are sometimes bugs that occur just on one platform and not on the other, but not being an engineer, I'm not in a good position to speak to the extent of code sharing, or the pros and cons of Lua. :-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben, I appreciate your answer very much. Keep up the good work! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2012 Jan 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't appear to be fixed in LR 4 beta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John, you still out there? An engineer has looked at this bug and has made the following comment:

"I advocate removing this criteria altogether. In my opinion, this feature is useless unless we retrofit search code to consistently autoupdate. Not sure if that's worth the effort since sort by date descending is a work around."

I'm inclined to agree, but I wanted to see what you thought. Is there a specific workflow you have in mind that wouldn't be satisfied by a workaround such as a "last day" smart collection, sorted by capture time descending?

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben,

I can't remember the details of what I was trying to do when I tripped over that. The suggested workaround would probably be adequate for what I do.

Perhaps in a tethered workflow, the photographer would want to have a smart collection showing the last 2 hours, to isolate exactly the photos in the most recent tethered session?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

What, you don't remember exactly what you were doing a year ago? Sheesh. 😉 Thanks for your comment. Given that this appears to be a little-used feature with an available substitute, I think we'll probably remove the misbehaving feature, rather than invest the time to work through the performance implications of continuously-updating search criteria.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know edit-date works to nearest hour (or minute) just by editing smart collection rule and changing integer value to floating point (decimal).

Does that not work for capture date as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hours" is removed from the smart-collection user interface. But I tried editing an exported .lrsmcol file to contain:

value = {
{
criteria = "captureTime",
operation = "inLast",
value = 1.0,
value2 = 1.0,
value_units = "hours",
},
combine = "intersect",
},

and then re-importing it, but it didn't seem to work on either Windows or Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I leave value_units = "days" and set value = .0417 to represent one hour - works for me (edit-time).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Got it. I can use that in Any Filter to speed up "in the last n hours". Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate