• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Self Created Preset Brush Problem

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2012 Jun 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When painting with a self created brush preset it always changes the title of the brush from whatever you have called it to Custom after you have made the first stroke, even though no sliders have been moved to change or alter the brush.This in its self doesn't alter the ability of the brush to do what it is being asked but can leave you wondering if you have been painting with the brush you first selected or whether it has changed.This doesn't seem to happen with the presets that come with LR. A friend has confirmed that his self created presets are doing the same.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017
Issue was fixed in Lightroom 4.3 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
11 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very strange.... I see the same thing, but the other way 'round: It happens only for LR's built-in presets, but not for my own presets.

LR 4.1 64Bit, Win7

Edit: For self created presets, I see a very short moment when "Custom" is displayed (just a fraction of a second), but then it goes back to the preset name. Perhaps this is some kind of timing or race condition problem in the GUI refresh logic.

Edit 2: I also see the problem when starting painting using a self created edited preset: The display "<preset name> (edited)" changes to "custom" as soon as painting starts. Doesn't happen all the time, but something seems to be wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed here with self created presets. noticed it last night and titel changes to custom as soon as you start brushing.

Not good behaviour as you think a value has changed when it hasn't and you have to keep reselecting the same preset because you either forgot which you were using or thought a value had changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All on PV2012? If so, that would be as a result of the new Defringe slider being added in 4.1. Your earlier presets don't have a value for the defringe slider, and are therefore being seen as custom settings.

Whether Adobe will adjust the coding to avoid it, I don't know, but there are 2 solutions in the meantime.

1. Select each preset in turn, adjust one of the sliders very slightly, and select Update X Preset from the pop-up menu.

2. Open the presets in a text editor and add a defringe = 0, line

Either solution works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good hint with PV2012 - but the problem is still a different one (I think).

I think I found out what is causing this: This happens when you are in PV2012 *and* the preset contains both PV2010 and PV2012 settings *and* some the PV2010 settings in the preset (wich are just dummies for PV2012) are not zero. This can happen if you switched between the PVs and changed values in both PVs before (can be used to create a preset which works in both PVs). The build-in presets seem to have such values, too (at least when they are freshly restored).

For a affected preset (if you don't need to work it in PV2010), edit the lrtemplate file and set the following values to zero:

clarity = 0,
contrast = 0,
exposure = 0,

...or simply delete them.

Note: a) A missing defringe setting does not seem to cause this. b) This applies to the built-in presets as well, they can be "fixed" in the same way.

However, this but should be fixed directly in LR, even if it is not very severe.

By the way: The problem exists also in reverse: When working in PV2010 and using a preset that contains non-zero PV2012 values, that also changes to "custom" when beginning to paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great bit of investigation, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2012 Jun 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, glad I reported this and glad I'm not alone with this curious problem.

Now my tech know how has been left well and truely behind with all this tech talk above, completely lost on what PV2010/PV2012 even is or does. I know how to use Lightroom, and I know when something is wrong, but lifting the hood to find and tinker with the engine that runs the program is best left alone with me, I'd break it even further lol.

Hopefully this will be fixed with LR4.2 or whatever number they come up with next. I can live with it the way it is but will just have to be aware I have definitely selected the correct brush before painting away. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dom,

Just to convert techy to english for you ;)

LR3 used process version 2010 (PV2010)
LR4 uses process version 2012 (PV2012)

You are using PV2012 in this instance (as I know you are editing using the LR4 process version).. so in short do not worry about which process version ;)

the problem seems to occur because in LR4.0 the defringe slider did not exist in the adjustment brushes. LR4.1 added the defringe slider to the adjustment brushes.

so in effect we have a LR4.0 preset that doesn't know about the defringe slider and using LR4.1 that expects a value for the defringe slider (even if that value is 0)

Having said all that, I have tried updating the old preset and also saving the old preset as a new name and neither fix the problem. So as far as I can see, this is still a bug without a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just came back to report that adding defringe = 0 doesn't fix it. Thanks LRuser24, I'll go back and delate the 2010 parameters

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. Useful to know it's those extra parameters that can affect it too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, it sounds like the PV2012 change of sliders has had an impact, as well as the defringe slider. It's in the main bugbase, so it's in with a shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Issue was fixed in Lightroom 4.3 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate