• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Skipping some raw files on raw+jpeg import

Explorer ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For several years now, users have been asking for a way to import only the RAW file when shooting RAW+jpeg. In fact, it's never been satisfactorily explained to me why I would ever want to import the jpeg into Lightroom.

I do all my post work on a desktop workstation, but I shoot tethered to a laptop, to which I only import jpegs for reasons of speed and storage (the image pops up immediately, and I don't have to constantly trash all the RAWs to save HD space). Once I'm ready to import, I have no further use for the jpegs. I can't even imagine a reason I'd want to bring them into Lightroom.

There is no way to do this in Lightroom's import interface, and I guess there never will be, and I'd made my peace with that, until Lightroom learned a new trick recently. 

Several imports in a row now, Lightroom has imported the RAW and the jpeg for most of the card, but skips the RAW for several images and only brings in the jpeg. This is not immediately apparent, as you can imagine. Fortunately, I've caught it every time but once before formatting the card, and been able to import the missing RAWs manually. Once, I'd already formatted the card but was able to find the missing files with Photorescue. 

It's just all the more infuriating because it wouldn't even be an issue except for that one stupid omission in the import dialogue. I can't even threaten to "take my business elsewhere", because even if I switch to Capture One, I'm still paying for two Creative Cloud subscriptions (long story; one computer too many in my workflow). 

I can only hope this is just a bug that will be squashed before the excruciating workarounds age me prematurely. More.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave up on an official solution. For a while, I used a macro that ran every time I inserted the SD card, but that wasn’t 100% reliable.

Then I bought a CF card and set up the camera to write jpegs to CF and raw to SD. It never leaves the camera, but it was cheap and solved the problem. If your camera has two card slots maybe it’ll work for you. The jpeg card can be tiny, and I format it whenever I think of it. A kludge, but it’s working for me, and waiting for Adobe was just giving me grey hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 12, 2019 Apr 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,
I use the same procedure. This seems to me to be the safest way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2019 Apr 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thibaud,  Thanks for your reply.  I now capture only raw images and import them as raw  and since dispensing with jpeg images, don't have this problem anymore.  Thanks for your suggestions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this marked solved? These are workarounds, not solutions. 

When you don't fix your software and mark the problem solved it adds insult to injury

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2019 Jul 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joel,

This is a two year old post.  The issue creating the problem was identified and fixed quite some time ago..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please let us know if you face this issue in Lightroom Classic latest version (8.3.1).

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am importing RAW files from a folder on my computer, and Lightroom classic is skipping random images.  They are from one numerical sequence, one single photo shoot. There is no discernible rhyme or reason to why the ones being skipped are skipped. Can you please advise on how to submit a bug report? Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate