• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Text filtering problems with "Starts With"

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to use the "Text" option in the Library Filter in Grid mode to select photographs that needed renaming. I used the "Filename" "Starts With" option. It used to filter only files whose file name started with the text that I put into the search box. Now it appears to find any file that has the text in the file name, not just at the beginning. It seems to be looking at the beginning of every word in the file name. I think I first noticed this when Version 3 came out, but it might have been before that.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011
I was able to reproduce this, and have filed a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate
13 Comments
Contributor ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another example of the inconsistent and strange behavior with string matching in Lightroom. Hopefully now that the new rendering engine was finished in version 3. The developers can really work on cleaning up and enhancing the DAM functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2011 Aug 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce this, and have filed a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2014 Jun 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two more reports of the same problem with "filename starts with / ends with" treating filenames as punctuation-separated words:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...
(see the post on 6/30/14)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2016 Mar 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still seeing the exact same issue in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, the 2016 version. In other words, this problem continues to exist five years after it was first reported and confirmed by Adobe staff. Isn't it about time action was taken?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have discovered a bug in Adode Photoshop Lightroom 5. When I am using the Search function in the Library Module and I choose "Filename" and "Starts With," Lightroom treats it as a "contains" search instead. The attached file shows I was searching for "RR13 Kropp" (with a space between). But some of the thumbnails shown are for files called "RR13 Bill Keith Kropp..." Seems like Lightroom should have not shown the Bill Keith files when "Starts With" is chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 4.4 RC1 Still has starts with bug. When creating a smart collection for example if you filter on filename starts with 20 for example it selects any filename that starts with 20 in position 1 and 2 which would be correct but also includes any file that contains anywhere a space followed by 20. It is like starts with means any word (words separated by spaces) starts with. I have 56 files that start with 20 and 6000 plus more that have a date after the first position that begins "space" 20. The file 2012-10-01-Sunny.jpg should be selected but Sunny 2012-10-01.jpg should not. This forum documents this bug back to LR3 and acknowledges a bug tracker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you search for photos whose filenames end with G, it'll match not only JPG and JPEG extensions, but also

PLUG,DRAIN.TIF

since commas are treated as separator instead of data.

I'm used to spaces being treated as separators, but comma too?

If not a handling option, at least some documentation or something..

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug appears to have been sliently fixed in the past three years.  Tested on LR 8.3.1 / Mac OS 10.14.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2020 Apr 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the problem: text "starts with" or "ends with" doesn't work.  It works more like "contains" for me.  Windows 10 1909, Lightroom Classic 9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a detailed example of what's not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. 
Title = "Deerpark Court Tomb with Lough Gill in background"
Filter = text Title Ends With "deerpark"
displays the photo even though title does not end with "deerpark"
same photo
Filter = text Title Starts With "background"
displays the photo even though title does not start with "background"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Different bug -- the original topic was about Filename. This bug is about Title.

Please reference the new conversation here: Lightroom: Filter and smart collection criteria Title Starts With and Title Ends ...

Votes

Translate

Translate