• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Updated to 12.1 & seeing "Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage' error after relaunch (Win)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on posted recommendations here, I updated my LR C to 12.1., however, I still do get the error message and am not able to open LR at all. 

Ales22261721njc9_0-1671175814634.png

What shall I do?

Views

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Adding bug number

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

also to get to that view you may have to right click and select show package contents if on a mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Received the following error. I installed LRC 12.1 and restarted the computer but still experiencing this issue. 

annmarieh84599219_1-1672120928725.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue/error message" 

Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage

'Failed to create lock file inside the folder: Images Catalogue-2020-v12.lrcat-data.

The process cannot access the folder because it is being used by another process.'

This started happening today and I can't work out how to fix it, can someone please help! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In System Preferences ((System Settings in Ventura), >Security & Privacy, >Full Disk Access, do you see Lightroom listed? If not, do add it and try again.

See: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-give-full-disk-access...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have given added it/ given it full access but it is still coming up with the error

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A fix is in this thread.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Windows solution, is there a Mac solution? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I still don't understand how to fix the situation on a Mac. Please can someone help, thank you! 

Image 28-12-2022 at 23.46.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 30, 2022 Dec 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I still don't understand how to fix the situation on a Mac."

Adobe announced that LR 12.0.1 fixed this issue on Mac, and I can't find other reports here of that error on 12.0.1 or 12.1 (there might be some but I can't find them).  

Do the menu command Help > System Info and verify you have LR 12.1 (the latest version) installed.  If not, do Help > Updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem and it's extremly annoying. Finally managed to fix it by changing the name of the catalogue. Works fine now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*SAME ISSUE*  This happened to me WITHOUT updating. It just started one day.
Windows 11. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version a couple times. Folders are set to read and write. Permissions are in order. 
Where is Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis I happened to have this issue happen to me on 12.1, but was due to lightroom crashing while closing the library (this happened because my MacBook keeps disconnecting and reconnecting my external drives when I close my lid, can't disable hdd sleep due to apple removing it in settings, which would cause the next time I open lightroom to throw me an error of not finding library and having to close)

Now for the person you were replying to (main reason for comment) @Ahsan27733981kfwl :

Now to fix on Mac at least, you need to go to the folder containing the lightroom catalog file and right click on the lightroom catalog file and select show package contents and then follow the steps here:

No, this has nothing to do with improper closing of Lightroom and a .lock file that needs to be deleted. Quite the opposite. The error says that Lightroom needs to create a lock file, but can't. This was a known issue with Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 and was supposed to be fixed in Lightroom Classic 12.1. Apparently it was not fixed completely. The discussion about the problem in 12.0.1 mentioned the following work-around, which is worth trying now as well:

For Windows:

Go to the catalog location > Open the .lrdata folder.

Delete or move the file named 'Current.'

Relaunch Lightroom Classic - twice. (The first relaunch returns the error, the following relaunch works)

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just followed this for my Mac and it has not resolved the error.   There is no longer a file called CURRENT.  Any other suggestions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@thomasm41488594 did you open the lightroom catalog-v12.lrcat-data file? It's not in the lightroom catalog.lrcat-data file. It should be in the one with a version number in the name. This is the way it shows on my library anyways, ill post some pictures to

show

ExternalFolderView.jpgScreenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.22.07 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.25.58 PM.pngScreenshot 2023-01-09 at 9.27.02 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding bug number

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the recommendation to open the lrdata file.  Renamed CURRENT to "former CURRENT".  Tried restarting Lightroom Classic 3 times, no success.  I also deleted "former CURRENT" and restarted 3 times, no success.

Running on Windows 11 (recent install), LR Classic version 12.1.0.8.   

There is no .lock file to be found anywhere.

What else?

Thanks,  Grady

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2023 Jan 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fyi.  specific data file where CURRENT folder was found and renamed is "Grady giga V10-v12.lrcat-data"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success, I think.

I made a copy of my folder and named it "Grady giga COPY V10-v12.lrcat".  I clicked on this folder and Lightroom Classic 12.1.0.8 has apparently opened up with my photos.  I have no idea why  "Grady giga V10-v12.lrcat" gives the "lock file" error message, but a copy of it does not.  Will the lock file issue come up again?    Will I always need to click on "Grady giga COPY V10-v12.lrcat" ?

Possibly more to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I wanted to start a catalogue in Lightroom (Verison 12.1). Now I get the error message as shown in the picture. 

I am working with a MacBook Pro (14", 2021) and macOS Ventura (version 13.1). The catalogue is on a hard disk (SSD). As a test, I have already copied it to the computer itself. The programme still does not open here. Not even by pressing the "Option" key when starting Lightroom.

Who also has such problems and can help me?

Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-23 um 03.35.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this really saved me from a huge headache. thands!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Échec de l'initialisation du stockage du masque de pixels

Échec de la création du fichier de verrouillage dans le dossier : Lightroom Catalog-2-2-

v12-2.Ircat-data.

Le processus ne peut pas accéder au dossier car il est utilisé par un autre processus.

C'est la 2ème fois que cela arrive, pour contourner j'ouvre un catalogue plus ancien  mais je perds mes denières modifications.

Quelqu'un a eu ce problème? et a su le résoudre?

Merci de vos réponses

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of LrC?

older than v12.0.1?

Votes

Translate