• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Updated to 12.1 & seeing "Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage' error after relaunch (Win)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on posted recommendations here, I updated my LR C to 12.1., however, I still do get the error message and am not able to open LR at all. 

Ales22261721njc9_0-1671175814634.png

What shall I do?

Views

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Adding bug number

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
62 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2022 Nov 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I keep getting this message "Failed to create lock file inside the folder: McCarthy 2022.lrcat-data.

The process cannot access the folder because it is being used by another process." when trying to open any of my cataloges. It's so frustrating! Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could! When I open creative cloud it says my light room classic doesnt need an upgrade. What do I do if that happens? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Log out of creative cloud and log back in. Then try checking for updates again. It should now come up. If not log out of the creative cloud app. Reboot the computer and log back in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still showing that it's up to date. So frsutrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing. Now I'm getting a message saying "Lightroom cannot open the catalog names "_____" lovations on "seagate portable drive" because lightroom cannot save changes to this location. Lightroom catalogs can not be opened on network volumes, removable storage, or read only volumes." 

I have been using an external hard drive with lightroom for ever. Why would it all of a sudden be saying this?

Hannah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2022 Nov 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you also upgraded your Mac to Ventura, there is a known bug in Ventura that affects catalogs on external volumes. It just happened to hit at the same time as the Lightroom v12 release. LrC v12.0.1 has a workaround for this problem. Did you install the v12.0.1 update? Also have you given LrC permission to use external volumes? This is done in system preferences -> security and privacy and then give LrC full disk access. This is another strange hidden thing Apple introduced that affects LrC that is very non obvious. The system should automatically ask you to get permission to access external volumes/desktop folder, etc but often doesn't and then it just behaves weird. You can circumvent this by giving LrC full disk access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems Lightroom wasn't closed properly and so there's remaining a .lock file besides the catalog file.

If Lightroom is running it creates a .lock file for the opened catalog next to the approriate .lrcat file.

On LRs regulary shut down this file was deleted. If LR crashes the .lock file remains in the appropriate folder.

In this case the .lock file must be deleted manually.

More informations about this, you'll find here: 

The Lightroom catalog cannot be opened because another application already has it opened - lrcat.loc...

Another point could be that Lifghtroom doesn't have full access rights to the folder with the catalog file. Please check if LR does have full right to the appropriate folder.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am trying to open a catalog in Lightroom 12.1 on windows 11 22h2. The catalog has been moved and than moved back to original position. Now a get an error : lightroom kan pixelmaskeropslag niet initialiseren. 

Please help.

Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I tried to follow these steps, however, I cannot find any .lrcat.lock file in my Catalog...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you has rebooted your computer?

Please do a cold boot!!

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not open Lightroom CC due to error Error Message: Failed to initialize pixel-mask storage (Windows 11)

I have read a lot of posts. I have deleted lock files, I have restarted PC numerous times. I have shut down and started PC numerous times. I did a search for lock files and found none. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tired the above and still can not open. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Lock files

PhyllisHollifield_0-1671206228278.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've rebooted and it did not help.

Any other idea how to fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this has nothing to do with improper closing of Lightroom and a .lock file that needs to be deleted. Quite the opposite. The error says that Lightroom needs to create a lock file, but can't. This was a known issue with Lightroom Classic 12.0.1 and was supposed to be fixed in Lightroom Classic 12.1. Apparently it was not fixed completely. The discussion about the problem in 12.0.1 mentioned the following work-around, which is worth trying now as well:

For Windows:

• Go to the catalog location > Open the .lrdata folder.
  • Delete or move the file named 'Current.'
  • Relaunch Lightroom Classic - twice. (The first relaunch returns the error, the following relaunch works)

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.....this worked. I found the Current folder in the Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v12.lrcat-data. 

Thank you agian for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2022 Dec 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for reply!

I tried to follow it, however it doesn't work either.

Here is the catalog, however there is no file called Current:

Ales22261721njc9_0-1671391240469.png

Do I follow it correctly?

Thank you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First find the Lightroom Catalog-2-2v12.lrcat-data

PhyllisHollifield_0-1671396480774.png

Then double click it. 

PhyllisHollifield_1-1671396601289.png

Then rename CURRENT

Then open Lightroom, you will get error message again, then opne Lightroom again and lightroom should open. This is what I did and it worked. I hope it works for you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great!!! It works!!!

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This morning when trying to launch Lightroom Classic I get the following error message:

Failed to initalize pixel-mask storage
Failed to create lock file inside the folder: Lightroom Catalog.Ircat-data.

The process cannot access the folder because it is being used by another process.

As mentioned, this just started happening today.  Lightroom Classic is up to date.  My OS is Windows 11 which is also up to date.

Any suggestions on what is causing this and how to fix?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that the folder conating the LrC catalog doesn't already have a lock file. If it does, then delete same and retry launching the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no lock file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not a .lock file in the catalog folder that needs to be removed. The problem is that Lightroom Classic needs to create a lock file inside the catalog.lrcat-data folder but can't. I gave the solution earlier in this thread, so just scroll back to the previous answers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate