• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Upgrading Nikon Z9 Firmware to 4.0 breaks tethering

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am attempting to tether a Nikon Z9 using Lightroom Classic, but LRC can't detect the Z9.  I am able to download pictures from the Z9 to LRC all day long, and LRC successfully detects my Nikon D850 for tethering.  Nikon Z9 firmware is 4.0.  Mac iOs is 13.4.1.  LRC release is 12.4.  All are up to date.  Any ideas?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Cross-referencing to existing bug. 

The obvious workaround is, since the firmware update breaks functionality, is to revert to Nikon's previous firmware version until Nikon can issue a fix.  This has been reported by others to restore functionality.

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
34 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frimware 4 breaks tehering with the z9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the Z9 problem is the same firmware update issue. 4.01 was released last two weeks ago or so. The firmware version is not yet supported by the current Nikon tethering API that is included in Lightroom and so it won't work. You can use Nikon's free tethering software and just use a watched folder to get the raw files into Classic automatically. Works just as well as the built-in tethering and is Apple Silicon native so you won't have to run Lightroom in emulation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm hoping it will be fixed in the next lightroom update. If you are not interested in having a hot folder setup there is another work around that I am using to tether to LR. 

You can download a trial version of Smart shooter v5. (30days)

It enables Z9 tethering and is not too hard to set up. 

As long as you enable lightroom tethering and install the lightroom plugin it works great.

Main thing to do is start Smartshoot 5 first, ensure the camera is connected then you can tether as per normal in lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I contacted Nikon CS and this was their reply:

Subject: Nikon Z9 - Tethering Issue with Latest Firmware Update
Dear Jon,

Thank you for contacting Nikon Support.

I understand the issue and I know it does not help you any further but it is Adobe who offers compatibility with Adobe´s Lightroom and not Nikon. 

For that matter I advise you to contact Adobe Support to inform you whether the latest firmware update has disturbed tethering into Lightroom.

In case you have questions or need more information, please do not hesitate contacting me.

Kind regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2023 Sep 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I contacted Nikon CS and this was their reply"

Not surprising but about as trustworthy as Adobe support. LR uses a Nikon-supplied library for connecting to cameras. The v4 firmware update could be incompatible with that library, and Adobe will have to wait for Nikon to supply a new one (and Nikon is very slow at updating its library). Alternatively the firmware update could be compatible with the library but changed its behavior in a technically correct way that was unexpected by LR (a LR bug). 

Impossible for us to know where to point the finger. But based on years of past experience, we shouldn't expect much transparency from either company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all,

Updates for the Adobe Photography Products have been released.  The October 2023 updates contain a fix for this issue. 

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does any one know if Nikon Z9 firmware 5.0 works with the current version (13.2) of LRC for tethering? Want to make sure before I move forward on purchasing the Z9. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I find that Z 9 firmware tethers ok to LrC in both PC and Mac OS. Z 8 will not tether properly in either. The new Z 8 firmware, 2.01 does not fix that.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate