• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: (Win) Consumes RAM during import and fails to release afterwards

Explorer ,
Aug 22, 2024 Aug 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I notice that LR eats all memory when you start importing images.

When opened, it takes about 1.5-3GB ram. Then import 100 images, and RAM shoots up to +17GB

Iv been doing some tests with smaller raw files, same thing, always goes up to 17GB ram usage. The folder i imported as test contains only 5GB of raws, and LR uses more then twice that amount to import those images? When you delete the images, 17GB ram is still in use. Then tested less images, like 30, and memory still goes up, but less, around 5GB ram extra, for images that on disk only take around 1GB. Importing more images, like +300 will not make memory to increase more then 17GB.

Solution? Import images, restart LR to clear memory, edit... and ram usage will stay "normal" around 6GB during edit after some testing. Thats 10GB less then just doing an import. Whats up with that?

Im on 13.5 btw

[Moved from ‘Bugs’ to ‘Discussions’ by moderator, according to forum rules.]

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

I've opened a bug for the team to review. They may contact you directly for more information. 

Thanks for your report and the refinements. 

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2024 Aug 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're missing the point. I have turned off integrated GPU in my system settings. Only my RTX is working in LR and other stuff on my PC. There is no conflict in this case, but still I have the same problems... Your theory is just wrong, that's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem.

i5-8600K, RTX 3060TI, 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, 1TB SSD M.2

Got 15-18GB usage of RAM.

It's funny when @D Fosse is talking about "good working LR" on laptops that have a half (or less) of the power ours PCs have and doesn't see that this IS a problem with the program itself, not with our PCs. Otherwise how the hell a laptop with integrated GPU and 8-16GB of RAM can be better in LR than a PC with a pretty good dedicated GPU and 32GB of RAM? It's simply impossible in a normal way. That is THE SAME performance that is used in games. I can have 500FPS and on this laptop he'll have 120FPS at max, and that's the difference between our specs. Don't you dare to say we have too weak PCs, cause that's not the problem if slower laptops works better in the same programs...

By @XeoN_PL

Thought this over a bit, and now I am going to recommend that you create your own Discussion Post in the community. Even though the Moderators might merge it into the above. My reasons are as follows:

• This existing Discussion appears to be getting nowhere.
  • This Discussion is now a bit old. LrC versions have moved on, Operating Systems have moved on, GPU drivers have moved on.
  • You appear to be a Gamer, I get that from the mention of FPS. You may have a different outlook, maybe a few more tools
  • The replies above appear  to be irritating you (probably this reply as well). So now an argumentative situation exists. Perhaps start over. take a breath, Most of us will try to not state "Oh isn't that precious"
  • Something in the back of my head, just screaming to request a separate post. I have no idea what is bugging me, but..

When you create your new post use your own words for the Subject, and for the description of your problem. Also include a screenshot of your System Information as LrC reports it (/Help/System Info) at least from the first line down to and including the plug-in info (info after the plug-in info typically for full out tech nerds, many of us have no idea how to read it, just eats up scroll space in a posting)

Also any error message

Also any screenshots you feel may help show the problem

And if you can a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2024 Aug 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, right. Mentioning FPS to show the defferences better means I am a gamer. Right. Nice thinking process.

I don't think this discussion is old. Problem still occure in a lot of LrC users. That doesn't change anything if I'll write here or in new topic. And there's no point to create a new one when the old one is not solved.

Replies above irritates me cause they are useless asf... Doesn't bring anything specific to help with solving the problem. And it looks like it changed for a few times with the topic progress. First it was RAM  next it was vRAM, now it's different GPUs... I feel like every next possibility is more stupid than the previous, but still doesn't work anyway.

My problem is the same as the OP have. My LrC use 15GB of RAM or more and start to freeze even more with every new mask. This topic is not solved, and it looks like it'll not ever be. My new topic with my own screenshots and videos will not help. It looks the same as in the OPs problem in this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2024 Aug 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem after the latest update of LRC (August 2024) and it doesn't require masking or well, anything tbh.  Start LRC, and leave it in the background.  Soon after, it will have consumed all available RAM and casued the system to go into a paging frenzy.  Lightroom has always been leakier than the titanic after the iceberg tbh, but this latest release is unusable.

I can only imagine there is some iterative background process that is eating all the memory, however I have turned off syncing and face finding and it still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2024 Aug 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the same for me! my lightroom just frozen because he takes all the RAM for no reason! they MUST fix that inmediatly, this is not a free or cheap software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2024 Aug 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seem to be experiencing similar issues today. Multiple freezes.  Have reduced the number of images in the catalogue and still crashes. Also have 32GB RAM running a AMD Radeon RX6600 GPU with all drivers updated to the latest version availble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Pranesh_ZA 

This thread is primarily about excess memory use, although others, like you, have decided to expand it to crashes, etc.

If you don't have the 'memory' issues described in the first page or two of the thread, then it's very unlikely that you're experiencing the same issue and would better off starting a new thread.

The new thread should describe in detail the issue you're experiencing and also include a copy of your 'System Info'. The System Info can be copied from the dialog that opens when you click on the Help > System Info menu item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like nobody cares and noone want to really check the problem inside the developers team. All they have done is just accusing us that our PCs are not set properly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK here's an update.  I disabled the GPU, and the problem went away.  I then updated the driver for my nVidia GTX 1050Ti to the latest Studio (as opposed to gaming) driver version 560.81  ( I don't know whether this is required - the gaming drivers may work just as well - I haven't tested them)

Turned the GPU back on (set it to "auto" in LRC preferences) and the problem has not come back.   I can only imagine Adobe tweaked a background process so that it now uses the GPU, and it was using it in a way that it's never done before, and was not compatible with the old driver I had installed.

Hope this helps

Windows 10 64bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. So, I found the source of the problem, which turned out to be what I suspected from the beginning. The issue comes from my hard drive, which has too many bad sectors and is at the end of its life. I installed a new drive (an M2 SSD while I was at it), reinstalled everything, and I have no issues now. The disk repair via sfc /scannow and chkdsk had not resolved anything previously.

Cheers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great it works for you. I've got new M.2 drive where I've got LRC installed. It still uses even 17GB RAM and everything slow down and don't want to work... Newesr drivers installed, of course for studio version, as always. And still nothing has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like nobody cares and noone want to really check the problem inside the developers team. All they have done is just accusing us that our PCs are not set properly...

By @XeoN_PL

So far, not a single actual Adobe employee, not a single Adobe Tech, has made a reply in this Discussion.

That is not abnormal, Irritating, and not helpful, but not abnormal. These community Pages are actually for members to correspond in, to ask for advice, to bring up solutions, to share ides, techniques, etc. And yes to try to get Adobe to help with a problem. Oh I understand that some Adobe support pages point you to the community pages, but either Adobe is being lazy or they are thinking back to the old Feedback Pages, that had a version where Adobe Techs were involved. I suspect they are just hoping to pass off issues to other members that may have solutions. And some members have attempted to do so.

But, yes, occasionally an Adobe Tech will respond. But looking at the 6 pages, not a single one has to this discussion

Oh you will see something like for members with the Expert tag, and two with the Legend tag trying to help. Bit not a single Adobe Employee.

And yes, their are many members that have added in as "Me To" so this problem is effecting several member's, and may not be a issue with a particular computer.

So, is Adobe not interested? I do not know.

Ok, enough of that. A recommendation. Bring up a Adobe Support page, and click on the Communicate (Chat) button. Start a Chat. Include your description of the problem. Include a link to this Discussion. And then be assertive in requiring an actual Adobe Support Tech to call or be connected to you.

And please, please, take good notes and reply back in this discussion as to what you learn, what the Adobe Techs did. As to help everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @XeoN_PL

I think you can safely assume that they have noticed - but that they just cannot reproduce it. Just as I can't reproduce it, I have never seen any of these symptoms (and I do monitor my memory usage).

I'm not saying it isn't real for those who do have this problem, but to fix a problem you first have to reproduce it so that you can start debugging. You can't fix something that works.

Adobe staff are reading this, and they are usually quick to acknowledge if they are able to confirm unwanted behavior in the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Guess you checked your hard drive health too 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's new. Bought because of this problems. I also though it could've been a problem with discs, but no. On new drive it's still the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an incrdible joke. I also saw memory shoot up. I open LR, its stable at 3.6GB and stays there. I import 200 images, 5GB sRAW total, and RAM shoots up to 17GB usage, thats 13GB, why? its more then twice the full raw image... dont tell me previews are bigger then the raws lol. I then restart LR after that and RAM is fine again and can edit the images and ram will sit around 6GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I merged your post from other memory thread to this one originally created by you in Bugs. Hopefully, this will help you obtain relevant question/answers.

In the meantime, please provide a copy of your 'System Info'. You can copy this from the dialog that open when you select Help > System Info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I cannot reproduce the high memory use that your describe on any of my Mac computers. I tried the Mac internal card reader, an external card reader and import from disk after copying files to disk from the memory card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I only clicked on windows when making the report. So you probably cannot replacte it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video:

Brand new catalog, openend LR, imported random folder, with +200 images.

https://streamable.com/2ltxls

Dont understand it cannot be reported as a bug... Imagine working on an image and you want to edit in PS, PS will have almost no memory left. https://streamable.com/2ltxls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think it's possible to post in the bug section?

New version same laggy problem, and i dont see any post in bug section about ram/vram problem.

Spend day phoning with lvl 1/2 technician doing mess on my computer at the end it's always my fault (32go ram/8go vram/nvme).

This problem ruining my pro life and patch after patch nothing new, they add feature nodoby ask but dont correct core problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use CC apps on multiple computer almost every day and have not seen this issue, ever. So calling it a bug is iffy, something that can't be reproduced might well be a conflict or misconfiguration. And it seems like this is a Windows issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a windows issue, and i spend day to show technicien the bug. Nothing move and as you can see the topics is full of people with the same problem. I use lr since 10 years and its a mess since 1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below are links to. the first two posts in the 'Bugs' forum. The first provides a detailed explanation of a bug. The second link explains how a bug report should be formatted, etc. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-do-i-post-in-discussions-or-bugs/idi-p/13691...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple people across multiple threads are reporting the same problem. Then you come along with "works on mine, so i call BS" attitude. Not very helpful or constructive, is it?

I have this problem on two machines. One Intel with Radeon graphics, 64GB RAM. Second one - AMD with Nvidia graphics and 32GB RAM. One common thing between them is Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate