Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

5DS(r) tone curve in LR and ACR : crushed shadows with all profiles

Explorer ,
Jun 16, 2015 Jun 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When Adobe released LR CC with what appeared at the time as a preliminary handling of the Canon 5DS(r) files, I noticed that the tone curve with all profiles (either Adobe standard or brand-specific profiles) seemed to produce much darker shadows than all other Canon cameras. This is something DPreview's noticed too :

"Furthermore, comparisons are slightly complicated by the aggressive tone curve ACR is applying to the 5DS R files that are crushing its blacks, and potentially decreasing the levels of visible noise by making them darker. We expect a later version of ACR to fix this, at which point we will re-process and revisit these results."

Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

With the release of LR 2015.1, I was expecting this behaviour to be corrected, but that isn't the case. Is it something that's inherent to the 5DS(r) files ? Does Adobe plan to correct this ?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

For your convenience, I've made "Medium Contrast" versions of the profiles if you want a lower-contrast default starting point.

For the 5Ds:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35081204/Canon%20EOS%205DS%20Medium%20Contrast.dcp

For the 5Ds R:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35081204/Canon%20EOS%205DS%20R%20Medium%20Contrast.dcp

To install on the Mac, download and copy them here:  /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles/

To install on Windows, download and cop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadManChan2000 Thanks for your reply ...

Not sure why my DPP4 was set at -4 but i think it was the first time i ever used it. Good to know you think this may be the issue.

Any chance Adobe can update the profile or offer it as default / standard because the existing profile is killing the camera out the bag in ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Earlier in this thread, I posted two links to variations of the color profiles (one for the 5DS, and another for the 5DS R) where the contrast is lower and is probably a closer match to the DPP -4 setting.  I called these "Medium Contrast" versions.  Please give these a try and see what you think.

Cheers,

Eric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MadManChan2000 Yes, i have installed the medium contrast profile Eric - It's much better than the Adobe Standard default.

I think everyone would agree it should be default as much better to start of soft and increase contrast to taste.

Appreciate all your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread, but I wonder if the reason DPP is showing a Contrast -4 for one person and 0 for others is that DPP is picking up the camera settings, and the CAMERA is set to Contrast -4 for the one user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was reading all of this thread... Some interesting informations that helped me to tweak my own profiles for my 5DS and my 5DSR.
Here are my profiles :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak5vIZqwJCnXi_sfnpgGUL4EcQnn4Q

There are 8 profiles :

Capture d’écran 2016-07-30 à 03.41.47.png

The difference with or without the offset is the offset of the light. With offset profiles, pictures are more lighten (test them and look at the histogram).

The author of "medium contrast" had taken the 6D curve and applied the "adobe standard" colors. For my self, i had used for a while a 5DMarkIII and i had taken the curve of this one for the new profiles. And, for the colors, i had taken the original colors from the "Camera Standard". And, i did it for the "Neutral" profile too, because sometimes, i like to use this one.

So, the difference with the adobe profiles (neutral and standard) and my profiles, are only the Base Tone Curve (as you can see in DNG editor), and for the offset profile, an offset more lighten. They all share the same base colors : the adobe colors (that matches, unfortunately the Canon from DPP).

New Profiles for both 5DS and 5DSR you can see in camera raw :

Tested.png

Base Tone Curve from "Camera Standard" with adobe profile (strong shadows) :

Curve Shadows 1 - Strong.png

Base Tone Curve from "Camera Standard - Normal Base Tone Curve" (and 5DMarkIII Base Tone Curve) :

Curve Shadows 2 - normal.png

Well, hope these profiles will help someone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

now that Lightroom 6.8 has 5DSR profiles incorporated  does anyone know if they are exactly the same as the workaround profiles we had of yore?

Mac OS Sonoma, 64 GB RAM 27" 2019 iMac 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2021 Sep 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi from 2021, bro. You cried about tone curve in 5ds, so how you like new tone curves in new cameras? lol... Its just a hell... Adobe stop please. NOTICED - All nikon cameras have normal curves. (exam D850) Сorporate conspiracy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines