• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All RAW files now have new Extended Attribute but I didn't do anything.

Advocate ,
Feb 02, 2023 Feb 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all I am on Mac.

This morning I worked as usual on my Main Catalog.

I sued Any Filter bu @johnrellis to search a particular Exif field (that was though not found)

All fine.

I did a backup of my catalog a usual and then proceed to sync to my Backup HDD

ChronoSync tells me that ALL my RAW files now have a new extended attribute BUT I didn't do anything.

I can't figure out what happened and I can't see this extended Attribute even if Chrono Sync says it's there.

What could LrC or the plug-ins have done to create this new Extended Attribute?

How do I return things to normal for my thousands of RAWs?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Mac OS uses extended attributes for recording a number of things, including the date/time a file was last "opened" by an app using its Open command and quarantine information about downloaded files. At least in my quickie tests, LR and Exiftool don't cause Mac OS to add or modify extended attributes.

You can see all the extended attributes for a file by running this command in Terminal:

xattr -l <path-to-file>

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe treats raws as Read Only. 

While I use ChronoSync daily, it is hardly perfect and gets wonky, reporting conflicts that don't exist.  

How you return this to 'normal' is from a backup of course. If indeed its even necessary. But Ping John about this since you used his plugin. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog 

Yesterday evening I even ran Validator Plug in on all my files and they were perfect.

This morning I did a checksum of all of them again and they are not changed so this extended attribute is a mystery to me.

It used the Terminal.app to see if there were actually extended attributes in the files as Chrono Sync claims but nothing come out.

Problem is Chrono Sync has decided that I have all files out of sync in my Backup.

Can you explain this @johnrellis ?

I never seen this happening before in all these months on Mac.

It might be a problem with the new Ventura update that introduced yet new rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog 

Yesterday evening I even ran Validator Plug in on all my files and they were perfect.

By @C.Cella

Which is moot. Your checksum is fine, that's all you were told. 

Yeah, problem is ChronoSync; contact them for support. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guessplanation for what happened is that running "Any Filter" on all my photos and searching for EXIF a new Extended-Attribute has been attached to all my RAWs.

Chrono Sync detected this change and suggested to sync all files.

I used "Any Filter" before on Mac but this might have been the first time that I actually searched for exif data...and thus Exiftool was used.

@johnrellis 

Do I make any sense here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guessplanation was wrong.

I am trying to figure out what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS uses extended attributes for recording a number of things, including the date/time a file was last "opened" by an app using its Open command and quarantine information about downloaded files. At least in my quickie tests, LR and Exiftool don't cause Mac OS to add or modify extended attributes.

You can see all the extended attributes for a file by running this command in Terminal:

xattr -l <path-to-file>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

I think I finally figured out what happened.

This said I have ran the command the other day but nothign came up.

I guess I typed it wrong because I got the following: 

xattr.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Omit the "~":

xattr -l /Volumes/ARCHIVIOMAC/ARCHIVIO/2015/CLLCSM-20150228-0001.RAF

The "~" expands to /Users/cosimocella in commands typed into Terminal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@johnrellis 

I figured out that happened.

Thanks for sharing the  correct command to read theextended dattributes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines