Apple Photos workflow

New Here ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm thinking about attempting to integrate some adobe products into my workflow and I'm a little out of the loop.  I used lightroom + photoshop for years as a wedding photograper.  Since I stopped that, and as phone cameras got increasingly better I moved to apple photos.  My DSLR photos go in there, my phone images go in there.  Everything is in icloud and syncs to various devices (roughly 1.5TB of images at last count).

All this is fine and good while I was using apple laptops.  Apple photos is "ok" and everything is convienent so I made do.  Now with my windows laptop, icloud syncs my photos to my laptop but I lack a even a "ok" editing/organization tool.

What I'd like to do....  Is continue to having everything work as it is.  I'd like lightroom on my laptop to access my giant folder of images and be able to organize them within lightroom.  I'd like to be able to edit them in lightroom and here's where things start to get tricky I think.  Ideally I'd like edits to sync to apple photos - but I'm 95% sure that won't be possible without making copies or destructive edits (which might be fine in some cases - I'd like that option anyway).

In an ideal world, I'd like to have lightroom on my mobile device work in the exact same way.  Sync the organizational stuff from my desktop.  Access the originals from apple photos.  Do edits and have them sync through apple photos either with copies or destructive edits.

At the end of the day - I'm not going to pay for cloud storage at two providers for the amount of space I need.  I'm perfectly willing to pay a sub for lightroom if it will do what I need it to do.  If it only does a little of what I need maybe not.

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The workflow you are describing is how many wedding / other photographers are using their smart phone cameras and the Lightroom eco-system. There's a bit of a time invesment time to set it up initially the upside though is that you'll be able to streamline your cloud services. Check out this article if you haven't seen it yet:

[ https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/lightroom-mobile-desktop-features.html ]

In an ideal world, I'd like to have lightroom on my mobile device work in the exact same way. Sync the organizational stuff from my desktop.

1. You'll be able to import your organizational structure from your desktop into Lightroom Classic
Access the originals from apple photos.

2. There is a setting on your phone that enables auto - add of images from your phone. It can go into the general catalog 'All Photos' or you can set up individual folders to keep organized by client, for example.
Do edits and have them sync through apple photos either with copies or destructive edits. (do you mean non-destructive edits?)

3. If you choose to enable the 'auo-add' feature in Lightroom on your mobile devices you can edit them directly in Lightroom either on the device or on your computer and the edits (some attributes don't sync but develop settings do).

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines