• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best GPU for LR

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any advantage in going from a GTX1060 to GTX 1660 to an RTX 2060? Looking to build a new PC and want to make sure I'm getting the best performance and also access any future benefits.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may or may not help:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Lightroom-Classic-CC-141/Hard...

Mind you the R in RTX stand for RT cores. and Lightroom currently does not take advantage of (see linked article)

Also, while Lightroom might not take advantage of some features, do not forget about Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I had just read that - very interesting. PugetSystems were previously building their LR PCs with the 1060. Seems they are now using the RTX 2020. I was wondering if they knew about some future LR upgrade that will take advantage of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember they are actually into building for PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello davidg36166309,  I found the information on the link you provided extremely useful but I'm still left with some questions.  Recently, I installed a GTX 1660 Ti (software version 442.19) into my system (Intel i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 16G of RAM),  in an effort to get better performance out of Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop.  Interestingly, both of these programs will utilize my new GPU.  But my version of Lightroom (release 9.2, Camera Raw 12.2) will not.  After much research, Lightroom will not take advantage of this GPU unless I'm running DirectX 12.  That would mean upgrading my OS to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (x64, SP1), which I am not thrilled in doing in the least.  Windows 7 has worked very well for me with no problems.

My questions: Do I embark on an OS upgrade?  Wait until Lightroom is upgraded to utilize better GPUs?  Or wait until my current PC craps out, then buy a new system, which will have Windows 10 already on it?

Thank you!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mRoy62  wrote

Is there any advantage in going from a GTX1060 to GTX 1660 to an RTX 2060? Looking to build a new PC and want to make sure I'm getting the best performance and also access any future benefits.

Best GPU to solve what problem? What benefit do you want to get by upgrading your GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question is probably not very well phrased. I'm not actually upgrading. I'm asking that given I am building a new PC and will also but a new GPU which one would be best for LR and,.. PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you be using a 4K or 5K monitor, or will you be using a "standard" monitor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2019 Mar 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

Will you be using a 4K or 5K monitor, or will you be using a "standard" monitor?

JimHess​ asks a good question

Typically, 4K and 5K monitors causes Develop Module speed problems in LR (not for everyone, but apparently for some), especially if you want to do a lot of local adjustments which can cause LR to slow to a crawl with 4K and larger monitors. My advice would be to save some money, get a 1920x1080 monitor, and then you don't really need to spend money on a top end graphics card either, and you probably will not have speed issues in the Develop Module. If you MUST have a 4K monitor, then you need to have a good GPU, and as I said, local adjustments will be slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines