• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Black & White Treatment and Masks

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image I have processed in Color that has a mask that was created by inverting an object selection. The mask has a blue color applied (Color in the Color tab). I then converted it to black & white by applying the Black & White Treatment (the Adobe Monochrome was applied but all black & white profiles have the same effect), but the blue color still shows through as blue. Why is this?

I am including the color image, the converted image, and then a screen capture while I am clicking on the visibility eyeball on the Color tab to show what I expected the black & white treatment to do to the entire image.

If you can explain this, I'd appreciate it!

DJRf_15294.jpg

image.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 3.44.04 PM.jpeg

Mac mini M2 Pro, macOS Ventura 13.3.1, LrC 12.2.1

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

I don't think you were talking about the mask overlay, like @Rob_Cullen assumes. If I understand you correctly then what you did was add some color by using a color overlay as an adjustment in the masked area. This is exactly why you still see this color when you change the image to B&W. It is a color overlay, so you have 'layed color over the image' in the masked area. That works no matter what the underlying image is; a color image or a B&W image.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2023 Apr 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Mask Overlay will show on any image (color or B&W) when the mask is active.

A mask does not change an image in any way- it is the Adjustments you make in the Masking panel that change the image.

Your Blue overlay will show in both Color & B&W modes.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you were talking about the mask overlay, like @Rob_Cullen assumes. If I understand you correctly then what you did was add some color by using a color overlay as an adjustment in the masked area. This is exactly why you still see this color when you change the image to B&W. It is a color overlay, so you have 'layed color over the image' in the masked area. That works no matter what the underlying image is; a color image or a B&W image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I did not realize that is the way it works. Seems kind of strange, but good to know. Very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines