Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

C drive getting filled, while lightroom is not even installed there

Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a computer with 3 drives.
A 128GB SSD for the OS and programs I use often and want to be fast. It has about 12GB of space left. 

A 2TB HDD, and a 6TB HDD.
I used to have Lighroom 5.6 on the SSD, with all my photos and albums on the HDDs. That worked fine.
Recently I got the creative cloud, and I'm now using Lighroom Classic. It's filling up my C drive like there's no tomorrow. Just opening Lighroom Classic starts filling up my C drive. If I start editing photos, and especially when making panoramas or HDR photos, the c drive fills up, all the way, until there are 0 bytes left. Then Lighroom throws an undescriptive error, saying it cannot do perform the task. Fully writing to an SSD is bad for its longevity, Lightroom is killing my hardware slowly, not even working well in the mean time.
I've since uninstalled Lighroom Classic from the C drive, and moved it over to one of the HDDs. The cache location is on the HDD too, as are the both the catalog, and the actual photos within the catalog. All on the HDD. My SSD C drive should not come into the picture at all now.. 

... yet it fills it up within minutes. 
I cannot work like this, and adobe support was of no help. Does anyone know what causes this, and how I can fix it? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your System Information as Lightroom Classic (LrC) reports it. In LrC click on Help, then System Info, then Copy. Paste that information into a reply. Please present all information from first line down to and including Plug-in Info. Info after Plug-in info can be cut as that is just so much dead space to us non-Techs.

/edit/ content originaly below in this reply deleted as to not clutter up discussion, now that example is no longer called for.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can you post a screenshot from LrC, a screenshot of /Preferences/Performance/

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in Catalog Settings, where is your backup being kept (if at all)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 12, 2021 Sep 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a test on the reply button.

Yes, very annoying that the reply button only exist in the original post, not in a response/reply.

Button works, this from Safari on an iPad.

I have noticed oddities in the site, as if the server is having issues, or perhaps traffic issues.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged in on Edge now, rather than Chrome, here I CAN reply. 

lcc1.PNGlcc2.PNG

Lightroom Classic-versie: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
Licentie: Creative Cloud
Taalinstelling: nl
Besturingssysteem: Windows 10
Versie: 10.0.19042
Toepassingsarchitectuur: x64
Systeemarchitectuur: x64
Aantal logische processors: 8
Processorsnelheid: 4,0GHz
SQLite-versie: 3.34.0
Ingebouwd geheugen: 16209,3 MB
Beschikbaar fysiek geheugen voor Lightroom: 16209,3 MB
Fysiek geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 3862,9 MB (23,8%)
Virtueel geheugen gebruikt door Lightroom: 14502,1 MB
Aantal GDI-objecten: 893
Aantal gebruikersobjecten: 2737
Aantal proceshandelingen: 2727
Cachegeheugengrootte: 1146,5MB
Interne Camera Raw-versie: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximumaantal door Camera Raw gebruikte threads: 5
Camera Raw SIMD-optimalisatie: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Virtueel geheugen Camera Raw: 2472MB / 8104MB (30%)
Fysiek geheugen Camera Raw: 2484MB / 16209MB (15%)
Dpi-instelling systeem: 96 dpi
Bureaubladcompositie ingeschakeld: Ja
Schermen: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1080
Invoertypen: Multi-aanraking: Nee, Geïntegreerde aanraking: Nee, Geïntegreerde pen: Nee, Externe aanraking: Nee, Externe pen: Ja, Toetsenbord: Nee

GPU-info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (30.0.14.7111)

Toepassingsmap: M:\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Bibliotheekpad: M:\Extra Afbeeldingen\Fotos D7500 Raw\2021 - Zomer\2021 - IJsland\2021 IJsland\2021 IJsland.lrcat
Map Instellingen: C:\Users\Max\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Geïnstalleerde plug-ins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Facebook
3) Flickr
4) Tetheringplug-in voor Nikon

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Camera RAW CACHE, maximum size.

Your screenshot show it at the default value of 5GB, way too small foe even small catalogs. LrC might be reaching out to other resources as a result during develop mods. Try something more lime 70GB

2. Camera RAW CACHE location. (not the issue)

Fine, not on C. I had a suspicion it would be on C drive, glad to see that it us not. LrC can leverage hard drive speed for catalog location, and Camera RAW CACHE location. And on the flip side, for Windows OS, Camera RAW CACHE on the C drive can be a liability as it will compete fir hard drive read/wrights with the Paging file. Not the case here.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. LrC catalog backup location, Future problem

If I see the info correctly, you are placing the LrC catalog backup on your M drive. So not the C drive.

Problem is, your actual catalog is on the same hard drive. When that hard drive fails and you cannot access your catalog, when you need the backup, the backup will also be gone. Backups should be to separate hard drives than the material they are backups of.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

3. System Info

Looks fine, nothing stands out. Verifies OS, LrC, and GPU info as current, up to date.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines