Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I update Lightroom with Camera Raw?

Participant ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the last version of Lightroom Classic and I often get a message:
"This version of Lightroom may require the Photoshop Camera Raw plugin version 10.1 for full compatibility."

However there does not seem to be a way to do this. 
Under Lightroom's about it says the version of Lightroom is 6.14 and Camera Raw plugin 10.1. Bit of a contradiction there.
Can anyone advise please?

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's not a contradiction there. The message means that because Lightroom is at the 10.1 version of Camera Raw, when you choose to edit in Photoshop (which has its own Camera Raw plug-in), then Photoshop's Camera Raw plug-in should also be at version 10.1 or later, and that message indicates that it isn't.

If you are running Lightroom 6.14 (not the "last version of Lightroom Classic", which is currently at version 9.1), I assume you are using an older version of Photoshop. Open Photoshop and check its Camera Raw plug-in version, though I suspect it won't support Camera Raw 10.1.

In which case, you should choose the option to "Render using Lightroom" when you get that compatibility warning, which then uses Lightroom's Camera Raw engine to render the Tiff/PSD for opening into Photoshop (if the Camera Raw versions are fully compatible, Lightroom passes the raw file to Photoshop, which silently uses its own Camera Raw plug-in to create the Tiff/PSD). The only real difference to the user is that using Lightroom to render the file means the file is created on disk first....so if you subsequently decide to abandon the work in PS you'll be left with a stray Tiff/PSD file to delete. If PS renders the file, it's initially only created in the system cache, so only when you subsequently "Save" is the physical file created on disk. However, being an older version of Camera Raw it might not be able to correctly render some of the edit adjustments that you made in Lightroom using the newer version of Camera Raw, so using "Render using Lightroom" is usually the safer option for dealing with that compatibility issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm thanks for the explanation that's really helpful.
However I must be confused here. When I say Lightroom Classic, I mean the standalone version not linked to the cloud. is Version 9.1 a cloud version? Lightroom itself does not report any updates when I click the update button, and I can find no downloads for a standalone version of Lightroom beyond 6.1?
I just found this:

Lightroom Classic 7

• The most current version of Lightroom Classic 7 is 7.5.

Lightroom 6

• The most current version of Lightroom 6 is 6.14.

Lightroom 5

• The most current version of Lightroom 5 is 5.7.1.

Lightroom 4

• The most current version of Lightroom 4 is 4.4.

Lightroom 3

• The most current version of Lightroom 3 is 3.6.

I'm not certain how I missed out getting version 7, I have no memory of there being a release. Does that mean Lightroom Classic is in fact the cloud version and I am mistaken?
    Sorry if that's the case. 

LOL another page lists these...

Lightroom Classic

• The latest/most current version of Lightroom Classic is 9.1

Lightroom

• The latest/most current version of Lightroom is 3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 7

• The most current version of Lightroom Classic 7 is 7.5. ( equivalent ACR 10.5 )

Lightroom 6

• The most current version of Lightroom 6 is 6.14. ( ACR 9.14 )

Lightroom 5

• The most current version of Lightroom 5 is 5.7.1. ( ACR 8.7.1) 

Lightroom 4

• The most current version of Lightroom 4 is 4.4.  ( ACR 7.4 )

Lightroom 3

• The most current version of Lightroom 3 is 3.6.
  • I'm not certain how I missed out getting version 7, I have no memory of there being a release. Does that mean Lightroom Classic is in fact the cloud version and I am mistaken?
    Sorry if that's the case. 

LOL another page lists these...

Lightroom Classic

• The latest/most current version of Lightroom Classic is 9.1 ( ACR 12.1 )

Lightroom

• The latest/most current version of Lightroom is 3.1
Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 6.1 is not Lightroom Classic. Lightroom 6 was the last standalone version of Lightroom. You have the first update, which was 6.1. The final update was 6.14 and it isn't readily available anymore. If you go to your account it might be available there. If not, you'll have to contact Adobe directly for a download to obtain it. Lightroom 6 is no longer updated nor supported by Adobe.

In any case, it is NOT possible to update Lightroom with the camera raw plug-in. Camera Raw is for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. That technology is part of the Lightroom program, and the camera raw plug-in is simply used by the other program during the transition from Lightroom to either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. The plug-in itself is not used in the Lightroom processing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, sorry that was my mistake for mixing up the terms. 
My version is reporting that I have Camera Raw 10.1 installed so I guess I am content with that. I shall happily stop the message from popping up now. 
Thanks for your time Jim W and Jim H. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As said above, IF you go to your Adobe ID account, IE Login to the Main Adobe website, adobe.com, with the Email address and password you used to create your Adobe account and to purchase LR V6 and then go to Manage your account then Register a product you will get a page where you can view your Order History. Click that you should see LR 6 and to the right a highlighted link. Click that link you will get anoher link to Download LR 6.14. It is all One Download file (LR 6.0 including all the updates in one install package).

2019-11-06 06_29_05-Adobe_ Creative, marketing and document management solutions.png

2020-02-06 15_40_21-Adobe Account.png

2020-02-06 15_42_05-Adobe Account.png

2020-02-06 15_46_46-Adobe Account.png

If you haven't Registered your serial number you can do that first ands then get to the Download page I posted the image of above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote. "Under Lightroom's about it says the version of Lightroom is 6.14 and Camera Raw plugin 10.1. Bit of a contradiction there."

Yes, that was unusual, LR 6.13 was ACR 9.13, so LR 6.14 would normally have been ACR 9.14, however, LR 6.14 was a bonus update and the last one for the licensed non-subscription and was updated with the latest version of ACR available at that time.

You need to check the version of ACR that your version of Photoshop has at the moment, it needs to be at least 10.1.

That might require a subscription version of Photoshop to run ACR 10.1.

Screenshot 2020-02-06 at 5.08.24 PM.png

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; ( also laptop Win 11, ver 23H2; LrC 13.4,;) 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5,; Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines