• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Lightroom Desktop Classic do batch text and photo editing?

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone,

I have some basic Lightroom Desktop Classic questions before buying the application.  I have a lot of underwater photos, numbering in the thousands over many years, and my friend used Lightroom to bring out the colors in several of my underwater photos.  I was so jazzed by what I saw that I wanted to do the same to all my underwater photos.  It's all shallow-water snorkeling so I just use whatever sunlight is available and don't have any lighting attached to my dive camera.  I found a lot of Lightroom tutorials online for "fixing" underwater photos so I'm almost ready to go but have three questions about Lightroom's capabilities:

1. Can I batch fix (apply the same settings) to a bunch of photos, like set up the settings then push a button and Lightroom will do an entire folder's worth of photos?
  2. Can Lightroom batch apply text, like a  photo credit, with a preset color and location on the image to all images in a folder?
  3. Can Lightroom batch apply a watermark to all photos in a folder?

Ideally, I'd like the batching to run with no manual intervention from me, not even for Lightroom to ask Yes/No after each photo.  All of my photos are the standard graphic formats, .jpg, .png, etc., that have been downloaded from the camera to a computer running WIndows 10 Pro, 64-bit.  Many thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"before buying the application."

You cannot "buy" Lightroom-Classic. It is available as an Annual subscription to the Adobe Photography Plan (20GB).  12 months subscription paid monthly or annually.   $9.99 PHOTOGRAPHY PLAN (USA) 

1. Can I batch fix (apply the same settings) to a bunch of photos

Yes, easily.  Select all thumbnail previews of the photos in the Library Module, and adjust all in the 'Quick Develop' panel by moving the adjustment sliders.

Or, in the Develop Module, again select many photos, switch 'on' the adjustment 'Auto Sync' and each adjustment is applied to all selected photos.

Note: These Develop / Edit adjustments are only stored in the Catalog file and are applied to derivative photos when you Export from the Catalog.

2.  batch apply text, like a photo credit, with a preset color 

No, unfortunately, and a question often asked.

You can Export photos from the Print Module that can have both a Watermark and an Identity Plate.

For adding Photo Credits or Metadata information, that changes with each photo, you would need a Plugin that adds this functionality when you 'Export' derivative photo files from Lightroom-Classic.  A Plugin example-   MOGRIFY 

3. Can Lightroom batch apply a watermark to all photos in a folder?

Yes, You can Export (Save out) derivative versions of your photos with a Watermark (Text or Graphic Logo).The Lightroom Apps never alter your original photo files. Edits, Watermarks, etc, all require an Export process that 'saves' the exported photo with your develop edits and watermark, etc.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the answers.  I'll definitely look into the plug-in you suggested because most of the photos will need the same simple line of text for photo credit and thanks for the note about metadata.  I didn't even think of that but it'll be a good thing to keep with the edited photos.  Thank you again for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the text that is to be applied is constant (for all the photos being exported in a given batch) that can be done using the Watermark function alone. You don't need a plugin for that.

The watermarks are not previewed inside LrC but form part of the exported copy images.

You can choose the scaling and placement of the watermark, and if it is anchored to edge or corner, how far away from that it should be spaced. All of this is done as percentages of the overall image size, so the appearance is the same regardless if you are exporting a low-resolution or a high-resolution version.

Lightroom is very good at bulk tasks, and is easy to learn IMO - provided you are prepared to adjust your thinking, and set aside the familiar working steps that standard file-editing programs require. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines