• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you save edits on your photos without exporting?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2018 Jul 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have a question about saving your WIP photo edits. Is there a way of save the edits I've made to a photo, save it, and open the file later to adjust those edits?

The reason I am asking is because Lightroom hung up, I thought that it may crash. Luckily it did not, I was left asking myself if there is a way to save a source file from Lightroom. Then if the program did crash I would not lose all of the progress that had been made.

Is there a certain file type that would save a Ligthroom WIP file?

Thank you very much for the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WIP is not part of, or has no relationship with Lightroom. It appears to be just another photo editor that can edit 'Pixel-RGB' file formats- JPG, etc. I have no knowledge of WIP.

Lightroom development edits are all stored in the xxxxx.LRCAT database file that is the Catalog.

Only when you Export a new derivative image from the Catalog do the edits get applied to the new exported 'Pixel-RGB' image.

Adobe programs can also 'Save' and 'Read' editing changes to an .XMP metadata "Sidecar" file for raw formats and embed the .XMP data in Pixel formats. The option exists in preferences to automatically save .XMP data to photos, or it can be done from the Lightroom menus. Saving .XMP data to files is sometimes suggested as a way to preserve your editing of a photo, but it will only be recognized by Adobe programs.

Or can you explain more about what you are trying to achieve?

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WobertC, thank you so much for the information.

The major concern that I am trying to overcome is losing work if Lightroom crashes on me. I have an older system and while editing an album of photos, I keep encountering a lot of performance issues, many large lag spikes.

I am worried that if Lightroom crashed before I export my photos I will lose the editing I have applied to my photos. If Lightroom does crash would my edits be preserved or lost?

Thanks you again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

would my edits be preserved or lost?

A "Lightroom crash" (of the software) does not always crash the Catalog file, it may still be usable when Lightroom is re-started, but the catalog can become corrupt and then the edits in the catalog are 'lost'.

Saving .XMP data to files is a partial method of saving edits but it will not restore a lost catalog or much of the work, history and data that a catalog records!

The ways to prevent loss is-

Backup the Catalog FREQUENTLY. My Lightroom asks me to backup the catalog "Every time Lightroom Exits".

You can also copy the catalog file using the operating system to make your own 'backup'. (AND your photo files)

Most importantly- Backup the catalog to another separate physical hard-drive!

Do NOT have the Backup location next to the working Catalog location as a hard-drive failure will lose EVERYTHING!

You must try to overcome the performance issues following other common advice, including-

Reset Preferences,

Turn off the GPU Acceleration in the Preferences,

Update Graphic Card Drivers from the OEM (not just Windows updates)

Locate any possible hardware problems, disk failure, overheating, etc,

Read some of the help advice at- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/performance/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the detailed information WobertC​ much appreciated! I'll fiddle around with the suggested settings to see if I can remedy my performance issues.

Thank you!

Josh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 04, 2018 Jul 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Josh

Do you use Snapshots at all?

These of course are limited, but can still be accessed in Adobe Camera Raw as you edit . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Tony_See!

I have not, but it sounds like I need to give them a go. I appreciate the suggestion, thank you much!

As an follow up to the original post, I believe now that a failing hard drive was the primary issue causing my substantial performance issue. I started having a difficult time even boot the iMac up. I took it into the Apple store and had a tech check the harddrive, it in fact had a failing hard drive.

I ended up ordering a iFixit SSD upgrade kit. This of course made a big difference. It's still not perfect, but it's not nearly as bad as it once was.

Thank you again everyone for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines