Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon EOS R3 raw files

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! 

I've been able to borrow a Canon EOS R3, but I can't open the raw files in neither Lightroom, nor convert them in Adobe DNG Converter to DNG. Does anyone know of a way to either open or convert the files to DNG? I've seen some youtubers who've been able to do this, but I can't figure out how..

Would be great to be able to use the raw files from the R3 🙂

Kind regards from Henrik

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Oct 12, 2021 Oct 12, 2021

Well, while you are waiting, you should really consider my earlier advice:

You will need to use the software provided by Canon to convert the RAWs to TIF until such time as Adobe supports it.”

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Lightroom supports RAW files from Canon's R3 since version 11.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This camera is too new. No Adobe software supports it at this time. You will need to use the software provided by Canon to convert the RAWs to TIF until such time as Adobe supports it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, however I've seen that Vanessa Joy has been able to convert the EOS R3 files to DNG, and she's editing the raw files in Lightroom here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhNGc0jIoPc

I asked Vanessa how she was able to do that in the comments section, but she just told me it was a secret.

So, there must probably be some kind of Beta of Adobe DNG Converter out there, if so it would be great if Adobe would make that Beta public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no public beta of the DNG converter. Based on Adobe's long-term policy about supporting the RAWs from a newly released camera, you will get the DNG converter and support for this camera in Lightroom Classic when Adobe decides that they are ready provide such support, and not sooner.

Whatever is done in that video probably involves modifying (using third party tools) the actual CR3 file, which you do at your own risk, so that now LrC and the DNG Converter think it is from a different camera that is supported. Again, you do this at your own risk, potentially causing damage to the actual file or potentially rendering the RAW image improperly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I remember that Adobe did however relase a Beta of the DNG Converter last year, prior to updating Lightroom/PS, to offer people a chance to convert R6/R5 files to DNG. 

Hopefully Adobe will release a similar beta for the R3 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, while you are waiting, you should really consider my earlier advice:

You will need to use the software provided by Canon to convert the RAWs to TIF until such time as Adobe supports it.”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but the problem is that DPP doesn't work either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's not nice of Canon releasing a camera and then not supporting its RAWs. Adobe's excuse is that they didn't create the camera, and so it takes time after the release of the camera to make sure the raw photos are being imported and rendered properly, which I find reasonable. It's also not nice of Vanessa Joy to create a video using the R3 raw images and not be willing to state exactly how she managed to read the R3 raws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Max 2021 takes place Oct 26-28 and it's likely we should see a new version upgrade to LrC and ACR.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, let's hope that we do not need to wait an entire year from the release of the R3 to be able to work with R3 raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom supports RAW files from Canon's R3 since version 11.

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines