• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cant export images, Lightroom cant find original folder

Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2022 Aug 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Lightroom classic for quite some time now, I tried exporting a batch of photos and for the first time ever I received a dialogue box that told me "The original folder cannot be found on this machine."

I use an external Drobo server to store all my photos and videos and I'm connected to it wirelessly.

I can still access all the raw image files on the server through file explorer and I can even see them in my catalog library in Lightroom, but they aren't in the correct location there either (but still accessible). I'm not sure why lightroom can't find the original folder they are located in.

In the folders section of the develop module, Lightroom has taken all the individual folders from my server and mashed it into one big folder called 2022, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it either.

Is there any way I can re-link the folders to Lightroom in the proper way and not just one big mash of folders? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The location of the folder with the photos has changed or been renamed (or perhaps the drive they are on now has a different name or different drive letter). There should a question mark icon on the folder in the Lightroom Classic folder panel. If so, then here are step-by-step instructions to fix it: www.computer-darkroom.com/lr2_find_folder/find-folder.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured that as well but I'm not receiving any question marks and the photo's location path as stated in lightroom is the exact location on my external server of the photo that it says is missing. The photos are where lightroom is saying they are but it still can not export. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show me screen captures of the photo in Windows Explorer so I can see the path. Also show me a screen capture of the same photo in Lightroom Classic so I can see what folder LrC thinks it is in.

Use the "Insert Photos" icon to insert screen captures into your reply. Do not attach files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean. Unfortunately, I am seeing occasional reports about this exact problem in the last few months (and I don't remember this happening say a year or two ago) and I don't recall solutions being found. I would advise you to search for "can't export" or similar words. Unless someone else comes up with something brilliant here, I think we have an actual buggy bugg bugg. Could be a Lightroom Classic bugg or a Drobo bugg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, thank you for your assistance, it is much appreciated. I'm gonna do a bit more digging around for a solution since this has rendered me unable to export any of my previous photos in lightroom. All in all, kinda devastating! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try moving the photos to one of your computer's hard disk(s) and export from there instead of from the Drobo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just went through the process of moving the photo onto one of my computer hard drives instead of the server, deleted the image off of the server, and then located the new location of the image in lightroom and tried to export. I was met with the same result. Capture 3.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then this clearly points to LrC as the problem, not the Drobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have to agree. I just created a new catalog and imported a single image and was met with the same results. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to edit my work from this point on knowing I won't even be able to export it. Possibly an uninstall and reinstall of Lightroom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would certainly report this to Adobe as a bug. Make sure you mention all the details that you have stated here, that you have tried several different ways to export and all produce the same problem.

Just out of curiosity, that perhaps there's something wrong with the file itself, and your getting an error message that should be a different error message... can you upload this file to Dropbox (or similar service) and provide me with the link so I can try exporting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that might be the problem, so I tried using different raw images, as well as images that I have exported in the past that haven't had any issues and still everything refuses to export. I will report this issue as a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: Lightroom Classic 11.5

Windows 10 Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1526

I am not sure how to replicate this issue since I don't know how it started in the first place.

Lightroom Classic will not let me export images to any capacity. Upon exporting an image I am met with an error screen that says "the original folder can not be found on this machine." 

I have not received any errors or small question marks saying that Lightroom cannot locate the images prior to exporting. The file locations in lightroom show the location of the images on my computer. I use an external Drobo server to store all my photos and videos and when following the file path from lightroom it leads me to the exact location of the photos on my server as shown below. I am connected to the server wirelessly. 

I went through the process of moving the photos onto one of my computer hard drives instead of the server, deleted the image off of the server, and then located the new location of the image in lightroom and tried to export. I was met with the same result. 

Capture 3.JPG

Capture 1.JPGCapture 2.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post already serves as a report. It is not necessary to create a duplicate post. 

Reproducible instructions are necessary to file this with the Lightroom Classic Team. I cannot reproduce this on my end. Does anyone on this thread have step-by-step, repeatable instructions for reproducing this failure?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of your export dialog window showing the settings from top to bottom. The video panel does not need to be open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture 4.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try to export one image to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just export an image to the desktop and it worked without any error messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is, The G drive is the Drobo and all the other letter drives are hard drives within the computer. After successfully exporting to the desktop I tested it with all the other hard drives and it will export to everyone except the Drobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay that's good. Have you looked at the properties of the folder you tried to export to on your G drive? Has the Drobo been interrupted with a power failure and shut down unexpectedly? Do you have the Drobo connected to a UPS? Please check to see if you have a firmware update for the Drobo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There haven't been any power failures recently with the Drobo and in the past when the power has gone out it never affected the exporting process. The Drobo is connected to a UPS as well. I'm currently in the process of trying to see if there are any firmware updates but the Drobo login is causing problems. I'll reach out when I get in and find out if it needs updates. Thank you so much for the help so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see in that export dialog that your destination is that G destination, is that the Drobo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines