Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalog's Folders Depends On an External Hard Drive

Explorer ,
May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm editing my photos which are depending on an external hard drive.

I want to be able to edit my photos also when my external hard drive is not connected to the computer.

As you can see in the attached file, all of my folders are under "Extreme SSD" and not local storage (I know the folders are "missing", it's because I unplugged my external hard drive).

I have to mention that each folder is very heavy so I cannot copy them to my desktop.

What should I do?

Thanks 🙂

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Are you talking about Lightroom Classic?

If so, create Smart Previews for the photos of interest, and then you can edit them without the external HD attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 20, 2022 May 20, 2022

Yep, as @dj_paige says, create Smart Previews. These are stored with the catalog file, so assuming this is on an attached hard drive (including the startup drive), you can edit the files without the SSD. There are limits though, like you can't do full export etc. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about Lightroom Classic?

If so, create Smart Previews for the photos of interest, and then you can edit them without the external HD attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yep, as @dj_paige says, create Smart Previews. These are stored with the catalog file, so assuming this is on an attached hard drive (including the startup drive), you can edit the files without the SSD. There are limits though, like you can't do full export etc. 

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines