• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Catalogues and presets disappeared

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last night I upgraded lightroom as prompted and now I have nothing in my catalogue. I also have no presets, not even default ones. I've tried opening the old version of the catalogue and accessing the back ups, but I get told that Lightroom canot use the catalog because it is not writeable and cannot be opened. I'm not sure if the external hard drive with the catalogue and backups was disconnected when I upgraded Lightroom. So much work that I can't access and I'm feeling very stressed and confused by Lightroom! Can anyone help me troubleshoot?

I'm using windows.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely, the wrong catalog file got upgraded. Please do a search using Windows Explorer, of all disk(s) and all folders for files whose name ends with .LRCAT. One of these will be the catalog you want.

You backups won't open because you have to unzip them first and put the unzipped file into a brand new empty folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I caused the problem by hitting upgrade before my hard drive was plugged in (but I was so tired I can't recall with certainty if that was what I did, which isn't helping me work out what the problem is). I can find lots of files that end with LRCAT, and I believe I'm trying to open the correct one, but when I go through all the steps there are still no photos or folders in lightroom.  Attached is a screenshot of the files available to me when I'm trying to choose the original catalogue. I'm selecting the 'Personal Photos' one with the Lightroom icon that is 1612KB in size. Does that look like the correct type of file to choose. I select that it be upgraded and there is still nothing there after it completes the upgrade. Would you recommend I unzip the backup? Once that is in a new folder can it just be selected as a new catalogue, or do they need to be imported?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've now tried unzipping the file and clicking on the file to reload but get the following message... (In the attachment). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woohoo... I was doing a combo of referring to your message and searching how to unzip and reload a backup catalogue. And in the process forgot you said to put it in a new folder.... (does this break the problem where lightroom says it is currently being used?) Anyway I did that and I have them back.... and I can breathe again and don't have to ignore my family today. Thank you for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry... one more thing. Now that I have them there, do I have to save anything to lock it in as the catalogue I'm using, or do I just continue to use Lightroom and backup the catalogue every time I exit as I was doing previously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I have them there, do I have to save anything to lock it in as the catalogue I'm using, or do I just continue to use Lightroom and backup the catalogue every time I exit as I was doing previously?

By @Rebecca24259047cvrz

In Lightroom Classic, under Preferences, General tab, there is an option that allows you to choose which catalog is opened by default. Naturally, you select the one you have working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So for anyone following along... I have recovered them all, but it seems I now have to go and find the missing folder for every single folder I've imported, as there were no files in any of the folders (it showed the correct number of images were in each folder, including all their ratings, but I could't see any images). Annoying, and I suspect there's an easier way than the way I am doing it. But I moving carefully and cautiously through them, and I'll never update without my external hard drives attached again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rebecca24259047cvrz wrote:

Last night I upgraded lightroom as prompted and now I have nothing in my catalogue. I also have no presets, not even default ones.

Sounds like Lightroom lost the connection to the catalog and created a new one. Several people reported this problem. As long as you do not have any images in your catalog, you will not see any presets either, so that does not have to mean anything. You'll have to find the current catalog yourself, because Lightroom will also not show it in the 'Recent Catalogs' menu.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying the preset situation for me. I believe I am finding the correct catalogue that I want to open, but when I go through selecting it and agreeing to upgrade it, there are still no folders or photos in Lightroom. 😞 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines