Changing EXIF data when adjusting capture times

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Running Windows 11 v23H2

Lightroom Classic v 13-3-2

Recently took multiple photos in a new location without adjusting camera for 8 hour time difference.

New to Lightroom but following tried to adjust and the time and date shown in the EXIF data for the images does NOT change whilst if I go back into the Edit Capture Time Dialog Box it seems to have recorded the change.

It may be a simple fix but I haven't found it yet so HELP!

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Classic Forum by Moderator} 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2024 Jul 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are many different date and time fields within EXIF data so it depends which one you are talking about. For example, if you use the Edit Capture Time that will change some but others may still (deliberately) preserve the original date/time which the camera had recorded. Also there will be some manufacturer proprietary info fields which will not have been updated. Provided the right result then happens, e.g. so far as the "Date Taken" info reported within JPGs that you export, these other unmodified date fields simply do not matter.

Separate issue: for example the Edit Capture Time dialog updates the info in the Catalog DATABASE. This action is not the same thing as updating the EXIF data that is held by the imported image FILE. So if you inspect that, it may not have changed (and to repeat, if does matter which particular metadata field you are looking at). However, you can manually tell the Catalog to update (write out) its metadata to the external file. Also you can turn on an "automatically write XMP" option which makes this happen for each new change made (after turning the option on). 

Finally: neither the file creation date nor the file modification date has any necessary relation to the "date taken" - as originally, or as corrected - nor to the date imported, nor to the date edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on this: Lightroom Classic has the option to change the capature time in the file, even if that is a proprietary raw file, without having to write all metadata to the file (and into an XMP sidecar file in case of proprietary raw files). This option is here: Catalog Settings > Metadata > EXIF > Write Date Or Time Changes Into Proprietary Raw Files.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes: the only circumstance I am aware of where a proprietary Raw file can get altered by the Catalog (besides file renaming, moving to a different folder, or deletion). The XMP file is better to inspect anyway than the Raw itself, to review what metadata's been written out by LrC. I will need to refresh my memory on whether this option allows updating the Raw's date/time taken only, without requiring a full metadata write (which would in any case update the XMP file with all latest edits, regardless of whether Raw is being altered or not).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this allows to write the date change to the raw file, without having to write other metadata to XMP. I use this whenever I need to update the capture date, and I never write metadata to XMP. It als works for video, which does not support the option to write to XMP at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thank you for your response.

I have attempted to clarify my issue in a response to Richard. 

It is great to be able to post on this forum and get help from experts like yourself so - Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard, 

Thank you for your response. 

When performing the various actions to adjust the time taken (and in some cases moving the time taken by 8 hours will also change the date taken) I have been looking at the time taken that shows up in the Library view of the info for the image on the screen and this is NOT adjusted whereas if I go back into the Edit Capture Time dialog box it appears the time has changed! I would like to organise my images so as I inspect them I can see the corrected time/date. Hopefully this explains the issue? THANKS AGAIN   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't sound right. Perhaps a screenshot of your Metadata panel may help, to confirm what particular date field(s) you are looking at? E.g. grab-copy that area of the screen (Windows+Shift+S) then paste this directly into your post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for your response.

Hopefully this screenshot will clarify my issue.

The photo was taken at 12.19.05pm on 14.05.2024 but as I had not set the camera to allow for the -8 hour time difference the camera recorded the time as 8.19.05pm as per the Metadata on the RH bottom of the screen.

I have adjusted the time using "Shift by a set number of hours (time zone adjust)" but the box referred to above does not change.

Cheers,

Lynton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's that screenshot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshot shows 12:19:05 as the time, and that is exactly what you wanted to achieve, so it looks like the change was successful... I think you are looking at the wrong EXIF field in the right hand corner, just like @richardplondon suggested. There are many date/time fields, and this is not the correct one. Click the 'Customize' button and find the Capture Time field, not this 'Time' field (which I assume represents the file creation time).

1 2024-07-11 11-10-40.jpg

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the Capture Date of the FILE does not change unless I write the XMP out.  Using the Change Capture Date command ONLY changes the date in the LrC catalog.  It has always been this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the Capture Date of the FILE does not change unless I write the XMP out.  Using the Change Capture Date command ONLY changes the date in the LrC catalog.  It has always been this way.

By @Bob Somrak

I believe this is not entirely correct. Lightroom Classic has an option to write capture date changes into proprietary raw files. It is the only situation where it changes proprietary raw files. Catalog Settings > Metadata > EXIF > Write Date Or Time Changes Into Proprietary Raw Files. In case of RGB files, you may indeed have to save metadata to file in order to change it in the file as well. Anyway, I don't think that is the issue here. I think the issue is that the OP looks at the file creation date/time, not the capture date/time. 

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to WRITE the XMP to change the Capture Time in the RAW file.  If you do not it only records it in the catalog.

Write Time/Date to files in RAW in preferences in ON

Original RAW file Dates

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 12.21.38 PM.jpg

Changed Date to the year 2000 for both

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 12.22.07 PM.jpg

Saved XMP ONLY for 423

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 12.22.57 PM.jpg

Removed the two files from LrC

Deleted the XMP for 423

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 12.24.35 PM.jpg

Reimported into LrC.  Only 423 has the date changed in the RAW file

Screen Shot 2024-07-11 at 12.25.14 PM.jpg

To have the date changed in the file you must save XMP

     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to WRITE the XMP to change the Capture Time in the RAW file.  If you do not it only records it in the catalog.

By @Bob Somrak

You should not have to do that. The dialog is perfectly clear, it even warns you that the raw file will be changed. If Lightroom Classic does not really write the date to the file despite this setting being checked, then that would be a bug in my opinion. I just did a quick test, and it does indeed look like there is such a bug.

1 2024-07-11 20-48-42.jpg

BTW, I just tested it and the 'Time' field that the OP is looking at in the metadata panel is the file modification time, not the capture time. That explains why he does not see any change after changing the capture time.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga 

I agree the dialog SEEMS to indicate the change will be written to the RAW file automatically and this would be a bug but I was involved in an extended discussion long ago and this behavior was considered AS DESIGNED.  It was requested the dialog be changed to make it clear you have to actually do the WRITE command but the suggestions were ignored.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Why am I not surprised that Adobe made this as confusing as possible? 😞

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I went away on a six week holiday knowing I would take a lot of holiday snaps and thinking I would learn LRc as well - how wrong I was! I previously got comfortable using Picasa but knew I had to move forward. Obviously my mistake was not to change time zones in camera but I have been surprised at how complex the fix has been. Still not sure how to fix as I had the write command checked...Maybe I just have to live with it. HUGE THANKS to you and Bob. 

Cheers,

Lynton   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies - Johan not John!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is not complex at all. You select all images, use the menu and that's it. Your problem was (and perhaps still is, because you haven't responded to what I said about using the wrong EXIF field) is that you are looking at the wrong field in the metadata panel. The 'Time' field shows you the file modification time, and changing the capture time does not change the file itself, so the file is not modified. If you do want to change the date in the file too, then it takes two more steps (1: check the option to write into proprietary raw files, and 2: save metadata to file after you changed the capture date), but again not complex at all.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

THANK YOU for your help. 

It seems so much harder to correct MY mistake than I thought it would be. Before I posted my cry for help I had looked for the solution and thought I had all the boxes checked but it still eludes me. Anyway if it is so difficult to fix maybe I just have to live with it and move on.

Cheers,

Lynton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can customise which fields the metadata panel is showing you, according to your own preference and expectations. IOW, you do not have to "live with" however things are currently being presented.

richardplondon_0-1720781996447.png

But AFAICT everything is actually happening as it should: you are successfully correcting and updating the metadata relating to when the photos were taken. Only: there is some info showing for you (the "Time" field) which has made you doubt this. That particular field does not in fact convey when the photos were taken: it conveys something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2024 Jul 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

The times showing ARE the times the camera recorded but because I had moved time zones they are -8.0 hours out. So the times I am reading are correct and maybe somewhere in LRc the adjusted times have been recorded but what value is that if they are not displayed? It seems ludicrious that having followed the procedure to adjust the times recorded the corrected times are not shown.

From my very limited perspective it seems crazy!

Is there any way Adobe can be contacted and perhaps offer a fix?

Once again I THANK YOU for your insights.

Cheers,

Lynton 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read ANYTHING of this thread that explains how to customize your metadata panel???? The adjusted capture times ARE displayed, but you need to display the correct EXIF field and right now you are not (which is not the default, so you must have customized it already some time ago).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Johan, 

Believe it or not I am getting there.

My EXIF field now shows - Date Time Original, Date Time Digitized, and Date Time with the latter two changed to show the local time the image was taken.

I know it's been a struggle so a FINAL THANKS so we can all go back to something more rewarding.

Cheers,

Lynton

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines