• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Sync choice greyed out in Ventura

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just upgraded to Ventura on a new MacStudio. I'm printing with the latest Canon driver for my older Pixa Pro 100. When printing from Lightroom Classic, I am unable to select Color Sync, the option is greyed out, although I can select a custom profile in the Lightroom printer's menu. First print was totally off. Help!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2022 Nov 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly correct and how it has always worked with Application Manages Color. 

Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching, which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom, and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. This is exactly as it should be with Application Manages Color. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you digitaldog: that would be great if that was working, but it's not working on my system (as it did in on my older Mac Pro and previous versions of LR).  The application (LR) is not managing colors. I made more test prints this morning, and the only way to get accurate printing is to use "Printer manage colors", click Color Sync (not greyed out), and assign the proper paper profile that way.  For now this is my solution, but it's a very different work flow, and I'm not sure what difference it would make to the quality of my printing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always test output using good color reference images designed for that task. The color reference images RGB values are such that they are set for output and are editing and display agnostic. Test the output this way and examine for the same color issues so we know it's not your image-specific issues causing the problems:

http://www.digitaldog.net/files/2014PrinterTestFileFlat.tif.zip

And DO run a test using Photoshop as your issues may be your Print Template. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sending the file I used to make more tests. To make a long story short, I have figured out a run-around by saving a print preset (with the correct profile), using the Printer Manage Colors/Color Sync. Then I can use Application Manage Colors, giving me access to the rendering intents. In the print dialog I choose the preset I created. Works both in Lightroom and Photoshop. When choosing Application Manage Color, with color Sync being greyed out, although using the correct paper type and profile settings,  I recreate a bad print both in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, I have the same problem since today. Trying your workaround now. thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2023 Feb 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I am having he same problem with a Cnon printer where the color matchingturned into the Canon option (which is not what I want):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/help-printing-from-photoshop-disables...

I can't understand from your workaround if you solved the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Franck

I think I know what you mean: if I go to "Printer manages color" then when I go to "Print Settings" then I can select Colorsync. Then I save as a profile and when I go back to "Photoshop manages color" and select that profile, Colorsync is enabled (and grayed out)!

It's a total PITA, but it works.

Adobe: please fix this... (if it's your fault) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colorsync radio button should be grayed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that sometimes it is grayed out but NOT selected. There is some Gremlin lately (OSX Ventura, etc, etc) that changed this behavior. Before, Colorsync was grayed out AND selected....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is a Ventura bug; it should be sticky. Some software products are using a private (undocumented) SPI called kPMApplicationColorMatching which you see in Photoshop and Lightroom and the Adobe Color Print Utility. When you set Application Manages Color, the area of the driver that controls Colorsync will alter the radio buttons such they are grayed out. It's all an Apple controlled SPI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks thedigitaldog. Other than downgrading,, do you see any solution? I guess complaining to Apple wouldn't be of much help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can let Apple know, not sure how effective that will be. You can downgrade (might be rather difficult). I'm just double checking all print settings every time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem is that even when I check, there were 2 instances where the Mac chose the wrong Color management option, so I wasted 2 big sheets. Now I just don't trust that the Mac is going to choose Colorsync... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, there is one dirty workaround for setting the printer defaults using CUPS.

go to localhost:631 and after enabling Admin options (follow instructions), you can navigate down to Printer defaults:

zuru_0-1676949810315.png

At least some defaults can be set here, so for example, I always print to A3, quality high, etc, etc

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 8.12.28 PM.png

Color matching is still totay random (today I had both options selected randomly):

zuru_1-1676949971247.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2023 Apr 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!  That works for me.  What a pain and it's hard to believe that Adobe still hasn't fixed this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!  That works for me.  What a pain and it's hard to believe that Adobe still hasn't fixed this!!!

By @kenp86788046

Maybe because there's nothing for Adobe to fix. This is an Apple bug! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I lost track of where the blame lies in my exuberance of finding a workaround. How do you persuade Apple to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thnaks Frank - that works for me.  Did you report this problem to Apple?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is driving me up the wall. 
No matter what I do the printer wants to manage the colors and settings constantly reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually had to create a new user, and that worked. So for printing, now I switch to that new user login.

Give that a try and let me know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new user for Lightroom?  Wouldn't that require a second subscription?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new user for Lightroom?  Wouldn't that require a second subscription?

By @kenp86788046

No. 

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/add-a-user-or-group-mchl3e281fc9/mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new user in the Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2023 Nov 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you every find a proper solution for this? I am having the same problem in Sonoma. I own a print shop so its a huge pain in my butt. I print all day every day with multiple machines and have to fight this constantly.

Presets are not working very well at all. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines