• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Content Aware Remove does not work as well as Photoshop Content Aware tools

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom pretty much all day everyday as a wedding photographer. I love love love the person subject select feature. Game changer. The whole wedding community was also really excited about the content aware tools being added but they are not even close to as good as the ones on photoshop. That was a super bummer. Bringing my photos into photoshop for that small tool adds like 2 hours to my workflow and Id love to see the exact same tool in Lightroom and id even pay more for Lightroom if needed

They new content aware tools are pretty much unusable for us 😕 This goes for spot healing and the clone tool as well! 

I understand that if the content aware tools were just as good as PS I probably wouldn't need PS anymore but again, id pay more for LR if everything was in one place. Just wanted to share my perspective!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@maryomel wrote:

I understand that if the content aware tools were just as good as PS I probably wouldn't need PS anymore but again, id pay more for LR if everything was in one place. Just wanted to share my perspective!

I'm sure that isn't the reason. Adobe has put Lightroom Classic and Photoshop in one subscription package, so it is totally irrelevant to them which one you use. I do agree however that the Lightroom tools are not of the same quality as the Photoshop tools.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping they can fix it! As an avid lightroom user it would make a world of difference in my business 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen many posts over the past year saying that the PS AI tools were better than LR's.  I'd be curious to see some examples posted here.  Also, having lots of examples here would make it at least a little bit more likely Adobe might address the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we must remember, the Lightroom / Classic tools will never be of the same nature as the Photoshop tools under the hood, and their pros and cons can never in practice match up. IMO a large part of the point of LR / LrC is precisely to offer different talents and possibilities, than PS would. Sometimes one or the other proves so much more effective or efficient or flexible in some respect, that this comes to dominate our workflow decisions. In other respects it may be a wash. Swings and roundabouts / horses for courses / pick your cliche...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis 

Content Aware in LR and Photoshop have the same "core library".

I have tested them and the exact same repair shows blur in LR and Photoshop alike. 

As for the other Ai tools all Ai selections In Photoshop have pristine edges.

Here some examples.

This is Objects in ACR (witch Curves applied so it's not an overlay, it's the actual final effect)

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.07.15.png

This is Photoshop:

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.07.35.png

Photoshop fails big now with the chair BUT the edges are perfect..

Chairs are very problematic for Ai.

This is Objects tool in Lightroom, see the edges are not perfect.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.06.48.png

Photoshop is perfection.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.06.37.png

Hre is a slection in Photoshop

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.14.09.png

Here in ACR/Lr.

See the fog aound the foot, that's typical of Ai in ACR and Lr.

Screenshot 2022-10-28 at 21.14.20.png

ACr/Lr  selections have worse edges even if the algorithm is the same. 

@Earth Oliver 

Can provide probably even more examples than me, he first brought the issue to my attention more a year ago.

Edit.

@Ian Lyons has done very deep analysis of Content Aware problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@C.Cella Yeah, those edges are from a really old selection model that's already a few years old. Not sure what's going on with the ACR team and whoever their masking "expert" is, but they're obviously not very knowledgeable about what makes a good edge. Also obvious is that even though ACR is essentially a Ps plugin, those teams operate completely independently, and don't seem to care what the other is doing and how that impacts the UX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines