• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could LrClassic be affected by Xcode update? (m1 max)

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all

back in Aug I was on this forum rant a bunch about slowing down LrC. This happened again recently. then I realized that the only other change i have might be the Xcode update.

Could that be related?

When I say slow I mean SLOW! all across the board. building 100 1:1 preview could take 10-15 minutes, export 10 3.0gb tiff to 50mp jpeg takes minutes as well. zooming preview to 100% takes 5-20 seconds. In the meantime, cpu, ram, gpu, network, ssd are all relatively not impacted. (20-30% utilization). I have 600gb internal HD free space and 100gb paging reserve. catalog and files all on the same internal SSD. graphic acceleration set to auto. recently optimized catalog too. I've done everything i can to make sure that Lr is in optimal working condition.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2023 Jan 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 10.05.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 10.05.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 10.04.21 PM.png

   

Lightroom Classic version: 12.1 [ 202212072312-d7ab524b ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Mac OS 13
Version: 13.0.1 [22A400]
Application architecture: arm64
Logical processor count: 10
Processor speed: NA
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 65,536.0 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 10,501.4 MB (16.0%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 416,441.2 MB
Memory cache size: 9,072.8MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 15.1 [ 1329 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 4826MB / 32767MB (14%)
Camera Raw real memory: 4812MB / 65536MB (7%)
Standard Preview Size: 2880 pixels
Displays: 1) 2560x1440, 2) 1920x1080

Graphics Processor Info:
Metal: Apple M1 Max
Init State: GPU for Export supported by default
User Preference: Auto

Application folder: /Applications/Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: /Users/............
Settings Folder: /Users/..........

Installed Plugins:
1) Luminar Neo
2) Negative Lab Pro

Config.lua flags: None

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not aware of any performance issue related to Xcode.

Above being said, I note from your 'System Info' that you're still using macOS Ventura 13.0.1 Is there a reason that you haven't updated to 13.1?

I also notice that you're using two displays. You should note that LrC only supports GPU acceleration on the primary display, and with M1/M2 based systems is prone to very obvious screen redraw lags. Have you checked performance with only one display connected.

Also worth noting that there will be a performance hit (macOS scalling) with 4K displays configured for anything other than 1920 by 1080 and 3840 by 2160 resolutions.

BTW, I use a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 64GB memory, MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 32GB of memory and Mac mini M1 with 16GB of memory.  The only time I expereience performance issues on any of them is when I use two displays or when I use a 4K display set to 2560 by 1440 pixels or one of the other non integer scaling options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response!

I wasn't aware of the update. Just did it this morning. I am also unaware of the monitor issue. However, when I was using the laptop by itself, it was still very very slow. It takes at least 20 second to generate one preview. It was faster for me to "show in finder" and then open it in mac preview.app

There are other people on this forum that mention a performance hit after their latest LrC update. I tried to downgrade the 12.0.1 and it still didn't help. very strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MBP 16" M1 MAX and I have Xcode installed on it. I have no issues with Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your response. I am really curious what makes mine so slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines