• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop to specific dimensions?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2010 Jun 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to crop to a specific dimension?  I have a 3888x2592 image and would like to crop it to 2400x1600.  Problem I am having is I can get it to 2388x1589 or 2420x1619 or finally after many tries (over a minute of attempting) got it to 2399x1599.  Is there any way to FORCE it to a specific dimension?

Also, on export I know you can resize an image, but are you able to apply a resize within lightroom itself?  Can't think of a situation where I would want to do that, but just out of curiousity...

Thanks,

Clayton

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keylightdigital wrote:

Does it REALLY matter to you WHY I want to do a crop of a specific number of pixels?  The fact is some people really need this.

Well yes, of course it matters, if you're expecting something to do a thing it's clearly and unambiguously not designed to do - it'd be like complaining that a little 1 litre city car can't do 200 mph, even though you "really need" it to.

You use the tool that does the job - you don't buy a screwdriver then complain that it's crap at driving nails home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2012 Jun 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keith_Reeder wrote:

keylightdigital wrote:

Does it REALLY matter to you WHY I want to do a crop of a specific number of pixels?  The fact is some people really need this.

Well yes, of course it matters, if you're expecting something to do a thing it's clearly and unambiguously not designed to do - it'd be like complaining that a little 1 litre city car can't do 200 mph, even though you "really need" it to.

My question you quoted is why my desire for a new feature is of any concern to you (or anyone who doesn't want, need, or care about the feature in question).  If you don't need it fine.  But I - and others - do.  If it weren't for people asking questions like, "Why doesn't PS do this?" or "Why can't LR do that?" or even proposing new useful ideas...  a lot of the features that are available in programs today would not be there.

All (well most) of the Adobe CS programs work well with each other.  The fact that we can import  RAW image seqences into After Effects and AE will use the metadata from each individual image (for some file types, not true for jpg's) - metadata that was created by tweaking the images in LR - without first needing to export the images to jpgs or tifs, is INCREDIBLY powerful.  It saves a lot of time and space.  I can't tell you how great it is to tweak a set of images and then NOT have to render them out before I can use the changes.

But what would make LR even better, is being able to define a crop area by absolute pixel dimmensions instead of (actually in addition to) aspect ratios.  It would be a fairly small feature to implement in LR.

Keith_Reeder wrote:

You use the tool that does the job - you don't buy a screwdriver then complain that it's crap at driving nails home.

I suppose everyone could just stay mum about wanting a particular feature.  But then the chances it'll be added by Adobe in a future release are close to zero.  OR people can speak up, give examples of how/why a feature would be useful, and ask Adobe to include it in the future.

I went a step further and even proposed one possible way it could be implemented.  And for the record, this is the FIRST time I've ever asked for any feature to be added to an Adobe product, and went out of my way to provide an example of just one way it would be useful.

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2012 Jul 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keylightdigital wrote:

Here is some sample crop metadata that LR saves:

crs:CropTop="0.232327"

crs:CropLeft="0.587547"

crs:CropBottom="0.541667"

crs:CropRight="1"

crs:CropAngle="0"

crs:CropConstrainToWarp="0"

So LR is saving information about 3 corners (don't really need the 4th).  That's it.

Not exactly.

Lightroom is saving a fractional amount for 4 edges (as opposed to coordinates for 2 corner points (wouldn't need 3rd or 4th point if this were the case)).

The values that get saved for any given crop, depend on 8 different combinations of flip & rotate - that's why the saved values may seem unintelligible on some (re-oriented) photos.

However, your point (pardon the pun) is well taken: plenty of precision for exact cropping.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if you've been doing this, but you can crop to a specific ratio (through Enter Custom...), which in your case would be the very common 3:2 (then set the specific pixel dimensions on output, as, I think, you have been doing).

I don't think you can crop to specific pixel dimensions within Lightroom (save for doing this on export). The current setup is probably a better way to do things anyway, since you can use any region of your original photo at the chosen ratio, rather than having to use a 100% crop.

I've used this method for blog headers, etc., and I've found it very handy to just be able to set the ratio in Lightroom, select the section I want as a header, then export at exactly the dimensions I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 23, 2010 Jun 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've complained about this before too, and requested it be added as a feature. You can, however, enter exact aspect ratios, even if your pixel dimensions are greater than 999.999 (the max for LR). You can just enter it as a rational number, so 1900 x 1200 would be 1.900 x 1.200. These numbers provide the same ratio and will work in LR. Not having a way to specify exact pixel dimensions is just LAME, LAME, LAME and would be trivial to do in LR. WE WANT IT ADOBE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dunno if it's worth the trouble to you, but you can set the crop in xmp using exif-tool (or a grep util, or text editor), then re-read metadata in Lightroom.

There may be a plugin that automates it.

PS - To "resize" in Lightroom, export back to catalog. I've done this before for special-purpose images.

Cheers,

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 03, 2012 May 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an interesting topic as I become more familar with LR I have been considering using the print module rather than printing from PS. This in part by comments from some of the forum guru's on how much better the print workflow is compared to PS.

About 5 times I year I go into mass printing mode for my shows. I use pre-cut archival matts and buy in bulk to keep the costs down. So in PS I have custom crops that give an image about 0.15" greater than the window opening. This helps me keep the ink costs down as well (all about the margins, $ ones that is).

I have been experimenting with LR and output cropping to keep the workflow within Lightoom, but not being successful. For instance in PS I can crop an image to 4.15"x6.15" to fit an 8x10 matt (I let PS handle the resampling) and print a bunch of copies. Is this possible within LR, because I either I am really missing someting or doing somthing really wrong.

Any ideas more than appreciated

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 01, 2012 Jul 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

XmpCrop supports cropping to exact pixel dimensions:

Click here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Cole wrote:

XmpCrop supports cropping to exact pixel dimensions:

Click here...

Cool.  I downloaded and installed, but coming up with an error (which I've submitted via your site).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx - I replied...

R

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.  It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contrary to what everyone is telling you here, yes, you can crop to exact dimensions, kinda. I had the same problem. I first crop to a  specific aspect defined by the dimension I want, for example, 2400x1600. I do this by chosing "Enter Custom" in the crop box at the top right. You enter it as a 2.400 and 1.600, since 2.4x1.6 is the same as 2400x1600, and LR does'nt let you enter big numbers. Then, one you have it cropped to the right aspect, you can export the file to that exact dimension from LR using the Export command. I do this all the time to create exact dimension jpegs for my web site. Works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody is disputing whether you can export to exact dimensions or not, but if you read a little closer, you'll see the distinction some folks are making, and why they want to crop to exact dimensions, instead of exporting to exact dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK so its not possible in LR, is it possible in a pixel editing program like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc. without resampling?

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

OK so its not possible in LR, is it possible in a pixel editing program like Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro etc. without resampling?

Yes. - In all programs, whether non-destructive or pixel editor, cropping does not require resampling, only resizing does.

The *only* reason it's not possible in Lightroom, is the resolution when dragging the mouse for crop is too coarse (and crop-size not reflected while dragging), and there is no UI for w/h parameter entry. Lr can handle exact cropping just fine under the hood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DdeGannes wrote:

Yes, in PS it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

malathan wrote:

Is there a way to crop to a specific dimension?

Answer (in summary) @Lr4.1:

Via direct support in Lightroom UI: No.

Via manual xmp editing: Yes, if you are willing to figure out the correct values to use, and edit xmp using text editor, read metadata, and then save cropped photos for copy/paste in future.

Via XmpCrop plugin: Yes, you can crop to a specific dimension, quite simply.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a long, long time user of PS we've finally decided to add LR to our workflow, not without some hesitation from staff. Besides catalog sharing which I believe we've resolved there's this issue "cropping to specific pixel dimension" We have several odd sizes that cannot be changed one of which 1601x1149. Our goal is to automate exporting of images with watermarking and various image corrections.

Other than Rob Cole's possibility project saving plug-in (untested) we've found no way of automating the export of a specific pixel dimension without introducing PS back into the workflow before LR. I'm really amazed that this feature "common in PS" is not in LR.

Options we've tried are:

-Entering custom aspect ratio and entering pixels to convert, doesn't work.

-Export, Image Sizing, Entering Dimensions 1601x1149. The result is 1601x1144

Adobe can this not be a simple fix to include pixels and aspect ratios together?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Consider going here to request or vote on the feature

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/products/photoshop_family_photoshop_lightroom

(this is the user-to-user forum)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob I will. edit: After visiting there was nothing specific posted to voting so i posted a feature request.Feature Request: Crop to specific pixel dimensions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how one votes:

Feature Request_ Crop to specific pixel dimensions_2014-06-25_16-52-05.jpg

That rectangle with the '+1' is really a button.

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines